Thread: Windows Azure

Windows Azure

Hi Guys,
    Anyone of you had a chance to try windows azure platform?
    If Yes, what do you think of it?
    Thanks
    Manuel

Hello,
    It sounds interesting, I think that soon there will be some reviews.
    Regards

__________________Windows Hosting ASP.NET | Top ASP.NET Hosts

Planning to test this

It is on my todo list to test Azure.
    I am partucularly interested in any glitches and wrinkles when Azure is accessed from a shared hosting environment and would be very interested in the preliminary experiences from any of the Windows hosting suppliers that read this....

Is it a good test?

Azure in the Cloud is just a Microsoft cloud right now.
    Announced and running to some degree at the PDC, ther has been enough time for Windows hosters that are actually serious about Windows hosting to have investigated this technology and render an opinion.
    Although non-Microsoft hosting is not yet an option for Azure, there seem to be obvious cases where an ASP.NET application running on a shared Windows host will want to access Azure. This should work but are there any issues based on directly testing this?
    Hosters that have already tried this out would seem to be prime candidates for consideration as savvy Windows hosters?
    Anyone here looked into this?
    Is this a good test of hosters "walking the walk" of Windows tech?

Actually i had a chance to try it out, but for now you can use only apps built on the .NET framework, but i heard there's a plan to support unmanaged code as well in the first half of 2009.
    But at this point would be interesting if any hoster tried it and can offer a review.

I have always wanted to find a Windows hoster that knew more about Windows and .NET than I did. Just to have that warm fuzzy feeling I guess and more importantly to avoid all the arguments over very obvious and simple things that hosting techs can't seem to get past. But no luck.
    I fear that the Windows hosters or at least the ones that I have set a budget for, don't want to stray very far from their beloved control panel software...
    But I can always hope. Azure anyone?

I hear you.
    The typical (not always true of course) windows hosting client is often someone with a good knowledge and understanding of the hosting and the windows environment, and that's why they expect hosters/support guys to be more skilled on the win side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fox80129

I hear you.
    The typical (not always true of course) windows hosting client is often someone with a good knowledge and understanding of the hosting and the windows environment, and that's why they expect hosters/support guys to be more skilled on the win side.

Agreed. It definitely helps for a provider to have Windows-only technicians who can assist Windows server clients.
    -mike

__________________Limestone Networks - Dedicated Server Hosting
    Premium Network - 24/7/365 Support - Dual Intel Xeon Servers Now Available
    Dallas Datacenter - Fully Routed Backend Networkhttp://www.limestonenetworks.com 1-877-586-0555

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike - Limestone

Agreed. It definitely helps for a provider to have Windows-only technicians who can assist Windows server clients.
    -mike

Yeah...but as we all know most of the hosting companies around prefer to take on board people that do both linux and windows support. This is absolutelly valid on a business perspective considering that windows hosting has been always seen as a marginal niche, and often it's not worth to pay dedicated SysAdmins when you just have few windows servers. But at the same time this is the reason why it's hard to find a provider that is offering a good support on the win products.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BKerry

I think it depends on the company, there are a few companies that concentrate only on Windows (DiscountASP, ReliableSite, etc).

Of course i was not talking about companies that are doing only Win hosting
    But i guess we're going a little OT now

Quote:

Originally Posted by fox80129

Yeah...but as we all know most of the hosting companies around prefer to take on board people that do both linux and windows support. This is absolutelly valid on a business perspective considering that windows hosting has been always seen as a marginal niche, and often it's not worth to pay dedicated SysAdmins when you just have few windows servers. But at the same time this is the reason why it's hard to find a provider that is offering a good support on the win products.

I think it's partly a chicken and egg issue. You gain more Windows clients when you have better Windows support (word of mouth), but you have better Windows support when you have more Windows clients.
    -mike

__________________Limestone Networks - Dedicated Server Hosting
    Premium Network - 24/7/365 Support - Dual Intel Xeon Servers Now Available
    Dallas Datacenter - Fully Routed Backend Networkhttp://www.limestonenetworks.com 1-877-586-0555