X-Cart or SunShop - Pro's/Con's

Hi,

I am currently tossing up between X-Cart and SunShop for my Australian Business.

I have heard both negative and positive about both scripts so I have comming to you for advice.

Both are able to handle Australian Tax and Postage which is good.

I would like to know what people think of the software in a commercial environment. How it works on a server environment. How it looks and feels. Is the $50 worth it for Sunshop.

One thing that I do not like about SunShop is that you have to pay 50% of the licence the second year to receive updates.

Any comments on both scripts will be greatly appreaciated. If you are even selling one of these scripts even better.

Kind Regards,
    Paul Buckley

Sunshop in my opinion...better looking site all round and them x cart plug ins are a pest.

I'm pretty sure cscart handle australian tax...and it's a topper of a cart with a great in built skin selector.

http://demo.cs-cart.com/

owm
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.

plbuck,
    I would say X-Cart, not because my company leases and sells X-Cart but because of the support that is provided and the huge community of mod developers. When looking for a shopping cart, you want to make sure that there's a large support community. I think X-Cart has one of the largest.

Also, X-Cart has dozens of mods you can plug in.
    Jeff S.

Our company has used both carts.

Suncart does have a nice interface but has taxation issues. Once you define your taxes, they are all or none. Meaning, you either have tax on or tax off but cannot define whether each product needs only a specific tax, not all of the defined taxes. The do not do customizations and their support is little to none. They do reply, but provide no answers, they just tell you that you are on your own. The order number does not appear to get passed to the payment processor and get returned either. We are using Moneris with our Suncart so the order numbers between Suncart and Moneris will not match up. We have spent a couple of years now, back and forth with both of them, and it is still an ongoing issue.

Avoid XCart if you can. We purchased their product a year ago, have paid extensive fees for customization but still do not have a working shopping cart and have lost a substantial amount of money and time working with them. Now, after many issues this past year, the final issue, now that we have actually made it to the payment stage, is that their cart produces a receipt regardless of the response code that comes back from the payment processors. They now tell me that it is an additional customization fee for that "feature". It is a fundamental part of business, it is not an optional "feature". They have a lot of support but are very quick to skirt the issue that they are selling a faulty product and will not give us a refund to date.

XCart has an extensive tech support team but in the past year, our project has been passed from programmer to programmer and it has caused a lot of problems with consistency and them understanding our issues. There has been a few things lost in translation as well. They are Russian and their programming hours are much different than their tech support hours. I am now coding my own cart, which I know will work. The time I thought I was going to save a year ago has been wasted several times over now.

Do extensive research! I've been banned from the XCart forums because I am an unsatisfied customer and they didn't like what I was bringing to light. Call as many references as you can when researching your carts, they ones they list on their sites and others. We did and we still have been burned so buyer beware!

xcart sucks, CS-Cart rocks. Do yourself a favor and avoid xcart like the plague.

I have used X-Cart since 2002 and have found it to be a stable reliable cart. It is feature rich and now with it going to a CSS format it is easier to change. The company is also giving away a bunch of skins so you might find something you like. X-Cart does well in a shared environment as long as you keep the size of the store down to a managable level depending on your resources.

The only reason why they're changing to css is because cs-cart is getting all the customers and in x-cart just can't stand it, so much so that they ban from their forum anyone who dares to suggest cs-cart is a better cart with a difference. For the past months they do nothing but copy cs-cart mods, this has been expressed in many fora. They're taking even mods that were created by coders sharing in the cs-cart community, that's as low as any company can get!
    Now take a look at our wonderful forum at cs-cart, they even encourage questions like: cs-cart vs magento or cs-cart vs sunshop or whatever, so that people can argue nd express the pros and cons.
    Now, that's freedom of speech!

Quote Originally Posted by mirni View Post
    The only reason why they're changing to css is because cs-cart is getting all the customers and in x-cart just can't stand it, so much so that they ban from their forum anyone who dares to suggest cs-cart is a better cart with a difference. For the past months they do nothing but copy cs-cart mods, this has been expressed in many fora. They're taking even mods that were created by coders sharing in the cs-cart community, that's as low as any company can get!
    Now take a look at our wonderful forum at cs-cart, they even encourage questions like: cs-cart vs magento or cs-cart vs sunshop or whatever, so that people can argue nd express the pros and cons.
    Now, that's freedom of speech!
    Mirni,

I don't put much interest in why they do what they do in their forums. It is their forum and they can do what they want. Just like this forum. I have had long e-mail conversations with the X-Cart sales and support reps and I understand why they ban certain posts. I don't agree with it but it is, after all, their choice to do as they please with their forum. But until you know why they do it I would not put a whole lot of emphasis on it.

I tried CS-Cart many years ago and to be honest I was not that impressed with it. With that said, I just looked their site over from top to bottom and they seemed to have done a lot with it since I touched it last. Since I no longer have a license I will need to buy a new one but I think I am going to give it a try again.

Dave

This may be an old thread but I wanted to post here and let everyone know that the current X-Cart is horrible... I myself and many of my customers have had nothing but trouble with it.

they have so many issues that I would not wish them on my worst enemy.

1. Communication gap between Russian and English
    2. 24-48 hour delay on answering tickets.
    3. They only respond to a ticket once a day at best, so if you have a simple issue that can be resolved with a yes or no, it takes 3 days to get the answer.
    4. They also want to try and charge you to fix their own bugs.

and so much more... but I will stop there. I will also add that it seems they have had a major personnel or admin change as they used to be pretty decent. I have been using them for about 4-5 years, this recent upgrade has resulted in thousands of dollars spent on finding and fixing there bugs in there latest version.

most of there long time customers are upset with them but most of those post get removed on there forums as well.

Stay clear of X CART.....

Thanks for the warning. It was on my shopping list but after reading your comments, I will consider other options.

Suncart Vs X-Cart Vs Cs-Cart

I've only tried the trial version of X-Cart and Cs-cart and I must say the Cs-cart wins but x-cart is in my opinion worth what they sell it for

Suncart on the other hand - man don't even get me started - actually here goes my experience with them

and people don't take this lightly - I'm not selling anything here I'm only a consumer and I've decided to go with Cs-cart.

TWT - Turnkey Web Tools Sucks - dont use any of their services like PHP live Helper Scam thing and Their Awful Hosting they just buy from some other host and re-sell at inflated pricess.

well here goes.

Hi there;
    April 3rd 2011 when me and my husband purchased a product from TWT (turnkeywebtools). We bought the product, and did not receive access to it until the 5th and we were unable to actually load the product until the 7th, due to non release of a code we needed - but that’s neither here nor there - because after just 1 day of using the product of a 14 day trial, we decided not to use the product (due to bad customer support - rude workers at support center and high cost for simple product)
    8th of April: - we decided to get our money back;
    We called customer support to tell them that we wanted our money back. They said that we would have to fill out a cancellation form that was located on some dark corner of their website but I managed to find it after some time of looking for it. I downloaded it - filled it out and had to fax it in.
    That night after looking at the form we noticed a number on the form that said:"Cancellation Reference Number" and it dawned on us that this was a number that they were going to need and they would wait days and days before they let us have this number so we immediately called them and asked what this number was; and sure enough it was a number that was necessary in getting our papers submitted. They told us that they could not help us over the phone but that we had to contact them via E-Mail (Please note: This was the same man on the phone that told us that we needed to download the form from their website.) Why did he not volunteer the info when I had first called him, in the first place?
    we emailed them requesting the release number.
    8th of April 10PM:- At the end of the day we finally received the message asking: "Perhaps there is something that we can help you with? Please let us know if we can be assistance." To which I responded NO just release the number.
    9th of April 4:22PM: - They finally get back to us with the number and they advise us to look over the documents carefully so we did. and then we looked again. We were to send the paper by fax after completing it in full and signing it. There was a space in the PDF document that said that we could sign by Digital Signature which has to be added by code to the PDF Document purposefully. - So we digitally signed it and sent it off via E-FAX.
    We then sent message after message from the 9th on to be sure they got my fax and that everything was ok.
    It wasn't until the 11th that I actually received an email saying: "Your fax has been received and everything looks fine.
    I emailed them one more time on the 12th to make sure everything was still ok to which they replied: "As we stated in our last message to you, we will contact you if there are any issues. Refunds are processed within 10 business days."
    13th - "It turns out that there is an issue with your request. Can you please sign the document and re fax it. You still have until next week to get the form sent in but I would advise doing it as soon as possible." We signed it and re-faxed it.
    I didn't hear from them until the 20th saying that they received the fax and they would let me know
    And again on the 20th we finally received confirmation that we were going to receive our refund within 10 days
    We never did and they are not responsive to emails or my phone calls unless I call from other phones and then they just put us on hold and hang up on us after like 20 minutes.

I love X-cart because of its unmatched features and user friendly behaviour.

CS-Cart is worth the money if you want/need the support. They have good support. X-Cart on the other hand is a very good mature product. If you need support though you have to understand ahead of time that there are some downsides. First, now you have to pay for support from X-Cart even if it is a bug in their software. Unless you contact them thru their forums. If you find a bug and report it they usually fix it in the next release. If you can't wait that long you have to pay to get it fixed. Prices are reasonable for some things and not so for other things. If you have the patience you can search their forums and more than likely find your answer. And if you can't find it there are plenty of experts in their forums that can help you. Despite all the old rumors X-Cart is not the resource hog that it used to be. It is no longer slow and if you download the stable version you probably won't run into bugs. I have been using X-Cart for years and I have alot of customers using it based on my recommendations. Everyone is happy so far.

The matter with turnkeywebtools has been resolved.

after contacting the owner this issue ahs been resolved amicably.