Cisco re-certification/IOS upgrades

On used equipment (for example, 6509s), is there any possibility of getting IOS upgrades from Cisco? Is there any sort of re-certification process? My only concern with used equipment is that often times the firmware is years old.

Quote Originally Posted by voipcarrier View Post
    On used equipment (for example, 6509s), is there any possibility of getting IOS upgrades from Cisco? Is there any sort of re-certification process? My only concern with used equipment is that often times the firmware is years old.
    better off finding a CCIE to get/do your upgrade for you.. without having to pay cisco to "recertify" the hardware and then buying smartnet on it.

Depends on your situation but most often its cheaper to have spares laying around....
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    better off finding a CCIE to get/do your upgrade for you.. without having to pay cisco to "recertify" the hardware and then buying smartnet on it.

Depends on your situation but most often its cheaper to have spares laying around....
    Is having a CCIE do the upgrade "allowed" by Cisco?

I don't know the "correct" answer for that. I just know CCIE = access to all of ciscos IOSs.

I don't know the _full_ power of being a registered CCIE but given the power that they have within cisco and cisco expects them to be consultants for the most part I'd imagine it would be "ok".

Maybe a CCIE can chime in on this.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6

No, you need to have SMARTNet for each device.

CCIEs only have access to the IOS for training purposes only.

Purchase smartnet get the IOS and do the upgrade yourself. If you're able to get downtime thats the best option.
    ...loading

Stupid question, but is SMARTNet purchased for the SUPs or the chassis?

Stupid question, but is SMARTNet purchased for the SUPs or the chassis?
    for ios upgrades, the sup. however smartnet = warranty. so if you ge smartnet on the chassis its covered.
    Yellow Fiber Networks

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    for ios upgrades, the sup. however smartnet = warranty. so if you ge smartnet on the chassis its covered.
    Yep, a SmartNet on the chassis covers every component in the chassis or any component that could go in the chassis, based off my last reading of it, though that was 3+ years ago now...
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    Yep, a SmartNet on the chassis covers every component in the chassis or any component that could go in the chassis, based off my last reading of it, though that was 3+ years ago now...
    Really? I thought it just covered the chassis and not the blades in the chassis and they were different smartnets?
    Yellow Fiber Networks

if i remember correctly, its sold per chassis, but there are some modules which require their own smartnet. depending on what you are covering the cost can be prohibitive for smaller businesses. if you purchased the hardware second hand, cisco will make you pay for your "own" license for ios, in addition to the actual smartnet contract. the equipment is good, the support contracts are generally outlandishly expensive. sure they could just sell ios upgrades . . . but like most companies, they want $$$. the hardware replacement aspect is virtually worthless for all but the most expensive parts, its usually cheaper to just purchase parts on ebay etc . . but if you want ios upgrades, you have no choice.
    Last edited by Microlinux; 09-22-2009 at 08:56 PM.

Legally I think you have to go with Smartnet. I think also you can legally to get upgades of IOS from companies who are authorized to do that (cheaper). You can also get warranty from those or other companies separately. And also you can separate support contact from appropriate companies. Or you can get smartnet (we had it for several years - had an excellent Cisco support - they will ask you for a serial number of the chassis and will help you out with any problem that you've got in that device)
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219

other companies can provide hardware warranties or tech support but you can only get ios with smartnet, at least for the carrier and core stuff.

Our vendors typically supply us with IOS upgrades and handle all warranty issues. Not sure if this is legit or not but it its many times cheaper than getting a smartnet contract on each device. One would think Cisco would shut them down if it was illegal or take the "authorized vendor" tag from them...

as far as ios, that's not legit (at least how its been explained to me). but, hey, its cheaper
    Last edited by Microlinux; 09-23-2009 at 05:41 PM.