Free System Management!

I'm looking to delve into the web hosting scene with a bang, but what other better way to do it than to learn first hand?

I am offering free system administration in hopes of learning a bunch of useful stuff that I don't already know. The way I'd like this to work is you send me a job or two per day that I can do remotely and I'll try my very best to complete the job. That way you get free system administration and I get good learning experience.

These are the things I've done Linux related:
    Successfully setup more than a couple VPN servers (OpenVPN & PPTP)
    Built more than a couple nginx reverse proxys from the source with embedded perl modules for additional HTTP security
    Setup a web based bandwidth monitoring solution
    Setup IRCds
    Installed and configured CSF firewall
    + much more!

If this concept interests you please PM me with your contact information preferably AIM or Skype.

Thanks!

I encourage your willingness to learn, but no one is going to do this. There's too much risk and what happens if you make a mistake and take down a server?

I would suggest that you get a small vps and start playing around and learning along the way.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.™
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by hD-Scott View Post
    I encourage your willingness to learn, but no one is going to do this. There's too much risk and what happens if you make a mistake and take down a server?

I would suggest that you get a small vps and start playing around and learning along the way.
    I've had a lot of servers but I can never seem to find a practical project, most of what I've done is stuff I've actually needed.

Any advice or resources for practical stuff to keep me engaged?

If your server normally runs apache, try turning it into a nginx box or to configure nginx as a reverse proxy for apache to serve static pages fast and offload dynamic/htaccess files to apache.

Try configuring php in different ways with different modules as that's a popular request from hosts to providers.

Work on your hardening and migration skills. Again, those are high-demand services. Just a few ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by hD-Scott View Post
    If your server normally runs apache, try turning it into a nginx box or to configure nginx as a reverse proxy for apache to serve static pages fast and offload dynamic/htaccess files to apache.

Try configuring php in different ways with different modules as that's a popular request from hosts to providers.

Work on your hardening and migration skills. Again, those are high-demand services. Just a few ideas.
    Thank You!

Although I've always preferred LiteSpeed over Apache I'm sure many people still use Apache and will work on that.

I've seen a lot of people in the Hosting & Security section still having issues with SSH dictionary attacks, wouldn't it be good practice to run key authentication and run SSH on a uncommon port?

Also, one doesn't just "get" Linux, got any suggested resources for better understanding Linux? I'm sure Google will yield tons of PDFs but I'm more of a visual learner.

Quote Originally Posted by 0x01-Security View Post
    I've had a lot of servers but I can never seem to find a practical project, most of what I've done is stuff I've actually needed.

Any advice or resources for practical stuff to keep me engaged?
    Why not offer super cheap web hosting with a very demanding clients? I am sure you get into so many demanding issues with a lot sort of complains.

Or a free hosting with a premium support?
    Last edited by real_skinner; 05-07-2013 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by real_skinner View Post
    Why not offer super cheap web hosting with a very demanding clients? I am sure you get into so many demanding issues with a lot sort of complains.

Or a free hosting with a premium support?
    I'm not very good at SEO nor do I even fully understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by 0x01-Security View Post
    Thank You!

Although I've always preferred LiteSpeed over Apache I'm sure many people still use Apache and will work on that.

I've seen a lot of people in the Hosting & Security section still having issues with SSH dictionary attacks, wouldn't it be good practice to run key authentication and run SSH on a uncommon port?

Also, one doesn't just "get" Linux, got any suggested resources for better understanding Linux? I'm sure Google will yield tons of PDFs but I'm more of a visual learner.
    Yes, key authentication, uncommon port and disable root. Those are standard.

Ha, interesting idea, doubt anyone will go for it though... One way to get your hands dirty is to get a low-level job and learn as you go.