Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Study: Warming Caused Mass Extinction?

I saw this story on the Discovery Channel's website and thought it may be interesting since these people took a load of time into researching.

Jan. 21, 2005 — Global warming, not an asteroid impact, was to blame for the mass extinction of species 250 million years ago, an international team of researchers reports in the latest issue of Science magazine.

Paleontologists concluded that the disappearance of 90 percent of all marine species and 75 percent of land plants and animals at the boundary between the Permian and Triasic periods was caused by atmospheric warming from of greenhouse gases triggered by erupting volcanoes.
    http://dsc.discovery.com/news/afp/20050117/warming.html
    Kerry Jones

The researchers were able to use chemical, biological and magnetic evidence to establish that the mass extinction took place gradually over a period of 10 million years, followed by a sharp increase in the extinction rate that lasted another five million years.
    That is a very interesting article, looks like it may have been a gradual event, I still think it was an asteroid though.

yeah, but its also possible the world has a massive eruption from the volcanos as well. I mean imagine if there were hundreds if not thousands of volcanos and most of them erupted at one time. It would put alot of smoke and ash into the air, which would lower the air. If you put in heat along with this event it makes it hard to breathe. I'm not even sure how some animals were able to survive if it was a massive global warming. I find it very interesting.
    Kerry Jones

I don't agree with the gradual global warming theory, as in "history" terms.. the extinction happend extremly fast. Something would of had to cause the Earth's atmosphere to heat up so fast and for a long period of time, to raise all the oceans temperature and sustain the high temperatures for atleast 10 years. Anything less than that, the oceans would once again get lower temperatures.

Most people believe several large impacts a few thousand years a part started the chain reaction. The first one hit, which caused a lot of debris, dirt, lose matter to be injected into the atmosphere which blocked out the sun for a few hundered years. Then another one hit some where in Asia which only caused more problems.

Also seems a lot of scientists now think that large debri from a very large comet help to start the mass extinction, and not necessairly a large asteriod. It would also make sense, since the two impacts are in perfect timing with a very large comet that was in the inner solar system at the time.
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

They can't prove nefink until they can travel back in time

I've heard many theories about this including the one you mentioned. Another interesting theory I heard was that an asteroid struck the earth and it caused global warming.

I think we need to start planning for the future, instead of trying to figure out what killed off the dinosaurs. The fact is, global warming is here. Earth is changing.

Originally posted by RMF
    I think we need to start planning for the future, instead of trying to figure out what killed off the dinosaurs. The fact is, global warming is here. Earth is changing.
    "Earth is changing"? You say that like it's a bad thing. Or a think that we're to blame for... Earth is a dynamic environment that is in constant flux.

To be honest all the big stink over global warming is a bit of an overstatement. Much of it is based on very flawed climate models, or "theories" that are no better than a random guess. A lot of "conclusions" -- such as carbon monoxied increases causing polar melting or the ocean levels to rise -- have no factual evidience behind them or are blatantly untrue.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

I think the dinosaurs were being naughty and farted too much. Apparently methane gas traps 42x more heat can carbon dioxide.

Its very smart to learn about what happend, so it doesn't happen again... eventhough it will. The Earth has warmed up and nearly killed all life several times now. We are just in the wrong spot at the wrong time...

Arrow

Originally posted by amusive.com
    "Earth is changing"? You say that like it's a bad thing. Or a think that we're to blame for... Earth is a dynamic environment that is in constant flux.

To be honest all the big stink over global warming is a bit of an overstatement. Much of it is based on very flawed climate models, or "theories" that are no better than a random guess. A lot of "conclusions" -- such as carbon monoxied increases causing polar melting or the ocean levels to rise -- have no factual evidience behind them or are blatantly untrue.
    Global warming is a fact, and a transition we are going through. Like it or not, WE are the cause of it.

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Originally posted by azizny
    Global warming is a fact, and a transition we are going through. Like it or not, WE are the cause of it.

Peace,
    Is it now? Can you point to case proof that states that the average mean temperature of the earth is increasing caused by humans?

Note that I do not want an opinion, I want evidence and facts. Note if you find this information you should publish it as it has clearly evaded the scientific community for years, since the theory of global warming was originally discussed.

Even if the teperature of the earth were increasing it'd be near impossible to prove humans are responsable, even IF we are.

Please do not post if you're just going to quote your local newspaper.

Even if the teperature of the earth were increasing it'd be near impossible to prove humans are responsable, even IF we are.
    That just proved you "faulty" idealogy..

Yeah, there is no global warming.... Even if it is, its no us... Even if its us, so what!

What you just said is a total cause, If you do not know that Global warming is happening, you are just diregarding a scientific fact which is known all over the world (try searching google, it will help you)..

We might not be the only ones causing it, but we are the number 1 at doing so.

Someone has to change, us or nature, and im telling you when nature changes its gonna be really bad....

Peace,

I'm not going to argue with someone who clearly does not know the definition of the word 'fact' or what it means to 'prove' something. Or that thinks that because you find something on the internet it has to be true.

Thumbs down

I'm not going to argue with someone who clearly does not know the definition of the word 'fact' or what it means to 'prove' something. Or that thinks that because you find something on the internet it has to be true.

guess you are just a little bit lazy to search.... let me help ya out:

http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwa...ent/index.html

According to the National Academy of Sciences, the Earth's surface temperature has risen by about 1 degree Fahrenheit in the past century, with accelerated warming during the past two decades. There is new and stronger evidence that most of the warming over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities. Human activities have altered the chemical composition of the atmosphere through the buildup of greenhouse gases – primarily carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide. The heat-trapping property of these gases is undisputed although uncertainties exist about exactly how earth’s climate responds to them. Go to the Emissions section for much more on greenhouse gases.
    All extracted from the link above... I actually saw other information I didnt know.. it does pay NOT to be lazy.....

Peace,

Thank you for quoting something that proves you wrong.

There is evidence, not proof, that these greenhouse gasses are causing increases in temperature.

EVIDENCE.

We do not know if this is part of a global cycle, or if we are causing it. We never will. Anyone who says we do is grossly underestimating the complexity of earth's climate.

Should we cut down on greenhouse emissions? Of course. I'm not going to argue that we shouldn't, even if it's not causing warming it'd be a smart thing to do. But the simple fact is we don't know what affect they're having, if any.

Also, just so you know, the simple fact that Earth's average temperature is increasing is NOT indicitive of global warming. Global warming is the theory that human activities are causing it.

I'll tell you why they will never admit to global warming. The reason behind why they won't admit that greenhouse gases are causing global warming is simply due to the economy and the backlash of having in compliance to take drastic steps to cut down on emissions and the result of higher prices on cars, buses, etc.

How did I come up with this conclusion?

I figured out when my letter to a senator got back to me that the economy is more important than the enviroment.
    Kerry Jones

I am not necessairly sure if we are causing it, but its definitely happening. Its just a natural progression. The same thing could of easily happend in the "Dinosaur era", and i'm sure it did. The best way to find out what will happen in the future, is to find out what happend in the past. Most things come in cycles.. especially on this planet.

Theories come and theories go.

The Cooling World

Looks like the popular theory 25-30 years ago was global cooling.

Currently, global warming is the popular theory.

In a few more years we'll be back to discussing the dangers of global cooling.

The good and the bad: Global Cooling Kills Thousands

Stop the madness now!!!!!!

By the way, there is a study which should be coming out, hopefully soon, proving how flawed the research was that went into producing the studies that started this whole global warming myth.

if that is true, we are facing a serious problem. Then again we're already in the middle of a global warmin process. Within the year 2010 the temp on this planet will increase by 1-2 degrees. For example, the ice on greenland will be gone in less than 20 years if the global warming continues on the current path.

I don't even want to imagine what life will be like in 100 years from now.
    * Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *
    The only way to discover the limits of the possibilities is to go beyond them into the impossible.

It said evidence of 1 degree per century, so its not goin' to be 2010 before the temp increases 1-2 degrees.
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!

I've read scientific articles saying that global warming is entirely political, and has no actual scientific bearing other than theories, and conjectures.

I've also read scientific articles saying that global warming is a very iminent threat to humanity.

See what happens when we listen to science? Like adorno posted, 30 years ago, it was global cooling.

All science is, is humans trying to figure out God's creation by trial & error.

The massive extinction way back when wasn't caused by an asteroid, or global warming... but a global flood and change in the atmospheric oxygen levels. If an animal dies, it rots and decomposes within weeks. In order for somethign to be fossilized, it needs to be preserved and pressurized. When the floods came, and all the sediments were stirred up, and surrounded the animals, it created a perfect place for them to be fossilized.

Also, before the flood, there was a water canopy, and the oxygen levels of the atmosphere were a lot higher, leading to longer life for all creatures. Afterwards, lower oxygen levels, so life spans were shortened. The overall temperature dropped due to the loss of the insulating water canopy. All the extra water on the planet, along with the cooler temperatures created the glaciers as the flood waters froze.

Arrow

Thank you for quoting something that proves you wrong.

There is evidence, not proof, that these greenhouse gasses are causing increases in temperature.

EVIDENCE.

No really.... wow..... What else does prove something.... What proved that someone killed someone? What proved a person stealing? Isn't it nothing but evidence.

When you have evidence, then thats a fact, the most evidence the stronger the fact is..

We do not know if this is part of a global cycle, or if we are causing it. We never will. Anyone who says we do is grossly underestimating the complexity of earth's climate.

Should we cut down on greenhouse emissions? Of course. I'm not going to argue that we shouldn't, even if it's not causing warming it'd be a smart thing to do. But the simple fact is we don't know what affect they're having, if any.

Also, just so you know, the simple fact that Earth's average temperature is increasing is NOT indicitive of global warming. Global warming is the theory that human activities are causing it.
    Thanks!

Originally posted by RealtorHost
    I am not necessairly sure if we are causing it, but its definitely happening. Its just a natural progression. The same thing could of easily happend in the "Dinosaur era", and i'm sure it did. The best way to find out what will happen in thae future, is to find out what happend in the past. Most things come in cycles.. especially on this planet.
    Ofcourse we are... look all around you.. Sometimes when I drive around the city I see GRAY (almost dark to be black) coulds. I am sure thats not natural, is it?

Humans are causing polution and thats a fact no one can just ignore... Cars, Trucks, Factories, ect..

I am not saying we should stop them, but help make them cleaner.. Leave more forests to reuse the bad air... Many things we can do of which we simply aren't...

Originally posted by adorno
    Theories come and theories go.

The Cooling World
    Looks like the popular theory 25-30 years ago was global cooling.
    Currently, global warming is the popular theory.
    In a few more years we'll be back to discussing the dangers of global cooling.
    The good and the bad: Global Cooling Kills Thousands
    Stop the madness now!!!!!!
    By the way, there is a study which should be coming out, hopefully soon, proving how flawed the research was that went into producing the studies that started this whole global warming myth.
    <?php $theory != $Fact; ?>

Originally posted by Philipf
    It said evidence of 1 degree per century, so its not goin' to be 2010 before the temp increases 1-2 degrees.
    True..... Maybe not us, but maybe our Great grand children.... is it still ok?

Originally posted by amish_geek
    I've read scientific articles saying that global warming is entirely political, and has no actual scientific bearing other than theories, and conjectures.

I've also read scientific articles saying that global warming is a very iminent threat to humanity.

See what happens when we listen to science? Like adorno posted, 30 years ago, it was global cooling.

All science is, is humans trying to figure out God's creation by trial & error.

The massive extinction way back when wasn't caused by an asteroid, or global warming... but a global flood and change in the atmospheric oxygen levels. If an animal dies, it rots and decomposes within weeks. In order for somethign to be fossilized, it needs to be preserved and pressurized. When the floods came, and all the sediments were stirred up, and surrounded the animals, it created a perfect place for them to be fossilized.

Also, before the flood, there was a water canopy, and the oxygen levels of the atmosphere were a lot higher, leading to longer life for all creatures. Afterwards, lower oxygen levels, so life spans were shortened. The overall temperature dropped due to the loss of the insulating water canopy. All the extra water on the planet, along with the cooler temperatures created the glaciers as the flood waters froze.
    Hmm.... God..... Now how do you suppose Judgment day will happen if there is no global warming to excite it!

Peace,
    Last edited by Barti1987; 01-28-2005 at 06:51 PM.

Originally posted by azizny
    No really.... wow..... What else does prove something.... What proved that someone killed someone? What proved a person stealing? Isn't it nothing but evidence.

When you have evidence, then thats a fact, the most evidence the stronger the fact is..
    You do not know what evidence is. Evidence is an indicator something MIGHT be true, not that it IS true.

Ofcourse we are... look all around you.. Sometimes when I drive around the city I see GRAY (almost dark to be black) coulds. I am sure thats not natural, is it?
    What does this have to do with global warming? Gray clouds? The color of the cloud typically is just indicitive of how much water content is in it. Before humans existed there were gray, even near-black clouds.

You do not know what evidence is. Evidence is an indicator something MIGHT be true, not that it IS true.
    Direct evidence IS proof that something is true!

Circumstantial evidence MIGHT indicate that something is true.

There is neither DIRECT evidence nor CIRCUMSTANTIAL evidence to give credence to the theory that global warming is being caused by humans. If there is any cause for global warming, it is all the hot air being generated by the chatter about global warming.

Gobal warming is a VERY FAULTY theory based on very faulty data to try to make people worry about global warming. The global warming theory is JUNK science.

It is like a police officer thinking up theories about who commited a crime and how the crime was committed when the direct evidence is not available. Concocting a theory and then trying to sell the theory constitutes a bunch of lies.

You can use a theory about who or how a crime was commited to try to trap a suspect into confessing or catching him/her in a lie.

But, with a global warming theory, you can't trap a liar, except those that concocted the theory in the first place.

The world may cool down or warm up, but, in order to understand the causes requires understanding many millions of natural variables and the interaction of all of those variables. And, not just current variables but the same variables and many others in the history of the natural world. That would make any theory devised by man very impossible to believe. No theory and no computer devised up to now can truly begin to explain how warming or cooling happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast