Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I don't think you should take an iPad unless you have a real purpose on it. If your real purpose is for fun and to show the world that you had an iPad, it's not worth it. Before you commit to buy any fancy items like the Apple iPad, think about the purpose first. For me, I really don't need it (even my dad has one) coz' I had a fully-functioned laptop for business.

Doing photoshop job on ipad will be like you are fighting sword fight with needle.

If you love to read, check emails, playing games, watching movies and all than ipad is best.

Main thing which you will enjoy in ipad is reading.

But note that holding ipad for long time is also a pain.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

this is a version one device and a darned expensive one at that once taxes and the obligatory protective case are taken into consideration. Add in 3G and you’re looking at a serious amount of money for what can best be described as a great looking piece of hardware that’s crippled by less than whole applications. At least from a business perspective.

Will I pack it on my next trip? Sure. Having the ability to read and write plus watch movies on my next 11 hour transatlantic on a screen I can see and which doesn’t overburden my otherwise cramped coach class seat space is a bonus. Will I sacrifice taking the laptop? Not a chance. I’ll be fascinated to see what my colleagues think of this brief assessment.

I wouldn't recommend an ipad if you only want it because you think touchscreen is cool. Stick with the netbook at least until prices go down.

I don't think an iPad will work well for you. A Windows 7 tablet on the other hand may be more fitting for your needs, BUT be sure that you'll be comfortable using a touchscreen for text input, or using a bluetooth keyboard with it. For work uses a laptop makes so much more sense.

I would suggest netbook rather than iPad. You may kill your iPad if you use highend programs. iPad will not act as a laptop.

recent reviews shows that people use tablet pc for entertainment. i also think so. if you have the same purpose then you should bye that.

My outlook on tablet devices are a bit different then what seems to be the majority outlook around here. For any type of heavy lifting applications like Photoshop, you're going to need a laptop, or even better, a desktop. However, for such uses as checking emails, responding to tickets, displaying presentations at meetings, and of course interacting with WebHostingTalk, I find my Toshbia Thrive to be exceptional!

Meaning while I'm on the road I must be able to use outlook for email, run microsoft office, quickbooks, photoshop etc.
    You mention that you don't want to use the device to remote into your desktop? Any particular reason why that is unsuitable to you? With a fast wifi connection you could accomplish what you want with VNC on most of the platforms mentioned in this thread (including the iPad). I use my iPad with 'Screens' to remote desktop my Lion server and it works awesome. I'd take a second look at this option if I were you. Cheers.

Yes, my wife got one from Santa for Xmas and its awesome.
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

I got a 64gig ipad for free. It's a neat gadget.

Had I paid for it, retail is around $700 for the one I have. That's completely nuts in my opinion considering the actual utility of it. The only things I really use it for are web browsing (though safari likes to crash a lot, as does mercury, a cheap browser app I installed from the app store, when using lots of memory for sites with too much javascript, etc), email (works fine as expected), ssh (I did find a good, cheap ssh client which works well and provides a much better on-screen kbd than the default one), the ipod app, colloquy (which supports SSL), and a couple of other semi-useful-but-neat apps. Really, you'd be better off with a $200 - $250 netbook running Ubuntu, to be honest. Much greater flexibility, a real keyboard, and a real operating system.

If the ipad were in the $200 - $250 range, it might be a worthwhile buy. At $700+, there's just no way it's worth it unless you rely on specific ios apps.
    Ⓐ Red Triangle Technology Collective Ⓐ
    Hosting a revolution!
    http://www.redtriangletc.org/

I received an iPad from the wife, but I still prefer Netbooks or Laptops for any program/email use on the go. iPads are handy for Apps and Web Browsing, as noted numerous times above. Netbooks and Laptops will handle programs and emailing a lot better (in my opinion).

if your not a web designer or a coder ,you don't need a ipad only if you like it ,i think a notebook is better then a ipad, also i think samsung galaxy is better then the ipad and cheaper

the new android tablets are sick .. the asus transformer prime is amazing + wait 1 month or so & the tablets with the improved hardware will come out

I got a samsung galaxy tab 10.1, and it's great.

yes you should have that tablet. Thats the coolest one.

Meh... I think ipads are overpriced. should check out the kindle fire, its a bit smaller than the ipad but its pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by jacklord View Post
    iPad will not act as a laptop.
    I disagree.
    A good stand and keyboard makes it on par with a netbook.

Use it as tablet when needed, or add stand/keyboard when needed.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    I disagree.

I have this setup and I don't think it is anything comparable to a netbook.. especially for the typical user. Printing is difficult to setup, Office suites are still finicky, lack of Java, Flash, etc makes web browsing less than par. The browser itself is clunky and crashes when you open numerous tabs. And the lack of decent multitasking makes it difficult to utilize full productivity.

As a quick and basic web browser/email client it is fine. As a netbook replacement or any PC replacement, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    I disagree.

Nah, I disagree. As a fellow tablet user, I must admit that tablets are far from netbooks. Let's try editing some MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint done with various edits (I.e. not just plain text) and see how difficult it is to properly complete it properly and quickly. It's great for playing with apps and browsing the web (to a certain extent) on-the-go, but it's nothing like a netbook.

yes,Depends on the person. Yes, you can take notes on the iPad. but you will possibly benefit from an external keyboard to type fast. (depends on how you can type /adapt to the on screen keyboard)
    I don't use Pages, but I do Documents to Go and it works very well...

iPads are NOT for use of photoshop or large scale creation of any type...

iPads are for consumption, Email, surfing the web, Facebook, etc.. Its a great product for your parents, for traveling, etc. I have one and love it, but i could never do work on it, but thats not what it was made for.

If you really want something small and light like a netbook, get a macbook air, those things are awesome, I drool over my co-workers all the time. or keep your netbook.

The iPad is fantastic for entertainment, email, web browsing on the go. I use it alot for diary entries of meetings etc.
    Ultimately its an expensive toy though, in my opinion!
    A great app for taking notes is Ghostwriter, you'll need a stylus for it. On the go the iPad is great (trains, buses, outdoors) I think it is a brilliant piece of technology and looking forward to iPad 3 in anticipation!

As much as I love my iPad 2 for cPanel to connect to my server to edit my site, I would say wait until the iPad 3 comes out. It should be released in March which is only a month away!

Don't waste your money right now.
    My Site : Chi Chi's Floral [Under Construction - Link Coming Soon!]

Hosted by: Myhosting.com - 10 months and counting!

Although I am a huge fan of Apple products - especially the iPhone-, iPad is just not for me (I like it, but I wouldn't have a use for it). If you really want one, I will have to agree with standingoten... Wait until the iPad 3 gets released
    Creatifox - From May 13th!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast