Thread: 128 GB Server

128 GB Server

Hi,

I have heard from alot of linix server providers that, Minecraft doesn't take much CPU as it mostly needs memory to run without any lag.

My question is do you think the following server can easily support 100 GB of minecraft servers? Well it's E5 after all and with 12 threads. I really think its a very good processor. And I am going to leave around 30 GB FREE ram for the server to run smoothly. Would it cause lag?

Intel Xeon E5-1650v2 - 6/12t - 128 GB DDR3 ECC
    Last edited by Shona2; 02-18-2014 at 02:32 AM.

Minecraft is heavy on both CPU and RAM, but Minecraft is a single threaded application, so you need the fastest per-core speed as it can't take advantage of more than 1 core unless you're running multiple instances.

With the Intel Xeon E5 1650 V2 I would recommend no more than 64 GB of RAM as I believe that you will run out of CPU power before you run out of RAM.

If you do use up all the RAM, you can always upgrade the RAM.
    ReliableSite.Net LLC - Offering Enterprise Grade Dedicated Servers Since 2006 [New York City metro / Miami, FL / Los Angeles, CA]
    Customers are our #1 priority - Read Our Reviews
    Need epic pricing on 1G and 10G unmetered? We have amazing deals and a 10 minute setup time! Click here to view incredible deals.

Are you trying to reseller MC or are you trying to have multiple worlds on a single server?

Also another important factor that you didn't mention is the drives. I would recommend using SSDs in RAID 10 to get the best performance.

Actually Minecraft has very limited multithreading.. Most I have really seen it use was 2 cores.

But John is right, get the highest clocked processor you can. The E5-1650v2 would be a good choice paired up with a few SSD drives and maybe a regular hard drive to make backups to.

SSD drives help a lot with map load times and chunk loading times when people are flying around or running fast across the map.

I also agree with John on the 64GB of memory because your going to tax processor very heavily so you may not be able to sell more than 64GB worth of MC servers before the server is over provisioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
    Go with a high clock E3.
    The problem with the E3 is they're limited to 32GB RAM. I think OP wants more RAM.

The E3-1270v2/3 would be a good choice also, but yes limited on the amount of memory it can handle.

As others have said Minecraft does require a decently high speed CPU. But that setup should go fine, I'd probably go with 64GB RAM rather than 128GB though.
    Clouveo - SSD/NVMe Cloud VPS & Web Hosting
    Cloud VPS Servers | DDoS Protected | Snapshots | Auto Backups | One Click Apps | Custom ISOs
    clouveo.com | Locations: [UK] London, [NL] Amsterdam, [US] Los Angeles

You're best off getting a E3 sure it maxes out at 32gb however at least you will not be over loading the CPU on that system.
    ⚡️ PUREVOLTAGE.COM ⚡️Custom Dedicated Servers, Colocation, VPS Contact us: sales@purevoltage.com Skype: Mobile.Jake
    AMD EPYC 7443P RYZEN 7950X3D ⚡️ NVME 10G - 100Gbps We do it all!

New York City ★ Seattle ★ Los Angeles ★ Chicago ★ Dallas

Yeah, it will have software RAID SSD disk.

Quote Originally Posted by RSNET-John View Post
    With the Intel Xeon E5 1650 V2 I would recommend no more than 64 GB of RAM as I believe that you will run out of CPU power before you run out of RAM.

If you do use up all the RAM, you can always upgrade the RAM.
    But, my provider doesn't allow custom configuration so, if I purchase Intel Xeon E5-1650v2 with 6c/12t - 3.5 GHz+/3.9 GHz+
    I won't be able to make changes in the RAM configuration.

If its gonna run out of CPU before running out of RAM... that, 128GB server itself seems a waste to me.
    Who would like to only use 64GB ram out of 128GB. I thought I would atleast use the ram in 64GB to 100GB range but, than I don't want the servers to lag or the CPU to over load.

Thanks, for the responses.
    Last edited by Shona2; 02-18-2014 at 01:43 PM.

Actually, how about AMD 2x Opteron 4386 - 16c/16t - 3.1 GHz+/3.8 GHz+- 128GB RAM - SSD DISK instead of E5-1650

Do you still recommend only 64GB ram out of 128GB ?

Opteron 4386
    More cores improve multi-threading performance,
    Clocked higher,
    Process multiple applications or heavily multi-threaded programs.
    Operating frequency of the Opteron 4386 is higher than the frequency of the Xeon E5-2420.

Quote Originally Posted by Shona2 View Post
    Actually, how about AMD 2x Opteron 4386 - 16c/16t - 3.1 GHz+/3.8 GHz+- 128GB RAM - SSD DISK instead of E5-1650

Do you still recommend only 64GB ram out of 128GB ?

Opteron 4386
    More cores improve multi-threading performance,
    Clocked higher,
    Process multiple applications or heavily multi-threaded programs.
    Operating frequency of the Opteron 4386 is higher than the frequency of the Xeon E5-2420.
    AMD Processors have horrible per-core performance. If you plan on doing Minecraft, stick to the newest Intel processors.
    ReliableSite.Net LLC - Offering Enterprise Grade Dedicated Servers Since 2006 [New York City metro / Miami, FL / Los Angeles, CA]
    Customers are our #1 priority - Read Our Reviews
    Need epic pricing on 1G and 10G unmetered? We have amazing deals and a 10 minute setup time! Click here to view incredible deals.

I agree with the above, stick with the Intel E3s or E5s for running Minecraft, you'll find much better performance out of them.

We currently run E3s on 32GB RAM for our Minecraft Nodes, but we are actually planning to start running 64GBs on the E5-1650 - We've used the processor before at 32GB RAM and it performed very well.
    Cloud VPS Servers | DDoS Protected | Snapshots | Auto Backups | One Click Apps | Custom ISOs

Okay, I understand thanks. That's why I have never used AMD.

Do you still suggest MAX Ram usage of 64GB out of 128GB for 2 X Intel Xeon E5-2650v2 - 16/32t - 128GB RAM
    Last edited by Shona2; 02-18-2014 at 02:36 PM.

The E5-2650v2 doesn't have a high speed per core, you're better off going with something at least 3.2GHz preferably more, for Minecraft.

We did some beta testing on different processors a while back and the E3-1230 performed much better because of it's higher speed per core.

I think you'd end up regretting it if you went with a processor less than 3.2GHz in speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Criot View Post
    The E5-2650v2 doesn't have a high speed per core, you're better off going with something at least 3.2GHz preferably more, for Minecraft.

We did some beta testing on different processors a while back and the E3-1230 performed much better because of it's higher speed per core.

I think you'd end up regretting it if you went with a processor less than 3.2GHz in speed.
    After reading all of these suggestions I have decided to only go with Intel Xeon - E5-1620v2 - 3,7 GHz+/3,9 GHz - 64GB RAM or else simply with Intel E3-1230 32GB RAM

Thanks alot

A lot of minecraft server resellers like to go with the Xeon E3 based machines for the reason a lot of people here are mentioning. You are going to have wasted resources if you go with a monster machine.

Try going with several single CPU machines instead of a single multi-CPU machine with tons of RAM. Get a feel for your resource usage so you're not throwing away money.
    GorillaServers Inc. Powerful Bare Metal Servers
    Instant and Custom Deploy 1Gbps/10Gbps Servers in Los Angeles & Ogden Utah
    Follow us @GorillaServers | GSI on Facebook