Hybrid View

2 Hosting Companies: One in California and One in NYC ?

Hi

Please forgive me if it's a silly question .

2 Hosting Companies: One in California and One in NYC ..

If they have exactly the same plan ( Same servers ) at the same price and I lived In NYC would it be better ( Faster ) for my site/forum to choose the NYC host ?

What I need to know is it beter to pick a host who i live closer to ?

Thanks so much

Dee
    VNS Support : I assure you that this company will not tolerate people. Virtuoso

I think it would be better to chose the datacenter that is close to where the majority of the members of your forums are from. So, if the majority of your members are on the west coast, I would choose California.

Quote Originally Posted by kotrt99 View Post
    I think it would be better to chose the datacenter that is close to where the majority of the members of your forums are from. So, if the majority of your members are on the west coast, I would choose California.

Thanks for the fast reply

Yes i meant where the members live ..(Slaps Self )

What if my members are pretty much evenly in Cali and Eastcoast ( Thats where most are coming from ) would it be better to pick a host in the middle of there somewhere or just settle on a host on eastcoast or west coast?

I know i'm such a pain..sorry LOL

Dee
    VNS Support : I assure you that this company will not tolerate people. Virtuoso

You probably won't notice too much of a difference even if the host is on the opposite side of the country. It would be much easier to manage with just one account (if you'd prefer, in middle grounds). The best way to pick the host would be not necessarily on their location but their uptime, customer reviews, and other similar aspects, and then if you're still worried, you can test the speed and see if it's reasonable (which most should be sufficient regardless of location).
    Othio Hosting - Private-Label cPanel Reseller Hosting
    True 24x7 Support | SSD Storage | cPanel+WHM | R1Soft Backups

You should be fine hosting it anywhere, as the website is a forum so there are no large downloads. As adakist said, I would look for uptime and customer support. You just want web hosting that loads up fast for everyone, or mostly everyone.