load on new server

What's the normal load of a new server-Intel Xeon 3060, CentOS 4.4 32-bit, cpanel, 2x250 SATA II, 2GB of ram.

I saw it go up to .30 I didn't install anything, it's a fresh new server. Should I be concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by HD Fanatic View Post
    I saw it go up to .30 I didn't install anything, it's a fresh new server. Should I be concerned?
    It went to 0.30 and you're concerned? Is this a joke?

But seriously... I would say if loads consistently sit north of 6 to 8 you might look at getting another box. On the other hand if you can sit at a 4-6 load and not notice that it significantly impacts your web site's performance, then I'm not sure how much I'd worry about it. If it seems slow to logon, slow to load pages, etc. it's a good sign you need to add capacity. Long term I'd probably be more concerned about the punishment to swapping to hard drive vs. purely load average unless it is clear the load is impacting performance. Obviously at some point you'll cross a clear threshold where performance will definitely be impacted by load average however you'll probably be the best judge of that and I'm not sure there is any empirical figure or hard and fast rule that says when to add capacity.

You didn't install anything? Cpanel? APF/BFD? Nothing at all?

Seriously, serverminds pretty much summed it up nicely.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Cpanel and the basic stuff that comes with a Cpanel CentOS 4.4 server. I was just a little worried that if I start adding websites to it, the load may be much higher, seeing as it's at .3 idle with no one accessing it.

Chill out dude, there's nothing to worry about... yet