Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    I have to say Future are the worst publishing company I have to deal with. They don't send me copies of the magazines, so I don't even know if they have been printed unless I go and buy one from the newsagent or specifically ask them to send me one. This never seems right to me considering that they are the most expensive Internet titles around. I will get onto them on Monday and get this sorted out, thanks for letting me know.

In contrast I can highly recommend Paragon publishing to anyone, their staff are excellent, they always send copies of the magazines out and their Web Pages Made Easy title has in my experience the best cost to sales ratio for advertising. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

With regard to our upset ex customer, we do make it clear in our terms and conditions that resellers are ultimately repsonsible for all accounts they have with us, not their clients. However, if a reseller's client does something wrong I understand that this is not normally directly the reseller's fault and will do everything that I can to work with them to resolve the problem. The difficulty is when the reseller is not interested in working with us, in this situation there is sometimes no option to but to let the customer go.

Once again, in contrast, the vast majority of resellers have an excellent attitude to abuse by their customers and activly help us to maintain the quality of our services.
    Daniel Conlon
    Donhost
    http://www.donhost.co.uk
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Adam@OpenHosting
    I think that some resellers don't feel as responsible as they ought to feel.. A client of your own is not the responsiblilty of a host. The servers are.
    Very true. We take our "reselling" very seriously. We've achieved a good reputation, and good reviews, for providing the same level of service that Daniel provides to us (as one of however many) to our own clients.

They all know that we are reselling. It's not something we hide...we know the tools that are available to check into these things. Some clients have already stated that they intend on moving to Donhost themself once they "outgrow" us, and we'll send them with best wishes. We have a large number of developers who are hosting all their sites with us for less than what they'd pay for one site elsewhere.

Our success has depended on Daniel. And whether Donhost is one man or an army of workers, it has been easy and enjoyable. We'll "outgrow" Donhost ourself, and already have our first dedicated box in place. If it wasn't for the price of UK bandwidth it would be there as well.

Daniel...move to the US. :-)

Gary
      0 Not allowed!

I've started talks with Telewest and VBC to try and get good lowcost bandwidth in the UK.

I'm hoping to build up an affordable data centre to house dedicated and colo servers for sensible prices with one or both of these companies..
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Editor
    Our success has depended on Daniel. And whether Donhost is one man or an army of workers, it has been easy and enjoyable. We'll "outgrow" Donhost ourself, and already have our first dedicated box in place. If it wasn't for the price of UK bandwidth it would be there as well.

Daniel...move to the US. :-)

Gary
    What are you paying in the US?
    Daniel Conlon
    Donhost
      0 Not allowed!

I signed up for a reseller account with Donhost in good faith. All I wanted was a reliable host for a number of low traffic domains.

I left Donhost within 30 days. I could not stay with a company I didn't trust. The more I looked into the background of Donhost the unhappier I felt. Among other things I have already stated, I feel uneasy giving my money to a company started by a 14 year old.

I and my clients had been locked out for 18 hours. You cannot run a business like that. All I want is a refund of my money under the 30 day guarantee.

I would like to say that neither I nor any one connected to the account tried to bring his server down (as claimed in this thread) or have broken any of the Donhost terms.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Adam@OpenHosting
    I've started talks with Telewest and VBC to try and get good lowcost bandwidth in the UK.
    But what about BT?

If you want decent bandwidth (decent to my mind is no more than a couple of hops from Docklands) outside of London, then generally speaking it has to come via BT for some portion of the way. BT's prices are not what you might call lowcost. I can tell you that our costs for the circuits make up two thirds of our cost price for bandwidth in our Doncaster centre. The only way to get lowcost bandwidth in my experience is to cut out BT and locate in Docklands, but then the rackspace is at a premium so it is not viable for collocators who use only a little bandwidth.

Let me know if you find a solution.
    Daniel Conlon
    Donhost
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by donhost

What are you paying in the US?
    75c to $1.50 per GB.
      0 Not allowed!

Here's what we are faced with locally.

Bear in mind too, that quite often a trace from one state to another with go via the US where some providers have their Satellite uplink...

http://www.webcentral.com.au/prices.htm

In particular:

http://www.webcentral.com.au/prices.htm#dedicated

PII 500, 128Mb RAM
    6Gb IDE
    $550.00 setup
    $1320.00 per month
    1.5gb (yes, 1.5gb) outbound data
    200 Email Boxes
    Frontpage and Statistics

Each additional megabyte is charged at 18 cents per Mb. That's $180.00 per GB ladies and gentlemen. And these guys are cheap...we used to pay 25c elsewhere.

Our US friends can double these figures, and our UK friends can triple them, such is the exchange rate.

And people sometimes ask why we host offshore...

Gary
      0 Not allowed!

Certainly will. Telecommunications are about to go through a fast change soon. You'll see loads of small telecoms companies pop-up offering reasonable priced net access for hosts.

Inevitably the price war will begin and thus this might just be the break the UK needs to bring down its bandwidth costs.
      0 Not allowed!

With lower priced bandwidth will that mean we get better stabilty? faster connections? ....
      0 Not allowed!

But there are smaller telecommunications companies now. The problem is that they all operate local networks. The only company with a full nationwide network and in my opinion the only one there will be for some time is BT.

So you could have 5 different local companies providing 5 different parts of the same circuit from A to B and save a bit of money. But then what happens when something goes wrong? who's part of the circuit is down? who do we call to get it fixed? This may be fine for general corporate Internet access, but quality hosts need problems to be fixed promptly.

So we are left with one choice, BT.
    Daniel Conlon
    Donhost
      0 Not allowed!

Arrow

I would just like to say that up to now our relationship with donhost has been very good.
    Support is answered promptly and any problems with my clients are sorted via good communication with Dan.
    All has been good up to now and i think it will continue to be good for the time that we are with them.

Cheers

Craig
    GURU Cloud Hosting providing UK Based True Cloud Hosting.
    SimplyHosting Dedicated Servers Based at RG1, Reading. UK. All supported by our own 24/7 onsite team.
      0 Not allowed!

Exclamation

** I am not connected to Donhost in any way - I just have a point of view **

bttobin is obviously an unhappy customer - unhappy customers of this nature always fail to tell you the whole story in such forums! - You can see by his random attacks and statements that he is clutching a straws trying to make Donhost out to be this big bad enemy - it does not work for me.

I know for a fact that Donhost have a data facility near Doncaster - so quite what he is talking about I dont know! Again also I had heard of Donhost in 1998/1999.

The adverts all look fine to me - however if they were wrong it is no doubt down to Future publishing. They have broken their contract with us several times (now there IS breach of contract @ £30,000 + each time)

At the end of the day none of the people here know the full story behind this customer however if indeed he has broken the contract in any way it is correct that the whole contract is indeed terminated e.g. no refund. I would also think that time and cost spent in dealing with this has used up any potential refund.

My advise to bttobin would be to think carefully and consult a legal advisor with the whole truth before going any further as if he makes a false claim he could find himself in a lot of legal hot water!

Barnaby
    Supanames.co.uk

www.supanames.co.uk
    Domain + 35mb from £13.99 pa
      0 Not allowed!

The point with the smaller telecoms isn't that they will build an infrastructure. No one can afford to. Telewest, for example, won't be covering their costs until 2006. The smaller companies will use the telecom "giants" at mass discount. Since more and more of these will pop-up, the competition and pressure to bring the prices lower and lower will heat up.. This (we all are hoping) will become the turning table.. *finally*

You've prolly noticed that some smaller telecoms have recently closed. This is a classic sign that business is starting to heat up.

If you are a little confused, VBC is a good example. Take a look at what they offer and ask a quote, for let say, a 2 or 8MB leased line and compare to telewest and BT.. Let me know if you get quoted a cheaper price...
      0 Not allowed!

Question I am REALLY comfused!

bttobin has repeatidly said that Daniel from donhost is an 18 year old and he did this company at his 14?? IS THIS TRUE???
      0 Not allowed!

crikey, i seriously hope not
      0 Not allowed!

In regard to those wanting to know which provider to leech bandwidth from in the UK, just get one with some good connections down to London. ALSO check that they have decent connections AT London, with other providers etc. Thats the important bit really.

BT.net in the UK seems mightily slow to me. Its clogged with so much rubbish it chugs during peak times.

One idea though. Always plan ahead. To start with, one connection from say VBC might be spectacular, but as some of the US ISPs proved, one is not enough.

Choose a site where several connections could be made for future redundancy.

UPDATE: Come to think of it. I would seriously think about using a host who used Manap or Manchester in general. I know its excruciating to think about, but it could offer a cheap alternative to London.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: I am REALLY comfused!

Originally posted by theatis
    bttobin has repeatidly said that Daniel from donhost is an 18 year old and he did this company at his 14?? IS THIS TRUE???
    And this matters, exactly how? The very nature of your post would indicate that you are around the same age, yes?

I use a 17yr old programmer occasionally when I need to, whose Mum makes sure his gives priorities to his studies. This guys puts out good work in a timely manner.

Daniel provides a terrific service, and supports it in a timely manner as well.

Age is irrelevant. You're not going to get very far theatis, if your main concern is how old your business associates are. What matters is the results.

"On the Internet, you can be anyone"
      0 Not allowed!

Re: I am REALLY comfused!

Originally posted by theatis
    I am in my early 20's. I did not start Donhost when I was 14 although I would probably be sunning myself on my own private island by now if I had so I wish I had.

However, I believe young enterprise should be encouraged not put it down like you are doing here. Remember that some of the World's largest global carriers were founded by minors.
    Daniel Conlon
    Donhost
      0 Not allowed!

Good for you!!! The best possible time to start your own company and the best age for the company as its run by more passion for the job than passion for money!!
      0 Not allowed!

I am a former reseller of donhost.

Daniel does offer great support, and his services are very reliable. He notifies everybody when there is an expected downtime and when the server goes down unexpectingly he will notify you to let you know exactly what happened... even if it only goes down for 2 minutes. He does not sit back and hope that nobody notices.

I just recently left Donhost (about a week ago) but will continue to support them on this forum.

My level of respect for Daniel rose greatly with the professional manner shown when I canceled my account.
      0 Not allowed!

Angry openhosting.co.uk

Are you sure they are not using fasthosts ?

Domain Name: openhosting.co.uk

Registered For: Adam Saunders

Domain Registered By: FASTHOSTS

Registered on 01-May-2000.

Record last updated on 24-Mar-2001 by "robcrack@cableinet.net"<robcrack@cableinet.net>.

Domain servers listed in order:

NS1.OPENHOSTS.COM 212.69.234.193
    NS2.OPENHOSTS.COM 212.69.234.194
    ||| >> Web Hosting and PHP/MySQL development services.
    ||| >> Vacation properties rental script - we are selling and supporting it since 2003: http://www.online-rent.com
      0 Not allowed!

Are you sure they are not using fasthosts ? ...

Despite fasthost's poor webhosting service, they do also offer very affordable UK domain registrations at ukreg.com

Ironicly, that website is down at the time of this post
      0 Not allowed!

Openhosting where with Fasthosts but now they are located in a data center not far from me - Legend Internet
      0 Not allowed!

Angry ukreg?

Oh no...never thought I'd hear something nice being said about ukreg.

I've posted my experience with them over at Webhostdir and I don't really want to repeat it. Anyway, I'm getting my domains which were registered through them transferred over to 000domains soon. Let's just say that I won't ever use ukreg again.

In terms of price and Switch card acceptance, there's Nomodo which charges 6 quid/year but with a minimum 2 year registration. That's 3 quid off ukreg's price.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast