Newbie question on hosting

Hello,

I have basically fried my brain the last few days looking over hosting forums for some answers to my questions. This site is by far the, maybe I'll say, only one I've found to be unbiased. Thank you for that.

My background...

I'm a Realtor that has good Photoshop skills. I am not skilled at Dreamweaver and or any other programs needed to build a site, but I pick things up very quickly and have access to all programs needed. I have a cousin that builds sites, but I want to build my own so I can be on top of everything. Control Freak? Yes.

I have a domain and started to build the site with my cousin one year ago. I am currently with Godaddy on a basic plan. It never got much past the front page. I then changed to a new Real Estate company. So now I need to get a site up and running for my listings, to recruit business and email.

My questions...

Being that I want to have my site up and complete, I am looking to use a host with a site design package. Then once I have learned how to build a site I will do so. What host would be the best fit for myself that is reliable, has good design tools for building a Real Estate site, and competitive prices. Also that will be customer friendly when I need to change plans. I will also say that I have had no problems with Godaddy, But I have not had many reasons to have problems. I am not opposed to staying with them.

Thanks in advance for the replies,
    Chad

Chad,

Personally I would recommend going with a web designer. Web hosting providers aren't always the greatest of designers but there's a few out there that offer it.

One that comes to mind is Midphase in Chicago. They have a site design package for about $500 usd and from what I hear they do some excellent work -- haven't tried it myself though.

A few other designers I've used and <3:
    http://www.vishnuprakash.com
    http://www.vreplay.com

Beyond that though your current provider should be sufficient for hosting your site as long as they haven't given you grief in the past

Maybe you can get a nice template from TemplateMonster.com, they are a lot cheaper than a freelancer, other than that i recommend using getacoder.com for your project, there are a lot of designers there and most of them are quite cheap, but produce excellent work

As you may well know, everyone is specialized on his field. So let the web designers do the design work and the hosting company to take care of the hosting.

I would also advice you to separate the both things, hire a designer to do you design work.

Quote Originally Posted by netagehostfan View Post
    There are a lot of hosting companies that offer web-design. Why do you say leave the design to the designers, when most hosting companies that offer design hire professional developers. My favorite is netagehost.com, which has several professional designers and developers with years of experience. Besides, my personal opinion is tha its better to have everything in one place. That way you only pay one person
    What domain do you host with them? How did you find them? How long have you been with them?

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Chad,

Personally I would recommend going with a web designer. Web hosting providers aren't always the greatest of designers but there's a few out there that offer it.

One that comes to mind is Midphase in Chicago. They have a site design package for about $500 usd and from what I hear they do some excellent work -- haven't tried it myself though.

A few other designers I've used and <3:
    http://www.vishnuprakash.com
    http://www.vreplay.com

Beyond that though your current provider should be sufficient for hosting your site as long as they haven't given you grief in the past
    Thanks for the info.
    I should have said that I need to get my site up yesterday. Planned on going with Godaddy's "site by tonight", just to get it up and running. Then figure out what direction I wanted to go for the full blown site. I do not mind using a proffesional for the final product. I just need A site up and running asap with the future being a custom site. Is my thinking logical and if so, what host would be best for my temporary template site. Again, I have not had problems with Godaddy but have read many of the neagtive reviews of them.
    Thanks again
    Chad

Chad,
    Thats going to be the problem...your choices will be overwhelming!
    Most hosts now offer some sort of built in site builder. Point, click and publish in a few very easy steps so just about anyone could accomodate.
    Im not sure how good the godaddy site builder is but you could try re-constructing it there too
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Just go with a cheap template, once you find what you are looking for. Then find a cost efficient coder on rentacoder.com and you should be set.
    data center directory - The comprehensive data center resource. Version 2.0 coming soon!

Chad,

Another thing to consider in the meantime if it's a rush is to utilize open source designs. Here's a few sites that have many, many designs you could utilize:

http://www.oswd.org
    http://www.openwebdesign.org
    http://opendesigns.org/

All free of course

if you have a look at most hosting offers come with cpanel and in fantastico you have a wide choice of templates for free or they is plenty of cmss their

I really like David's recommendation of using quality free templates.

if you have a look at most hosting offers come with cpanel and in fantastico you have a wide choice of templates for free or they is plenty of cmss their
    I don't see how cpanel and fantastico are the things that he needs. Most control panels come with some sort of application installer, and installing CMSs is not that complicated anyway.

I do agree though that, at least after this initial stage, a CMS might be a thing to look into for the OP.

Then once I have learned how to build a site I will do so.
    I agree that being in control has its advantages, but is web design a skill that will move you forward, in business and as a person? There are lots of things that you're much better off outsourcing, and will ultimately cost you less. Always put a value on your time.