Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Iron Mountain Hosting (imountain.com) - Six Month Review

Myself and a friend of mine run a World of Warcraft fan site (Arena Junkies). We started out as a small board running phpBB. We have since grown quite substantially and upgraded to a vbulletin system with several custom mySQL heavy applications. We started with the SolarCluster 2 plan because we read some positive things about them here as well as found a coupon for the SolarCluster plans. After a couple of months we outgrew the database on the SolarCluster 2 and upgraded to the SolarCluster 3. The transition was easy and seamless (Just one click in the control panel).

We have once again outgrown our database on the SolarCluster plans and found ourselves in need of an upgrade. Iron Mountain's support team worked with us to tailor a solution for us that would be both affordable and support our current/future needs. We have upgraded to a managed dedicated mySQL box with the web hosting as part of the Luxury Cluster.

Downtime

There have been a couple isolated instances of the sql server going down unexpectedly, but neither lasted more than 30 minutes and the causes were addressed. Each time I sent an email asking what the issue was and they quickly gave me an explanation of what caused the error and assured it should no longer be an issue. They kept true to their word and we have not experienced downtime caused by the same issue again.

Performance

Performance has been top notch. When they say "yes, you can use it down to the last kilobyte" about your monthly bandwidth they mean it. On a few occasions, we had some extremely heavy traffic and they let us know that they could move us to a dedicated box temporarily until the traffic spike ended, but even with 1000+ connected and 32,000 visits that day the shared host performed extremely well and we experienced no downtime.

Customer Service/Support

Customer support since day 1 has been responsive and friendly. Whenever dealing with them we know we are dealing with a professional company and never with outsourced labor. We have found our relationship with them to be very personal, even joking with us about something we had said at sign up.

We work strange hours and have contacted support on a number of occasions at 3 or 4am. They usually reply by email within 10 minutes even at those off hours. We also find meeting with support/sales in chat has been a great way to communicate with them. We have even had support offer to offer to fix database problems when WE were the ones that fouled it up!

As part of our upgrade, there was a slight discrepancy in our account balance beforehand. When brought to their attention, billing bent over backwards to reconcile the situation without any pressure from our end. It is clear to us that their top priority is to make sure their customers are happy.

Overall Satisfaction

We have been very satisfied with the quality of service and support we have received. As I have stated before we have made 3 upgrades in our time with them the most recent of which is a dedicated box, and we're not looking back. I would recommend Iron Mountain to anyone in need of a solid, reliable web host that has terrific customer support.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for writing this detailed review! Seems like they're treating you very,
    very well, that's very refreshing compared to most of these negative host
    reviews I keep reading on this board.

Keep up the good work/play.

All the best,

Cris
    I've been using HostGator for 38 months.. and it's been awesome.
    Get The Maximum HostGator Discount With These HostGator Coupons!
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the feedback, several of my friends were looking to purchase from Iron Mountain.
      0 Not allowed!

Good review. Nice to see positive reviews from time to time.

Many people fail to realize that every host will have some downtime sooner or later, it's how they handle it that matters the most. In this case, you've been taken care of well by your host
      0 Not allowed!

Glad to see you are happy with iMountain, always good to see a rather thorough and concise review.
      0 Not allowed!

Nice review, good to read.
      0 Not allowed!

We posted the review for the community as a thanks for our post ~6 months ago when we were originally looked for a provider (see my first post). We wanted to post a follow up as the opinions here greatly influenced our decision on who to host with.

Also, I was unaware that they had linked to us in their signature. Maybe they want to show off a new setup they have running now that they don't normally offer? Our goal wasn't to do a link exchange to get advertising for our fan site from a completely untargetted set of forums like webhostingtalk.com.
      0 Not allowed!

imountain,

I'd like to get some pictures of your solar panels, could you please link me to a location I can retrieve them?
      0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    The blog seems to say some things about them solar panels: http://imountain.com/web/blog?option...apper&Itemid=3
    Maybe it's just me, but other than 'installation' back in September, I don't see anything. I'd appreciate some pictures!
      0 Not allowed!

Hi David

Didn't you write that blog article that FusedNetwork will never be green like those "hippy eating bagel eaters"?

Our philosophies differ so I do not think we share anything in common, much less any pictures.

However, as this is a popular request today, I'll be climbing our roof today or tomorrow and taking some pictures for all the non "hippy eating bagel eaters" out there

This is our client's review so I suggest you join our conversation here:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=665480
    :: iMountain.com Solar Powered Hosting - Same location for 20 years
    :: Clustered, HSphere, Webhosting, VPS, Dedicated and Luxury clusters
    :: Specializing in Database clustering and optimization for vBulletin, Joomla and Wordpress sites.
      0 Not allowed!

Excellent, I'll look forward to the pictures of your solar panels being posted tomorrow.
    (And no, our philosophies don't differ. Seems you failed to read the post I had made. I don't like carbon credits because they're a cop-out, but I'd love to see your solar panels!)
    Last edited by David; 01-23-2008 at 01:40 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Where's the love?

imountain - I too would love to see some pics of what you have happening there at your place, not because I don't believe you, but simply because of interest.

The idea intrigues me and the green movement itself is a growing trend trend regardless if you agree with it or not.

The industry should try and get on board simply because the younger generation is all about this practiced idea and will ultimately be the new customers of tomorrow.

(David posted before me - so this doesn't really apply to him) LOVE YOU DAVID!

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    imountain,

I'd like to get some pictures of your solar panels, could you please link me to a location I can retrieve them?
    He can't link to them
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse View Post
    He can't link to them
    He can if they're on flickr.
      0 Not allowed!

I also would like to see the pics!
    I find it an interesting move for any web host/DC!
    Charles
      0 Not allowed!

Sounds like another hosting company that will be on my good list .
    Rageki Web Hosting Solutions - Canada & United States Web Hosting
    DirectAdmin & cPanel Control Panels
    99% Uptime!
    30 Day Money Back Guaranteed!
      0 Not allowed!

I've heard heaps of good comments about them, and they seem like a nice bunch.

BTW, i love the front page pic with the tree. Looks good!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Neosmith View Post
    I also would like to see the pics!
    I find it an interesting move for any web host/DC!
    I'm looking forward to it
      0 Not allowed!

An address where they are located would be nice, we could goog earth it then. Unfortunately it seems like this and a couple other questions are being ignored, hopefully I am wrong.
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    (And no, our philosophies don't differ. Seems you failed to read the post I had made. I don't like carbon credits because they're a cop-out, but I'd love to see your solar panels!)
    I disagree David, please read the blog you wrote in your Fused Network company blog. Your first paragraph calls out everybody who even mentions the word green:

Quote Originally Posted by Fused Network Company Blog
    Recently, a great deal of providers have began touting their horns about being ‘green’, ‘carbon neutral’, ’solar powered’, ‘hippy eating bagel eaters’ & a number of other silly statements.
    I cannot agree that these are silly statements. It is one thing to be neutral towards comapanies that make a green initiative but to dismiss them as being silly? Companies such as ours, AISO.NET, Greenest Host, Dreamhost all have spent time and money to at least TRY to make a difference.

Neutrality is fine but putting down companies that are at least trying to make this a greener earth?

Your only intention is to bash companies who try to make a difference in the environment regardless of whether it is for profit or true concern.

We will not parley or converse with you or Fused Network further as you only seek to further discredit anything green.
    :: Specializing in Database clustering and optimization for vBulletin, Joomla and Wordpress sites.
      0 Not allowed!

imountain,

Got those pictures available?
    In regards to my attempt to "discredit" the green movement, I certainly made no attempt to do so. I can assure you my carbon footprint is a mere fraction of your own, I take the environment into account with everything I do: Afterall, I have to live here -- as the saying goes even dogs know not to take a dump where they sleep.

My blog post was in regards to carbon credits & companies marketing themselves as "green" because they've purchased a few carbon credits. The majority of organizations offering carbon credits are no more than a sham -- but that's for another topic.

Carbon credits are a cop-out, "hey, let's pay someone else to take care of the problem because we're too lazy to make an effort & really reduce the effects we're having on the planet! I'd hate to stop having to drive my hummer 60 miles each way to work."

Ready with those pictures yet?
    Last edited by David; 01-24-2008 at 01:58 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse View Post
    He can't link to them
    In addition to this, we have already received a warning from the mods here about posting links.

Good bye David.
      0 Not allowed!

If anyone is interested, their location:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...&t=h&z=17&om=0

The 'white U' shaped building to the southeast of that marker is the building. I'm willing to pay for some pictures of their solar panels supposedly installed on the roof -- within reason, the more hi-def / higher resolution the better.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by imountain View Post
    In addition to this, we have already received a warning from the mods here about posting links.

Good bye David.
    Of course you can post the pics of your solar panel on your own company blog!!
    The mods here have no say in what you post on your own blog but I have yet to see
    yall post them.

If you do have pics of your "solar panels" then why haven't yall posted them on your blog?
    hmmmmm I begin to wonder if yall actually do have solar panels. I am not saying that yall
    don't but the lack of posting pics on your own company site seems weird.

P.S. I am not trying to knock yall for trying to go green. If you say you have solar panels and you said
    that you would take pics for people to see and you have yet to produce them.

If you have solar panels fine if you don't say you don't!! Don't get people thinking that you do if you don't.
    Last edited by Neosmith; 01-24-2008 at 02:51 PM.
    Charles
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast