Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Media Temple GS is terribly BROKEN

I had a lot of belief on MT offereing and thought to jump on grid servers as soon as November last.
    I finally registered 2 months ago and really pissed off by their service, MySql support. I think they are all out to break the trust many have put in them.
    I would love if WHT helps to put the issues we are facing.
    Ironically, we placed the same application on Hostgator Baby plan and it is working smoothly. We are offcourse not sure how speed effecient it is going to be on that plan.

We are making moderate use of PHP / MySQL. Our pages are no bigger than 20K.

The issues on MT GS:

The loading has peculiar problems we have never seen anywhere. Many times the whole site does not load in one shot. It will load the static part and stop. Then we press Refresh and the site loads properly.

Sessions are not consistent. Some time after Log In we are thrown to the home page, the page we he show when the session ends. It means that the sessions are closed intermittently with no reasons.

Site is slow.
    We are paying twice as much as we pay Hostgator and getting half the speed in downloading.
    Uploading is still slower.

- Gattoo

Sorry to hear that Gattoo. What's the URL of your site with them?
    TopQHost - We Provide Affordable Web Hosting with Top Quality Service

cellmagix.com
    When we cancelled the service, we had about 8-9 days left in our paid month . It is our right to have that much of time with us to use the service. Now we are not even getting access to it.
    This is way too much.

-Gattoo

Usually cancellations apply when you request cancellation.
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

MT actually let's you specify the date/year that the account is closed on. So maybe there was some problems with that?

Forget the cancellation but quality is more important.
    Nobody here seems to have any information, experience of MT/GS.
    I had sent mail to GS, the same message. I have not got any reply after 24 hours. So, they don't care.

Any service like Media Temples "Grid Server" including Rack Space's Mosso venture is not worth using at the current state. They are still in testing phases, and never should have been public use yet. I'd day were a good 2 years from reliable mass-cluster hosting.

and I'm sure MT does care about you, and your feedback, they are just too swamped at the moment to answer you.

But has anyone tried MT's Complex application hosting environments?

Technologies like MT's Gridserver and Mosso's massie clustered structure just not ready for public use yet. Plus, regardless of how many servers you have, you still have an actual CPU limit.

Yes, and grid not handled carefully is a disaster.

My guess is that the sessions broke while the grid was being rotated.
    As sessions are stored as a file in /tmp, it'll be lost if servers are rotated.

I'm not exactly sure what technologies they use tho, so don't hold me on that.

ugh this is horrible ...thanks for the warning

I have been disappointed of late by the performance of the Grid with my site experiencing issues ranging from MySQL inaccessable to PHP time out errors.

I do think that they will get there but with another delay in the public release of the MySQL containers, I don't know when that will be.

I had hoped when I first signed up that this would be the last host I would move to. I now wish I wasn't so hasty making the move to the Grid.

I'm finally leaving the grid! worst hosting experience i have had in 5 years!!

You're not the first one to have issues with MediaTemple's Grid. There have been a few other's as well.

I think pretty soon there should be reliable "grid" / "clustered" hosting. I've been looking for a good load-balanced cluster host but still haven't found one yet.
    Allanon
    vBulletin, Invision, phpBB and Gallery2 enthusiast
    my current webhost: imountain.com -|-|-|- my dedicated server: CIhost.com -|-|-|- dump host: Canaca
    my picture gallery: http://borgclan.com/gallery2

If grid/clustered hosting were to ever come (reliably) , it won't be cheap for at least the first year or so.

I now wish I wasn't so hasty making the move to the Grid.
    A new hosting solution, is almost a guarantee that some things would have needed to be ironed out after "real world" testing. That being said, I don't think anyone expected things to take so long.

If grid/clustered hosting were to ever come (reliably) , it won't be cheap for at least the first year or so.
    Somehow, in this case, I don't think there's direct relation to the selling price. All that could be taken care of via their GPU thingy, if they would see that their profit isn't a positive number.

A new technology will need alot of handling to keep it up.

It would take some time before the product is stable and the system is capable of handling everything by itself efficiently.

They just never should've used the (gs) for shared hosting.

Don't they do regular hosting, too?... (sorry, i've never heard of them before)

The (gs) package is their "regular hosting".
    ReliableSite.Net LLC - Offering Enterprise Grade Dedicated Servers Since 2006 [New York City metro / Miami, FL / Los Angeles, CA]
    Customers are our #1 priority - Read Our Reviews
    Need epic pricing on 1G and 10G unmetered? We have amazing deals and a 10 minute setup time! Click here to view incredible deals.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousServers
    Any service like Media Temples "Grid Server" including Rack Space's Mosso venture is not worth using at the current state. They are still in testing phases, and never should have been public use yet. I'd day were a good 2 years from reliable mass-cluster hosting.

and I'm sure MT does care about you, and your feedback, they are just too swamped at the moment to answer you.
    Doesn't Servage.net have a good cluster system? I've never heard problems with their cluster system not working properly or database giving random error or even sessions expiring.

I would have used them if it wasn't for the fact that they are so far away when I live and thus ping rates are not suitable for me, they average around 200ms.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

Quote Originally Posted by Anantha
    Doesn't Servage.net have a good cluster system? I've never heard problems with their cluster system not working properly or database giving random error or even sessions expiring.

I would have used them if it wasn't for the fact that they are so far away when I live and thus ping rates are not suitable for me, they average around 200ms.
    Exactly, there are many services offering clustered services. Just because 1 company doesn't do them right doesn't mean it's all bad. Think about all of the standard shared hosts who "don't get it right"...that just leaves more room for those who do get it right
    ReliableSite.Net LLC - Offering Enterprise Grade Dedicated Servers Since 2006 [New York City metro / Miami, FL / Los Angeles, CA]
    Customers are our #1 priority - Read Our Reviews
    Need epic pricing on 1G and 10G unmetered? We have amazing deals and a 10 minute setup time! Click here to view incredible deals.

Now, after accepting that Grid "has" problems and nothing can be done as of now (paying back is no option), MT is giving away a free month in DV. That too, after calling them and "hearing" about the terms and conditions.
    Here is the reply:
    Please call me between 9AM and 6PM UTC/GMT -7 hours. I will need to clarify the conditions of the free month of service.

well, the whole grid (ftp + web) is down right now.

surely this false marketing is illegal.

surprisingly, my site managed to consume 2GPU's while the service has been down

edit: took them a while, but looks like they put the power cord back in *sigh*
    Last edited by n9com; 04-05-2007 at 04:27 AM.

Somebody has to tell them not to throw unproven things at the public. We are spending money for nothing.
    Let them show the power of WHT forums.

Are you ready? Fill up the forum with as much as experience you have with the Grid.

I still receive replies to Mosso post, after some 6-7 months. When I called Mosso and told them I receive these replies, we was knowing the forum thread. Let MT too, know about it.

Gattoo

surprisingly, my site managed to consume 2GPU's while the service has been down
    How many GPUs does it generally consume per day?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast