Cloud Computing Service or Software??

Ok, i have a couple questions about open source cloud computing services or software. I'm trying to make a decision on whether to go with open source software and pay x amount to technicians or go with a turn key service already in place like 3terra. I think I'll save money over time if I go with open source, but will probably have more headaches along the way "naturally" . But for the sake of this thread, I'll stick with the open source direction. So here are my questions.

1. Which open source software should I go with? i've been looking into "www.openqrm.com" and "www.eucalyptus.com". Both only provide support on linux machines as far as I can tell. Does anyone here have experience with either of these in a real world or even test environment that can shed some light on them for me? I'm mainly looking for stability and ease of use and management.

2. Are there any other open source cloud software out there that supports both windows and linux machines in the same grid or that are simply better than the 2 above?

Thanks!

I also wanted to ask if there was any licensed stable cloud software out there? If so, that might be the way to go, as one wouldn't have to spend as much on technicians and also get the scalability needed.

Lightbulb cloud computing platforms -- open source and commercial

Sven,

But for the sake of this thread, I'll stick with the open source direction
    If you want to look at open source solutions, I think Eucalyptus and Enomaly are good choices to look into

I'm trying to make a decision on whether to go with open source software and pay x amount to technicians or go with a turn key service already in place like 3tera
    Quote Originally Posted by sven30 View Post
    I also wanted to ask if there was any licensed stable cloud software out there? If so, that might be the way to go, as one wouldn't have to spend as much on technicians and also get the scalability needed.
    You already mentioned the one in your original post. AppLogic by 3Tera has been in production for 3+ years and runs Linux, Solaris and Windows off the same hardware resource pool. It is available (a) a service from multiple providers worldwide and (b) as a license to run on your own servers (either for your own use or to offer cloud services commercially).

If you let me know what you need specifically, I am sure I can get you the right help (whether it is by 3Tera or by someone else).

Best regards,
    -- Peter
    3Tera, Inc.
    www.3tera.com - the innovator in grid and cloud computing