Wordpress + PHP + MySQL + Apache VPS Configuration, 512MB RAM

I would love to see a resource here that combines the best basic configurations for the main components of a Wordpress install. There are some old guides out there but many are several years old or only cover a couple aspects of server performance...

I am new to running a VPS and dealing with some of the myriad issues that come with a completely fresh install without optimizations. I am willing to share what I have learned so far but I think there are some on this forum that will have a lot more expertise than I have!

i would suggest more ram 512mb seems a little on the low side you probably want around 1-2GB or ram at least

Quote Originally Posted by coderiser View Post
    i would suggest more ram 512mb seems a little on the low side you probably want around 1-2GB or ram at least
    Yeah...I found out from experience that running CPanel/WHM will take 250-300MB of server RAM at any given moment. I'm completely guessing here, but hardened PHP may consume further resources. I have a CentOS 5.5 i686 1GB RAM VPS running A.nnotate and soffice and my memory is typically at the 40% mark.

Wordpress + PHP + MySQL + Apache on a 512mb VPS is totally possible.

I asked this same question a few weeks back. Acquired a 512mb VPS and installed Wordpress. I've never deal't with Wordpress before so I was surprised to see Wordpress (basic install + no widgets) consume almost 90% of my VPS 512mb of RAM.

Did a quick Google search and inquired on WHT only to find, it was Apache consuming all my RAM. An un-tuned Apache install + Wordpress + 512MB RAM VPS = fail.

What I did was:
    * Updated Apache (# yum install httpd).
    * Searched for Fine Tuning Apache on Google: http://bit.ly/gjPh5J I used Mediatemple's guidline on tuning Apache. Can be found here: http://bit.ly/dMvni0
    * Restart Apache (# /etc/init.d/httpd restart)

After using those steps, my Wordpress install runs flawless on my 512mb RAM VPS.

Though everything may run fine, it wouldn't hurt to fine tune MySQL and PHP to get the most out of your VPS.

Om running af debian VPS with 512 mb of Ram with several wordpress sites. It works great and with no problems.

You have to tweak apache and disabled innodb on the mysql server.

I'm using kloxo with 512 mb vps and hosting 7 wordpress blog. I'm squeezing ram by using this trick:

-switching BIND to djbdns -> saving about 50 mb
    -tweaking mysql (skip innodb, etc etc -> reducing mysql usage from 150 to 70 mb.

my vps now using 100 mb ram. I could squeeze more ram by switching to lighttpd, however since my websites are not high trafficked, I have no urgency to do so.

Please help me tweak this

968.8 MB of 1 GB Used / 55.2 MB Free

i just running a wordpress blogs
    Please tell me to make it in minium

Have you ever consider using Tux Lite - http://tuxlite.com/about/

With a LNMP stack on a busy site I still get a low memory footprint. You might also want to check your enabled plugin. It seems that you have a really large wp site there.

512MB should be enough for more than one wordpress. Of course it depends on your configuration and the amount of traffic you are getting.

Quote Originally Posted by gamejump View Post
    Please help me tweak this

968.8 MB of 1 GB Used / 55.2 MB Free

i just running a wordpress blogs
    Please tell me to make it in minium
    Whats your apache/mysql configuration?
    it seems like your system is misconfigured
    do you run anything else on the vps?

Quote Originally Posted by 4uhost View Post
    it seems like your system is misconfigured
    Why? 'Used' doesn't mean it won't be available when needed. Apart from that, this is a really old topic.

Man, I've been scouring the web for some sort of tut on this very topic. But I've yet to find anything. I'm just looking to host some WP sites that get low to moderate traffic on a very similar setup: 512mb VPS CentOS + Apache + MySQL + PHP. I don't use a control panel or anything but I really want to cut the fat on the stuff I don't need.

Any suggestions for a resource I can go to?

centminmod.com - Menu based Nginxm PHP-FPM, MariaDB auto installer script for CentOS.

Any thoughts on this?

Iliya Polihronov, who is partially responsible for the servers WordPress.com runs, gave a great WordCamp San Francisco 2012 talk about this very topic. He said NGiNX + PHP-FPM + APC + Memcached = WordPress.com.

You can find his talk by going to wordpress dot tv and then /2012/09/01/iliya-polihronov-high-performance-wordpress/

Well, PHP and MySQL aren't just best. They are mandatory. You can run your PHP as either an Apache module or through FastCGI, and that is an area of debate you can look into.

As to the memory, 500MB is enough for the original install but there are plenty of reasons why the end site is likely to need more.
    New Websites Web Design. Hosting. Marketing.
    ♥ Personal Support
    Fast Servers
    ►Best Backlink Services