Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Setting up a cloud?

Hey guys, just had an idea. Is a cloud effectively a server say with 64GB Ram, 4 x quad processes connected to a DAS with 20TB storage etc?

or have i completely got the wrong idea?

Best,
    Nathaniel
    SIP Trunking and VoIP Lines, Numbering (DIDs and DDIs), Low Cost Minute add-ons, Secure SIP and VoIP. Business and Enterprise Grade Quality, Low Cost and Highly Competitive. Available at: https://www.voipyonder.com/

No a cloud would be more of a computer cluster. Although you have the right idea by separating the storage and processing. A cluster would be more like 10 servers doing the processing and distributed storage as well, but being a "cloud" customers wouldn't know it was actually being run on multiple servers. We'll wait to see what one of the actual cloud providers has to say on the subject .

Larry has the right idea. A cloud is a cluster of servers where the resources are pooled together. This allows the host to offer a solution where the client can scale all resources (CPU, RAM, HD) as well as offer a way to interconnect those cloud server to other cloud appliances (Firewall, switch, database server, etc). This allows for everything to be in the cloud and not hardware based that allow the client to change their configuration on the fly.

It's not as simple as putting a few servers in a cluster, there are several companies out there that provide a cloud platform. One that you may want to check out is www.3tera.com.
    Right Servers Inc. - Fully Managed VPS and Fully Managed Bare Metal Servers in US & Canada. We want to empower entrepreneurs to grow their business, not their IT headaches. Managed is better.
    High Availability | SSD | DirectAdmin & Softaculous | Daily Backups |Firewall & Security |30 Day Money Back Guarantee

Cloud is more than a high capacity server. If you have a single node, then its not a cloud. I would say minimum 2 hardware nodes with proper interconnections and clustering (active/active), properly configured cluster ware (Grid software ?), centralized firewall, centralized load balencer ... all of the above will form a Cloud platform.

Part of the 'cloud computing' getting so much buzz is the ability to "auto-provision" services as needed (i.e. new customers or, as required - load). I don't think you can start talking about a cloud or grid until you get around to 32way/64way servers being linked together to provide multi-tenant services.

A "Cloud" is not just a HA cluster or any kind of computer (server) system which can handle a heavy applications or load. In web hosting "Cloud" refers to a different model of providing and using web hosting service, based on performance billing. Go to WHT Wiki to read more about Cloud Hosting.
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

You can also goto VMware's website, they have some good screen shots etc explaining what it is. I've seen how it works across ~100 servers in 3 different DC's and it's pretty amazing on the technology.

Ubuntu cloud-computing components released
    By Rupert Goodwins, ZDNet UK | 2009/04/27 11:49:01

With the launch of version 9.04, Jaunty Jackalope, Ubuntu Server Edition is available on Amazon EC2, while Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud is an EC2-compatible system that can create a cloud on a company's own network.

The Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud system is based on Ubuntu Server Edition 9.04 and Eucalyptus, a system with an EC2-compatible API, elastic block storage (EBS) equivalent and an S3 compatible storage manager. With it, the company said, users can build their own private clouds entirely from open-source components.
    There are similar developments in BSD land too.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

You can also take http://www.eucalyptus.com/ for a spin. It's open source and uses similar EC2 api calls
    Datums Internet Solutions, LLC
    Systems Engineering & Managed Hosting Services
    Complex Hosting Consultants

A cloud hosting architecture can be defined as a cluster of servers with elastic load balancing.It can be seen as a multinode structure capable of scaling with all the nodes capable of sharing the load.

Quote Originally Posted by CymraegWalesHosting View Post
    Hey guys, just had an idea. Is a cloud effectively a server say with 64GB Ram, 4 x quad processes connected to a DAS with 20TB storage etc?

or have i completely got the wrong idea?

Best,
    Nathaniel

Read the contents from the below link to get an idea about cloud
    http://www.networkworld.com/newslett...cloudsec2.html
    Blessen Cherian
    Follow me on twitter.com/blessenonly
    Two decade in Web Hosting Industry

Well i would just like to say thank you all. Over the past 3 - 4 months i have learn't so much about cloud computing and have invested in nearly £15,000 on our brand new UK Cloud Infrastructure.

Although our cloud is now open for general use, we are adding new features to it all the time. We have built it off the OpenQRM infrastructure. We also use the High Availability feature which means, entire VPS's and Virtual VPS Nodes are automatically swapped over in a flash to a new server within 60seconds.
    SIP Trunking and VoIP Lines, Numbering (DIDs and DDIs), Low Cost Minute add-ons, Secure SIP and VoIP. Business and Enterprise Grade Quality, Low Cost and Highly Competitive. Available at: https://www.voipyonder.com/

an interesting link http://zrgjo.tk

best
    Last edited by isparky; 07-16-2009 at 05:09 AM. Reason: copy paste error
    Datacenter Luxembourg
    sglange AT dclux DOT com

but what are the benefits of cloud hosting over getting say, a single server, or a load balanced setup? wouldn't hardware costs be prohibitive for a cloud setup?

The benefits is High Availability, Scalability and performance.

Question for you Cloud providers, which backend clouding software do you use?

Xen Cloud (premature I think), Citrix XenServer, 3tera, OpenQRM? And why do you use it instead of others?
    www.opticip.com - Optic IP LLC

Hi!

We utilize the Applogic Plattform by 3tera for our cloud solution here at ScaleUp Technologies. We are very happy with it! If you would like to chat with me about it, just let me know.

Christoph

We use 3tera as well and have been for well over two years. They provide you with an easy to use interface to manage your applications as well as the tools to create new applications. If you ever have an issue, their support is pretty solid and we can always count on them to resolve issues in a timely fashion.

I mean, we wouldn't be a partner with them unless I thought it was a solid platform now would we?

If you have any questions or concerns, you can ask me as well. I know how tough these decisions are and it's always best to have use case scenarios.

Good luck with your choice.

Yazan
    Right Servers Inc. - Fully Managed VPS and Fully Managed Bare Metal Servers in US & Canada. We want to empower entrepreneurs to grow their business, not their IT headaches. Managed is better.
    High Availability | SSD | DirectAdmin & Softaculous | Daily Backups |Firewall & Security |30 Day Money Back Guarantee

Cirrhus9 has been using 3Tera as well, for just about 2 years now. It's a solid platform with excellent customer support, 24/7 if needed.

There are others out there but, we've stuck with 3Tera because we feel it's the best and most mature platform available.

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Mike

The issue I have with 3Tera is that there isn't an API. It would be very difficult to create a control panel for end users to manage their VM. They say their API is in beta, and may be ready in Q3. Even then it would still be unproven.

Does anyone know how the 3tera disk performance compare with centralized storage units similar to NAS/iSCSI that other cloud software utilizes (XenServer, ETC)? Curious as to how the grid HD i/o performance compares as opposed to centralized storage.

3tera applogic is the best

We are using Virtuozzo. We have no problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ibee View Post
    3tera applogic is the best
    Please expound

Quote Originally Posted by DMEHosting View Post
    Does anyone know how the 3tera disk performance compare with centralized storage units similar to NAS/iSCSI that other cloud software utilizes (XenServer, ETC)? Curious as to how the grid HD i/o performance compares as opposed to centralized storage.
    Here is a good article on the subject. Not directly related to the app logic performance but Local attached storage VS San

http://www.sqlteam.com/article/which...tached-storage
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN sales@ceridius.com
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast