Need your toughts (vps and/or reseller)

I have been looking over the web for vps and reseller hosting but I don't really sure what to take. I guess I have to pick both instead of just one.

I'm going to create a ecommerce website which will have license checker which checks licenses every day for every project around 100 checks a day and it uses public / private keys (openssl). And it will also use apc or memcache to cache some data.

The second thing I need is to give my clients webhosting, most of them don't need apc caching just file caching is good enough and no fancy stuff that is only offered for vps (self installation). Those websites are most of them small sites.

The downsize is that vps don't offer that many disk storage which in my eyes I will need for my clients.
    Also my clients need cpanel I on the other hand do not.

Something else I considered is using a reseller hosting for everything and buying a really cheap vps which has memcache and I connect from reseller to memcache (if possible) but I think you lose the performance memcache normally give because you have to connect to an server outside your network.

I have a budget that is around 500 usd a year so around $42 a month.

Edit: the vps can be unmanaged it just needs cpanel if I would like to host clients there. (not a big fan of directadmin)
    Edit2: the vps should be located in europe (UK, Netherlands or Germany)
    Last edited by wardpeet; 06-05-2012 at 05:23 AM.

Futurehosting in the UK would suit you perfectly and within budget.

I have stumbled upon urpad.net which seems to fit my budget even better and have 100gb storage which will be more than enough for me.

Futurehosting only offers 50GB which is in my budget.

But I also would like some thoughts about what I said above

I'd recommend that you start out on a reseller hosting plan hosted with a reliable provider
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

The problem is that I need apc and/or memcache.

Quote Originally Posted by wardpeet View Post
    The problem is that I need apc and/or memcache.
    more likely APC, memcache least for PHP isn't as useful unless you're wanting to have the cache available across multiple servers, where as APC will be faster for single server setup. (in-memory caching is always faster than memcache if you are only dealing with the local webserver).

If you need APC then you're looking at a VPS possibly since most shared hosting (reseller or otherwise) will not likely set that up if they haven't already done so.
    IonVz - Nginx/FreeBSD/VPS Consulting | VPSNodeBox - Managed Support Representative

Why donut you post the exact resource requirements of yours. If we'd discuss your budget I'd say you would not find a reliable VPS and Reseller account. Only cPanel costs around $12/month, which leave you with $30 to find a decent VPS service. As you know European companies charge in euro. VAT also applies... mission impossible...
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

How much space are you talking about? In most cases, I can see a reseller provider kicking you off if you end up using more space than a typical reseller does.

Well I don't have to pay VAT because I'm a legal company and secondary I said around $42, so it might be a little more expensive
    + i could go for reseller hosting which has free cpanel and a small vps just for my site without cpanel.

Well I don't have to pay VAT because I'm a legal company and secondary I said around $42, so it might be a little more expensive
    + i could go for reseller hosting which has free cpanel and a small vps just for my site without cpanel.

This doesn't make sense, especially why would an "illegal" company not pay the value added taxes (let alone receive service).
    IonVz - Nginx/FreeBSD/VPS Consulting | VPSNodeBox - Managed Support Representative

He means he'll reclaim any VAT paid (as any business would) so it costs him nothing.

The downsize is that vps don't offer that many disk storage which in my eyes I will need for my clients.
    This seems to me like the crux of the issue. How much space are your clients actually using now? And how much do you think you need for them? It's very common for resellers to overestimate their requirements.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

I just like to give them enough space like 5gb for each acc but they prolly won't need it now I think about and if I need more I can always buy more I guess? But urpad is giving me 100 gb disk space and 1gb ram and I think I can ask for more if I need it.

And thanks foobic for explaining

Client websites using 5GB are very rare. If you don't know why they'd use that much (eg. storing videos), the chances are they'll actually use about an order of magnitude less. So don't get hung up on disk space. You need a VPS to run apc - get a good one and you should have no need for the extra reseller account.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

For sure its better taking a VPS due to the custom modules you have to run. Get a good VPS and you will be on the right way.

I think that a flexible hosting provider could also provide APC or memcache for you.

BB
    Live your Life, Everyday

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    Client websites using 5GB are very rare. If you don't know why they'd use that much (eg. storing videos), the chances are they'll actually use about an order of magnitude less. So don't get hung up on disk space. You need a VPS to run apc - get a good one and you should have no need for the extra reseller account.
    While it's rare, selling something like shared hosting, it's usually a number game "More for less" being better. Even if they never use more than a gig of that. So you either end up overselling disk space (which many seem to do on account of most people not using it) and watching for the content of those who do fill it up for any breach of TOS/AUP, or you simply don't oversell the quota.

you can take a look at

ovh
    fdcservers
    burst

all are nice but not managed.

I'd highly recommend using Linode. They have servers in London, UK.

thanks for all the help. I will look into those

You should start off with a managed VPS to run the APC/memcache modules, try contacting tmzvps who offer UK.

ok I have noticed that kloxo looks really great and I won't use cpanel for a while so what company and package do you think I should take.

Vps is needed to support some custom modules like apc.
    It should be located in the eu and it will be used to host small websites with small traffic.
    I was thinking starting of with 1gb-1,5gb ram and my budget stays the same around $40 a month (unmanaged)

ok I have noticed that kloxo looks really great and I won't use cpanel for a while so what company and package do you think I should take.

Vps is needed to support some custom modules like apc.
    It should be located in the eu and it will be used to host small websites with small traffic.
    I was thinking starting of with 1gb-1,5gb ram and my budget stays the same around $40 a month (unmanaged)
    Hetzner maybe ( http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_vserver/vq12 )? Round 12 Euros for 1GB unmanaged (KVM virtualization, based on a friend who recently signed up for that same plan). Located in Germany, bout 20 Euros (~ 25 USD) for 2GB ram.

Just keep in mind that unmanaged is actually "self managed" when you think about it.

Far as APC goes, just depends on how you install PHP, most of the time you can just use pecl to install it, but depending on the OS you could just install it from repository (i.e.: apt-get install php5-apc for example).