Looking for an webhost

Hello,

I'm looking for an cheap webhost. I don't want to pay more than $8 / month, and low or none setup-fee. I don't demand very high uptime (it is an personal site that I want to be host). Of course, i don't want my site to be inaccessible for an week or something like that, but about 2-3 hours downtime in week doesn't matter. Here is my demands:

At least 500 MB storage.
    At least 5 GB bandwidth.
    Fairly good speed.
    At least 3 MySQL 5 (...or above) databases.
    PHP5 or above installed.
    Some kind of SSL-certify installed.
    Competent and friendly support.
    Not swedish, danish or norwegian.

...and yes, I now that i got what i pay for. But as an student I don't have more money.

Any proposal?

(Sorry for my bad english, I'am from Sweden).

The budget you have should be sufficient for your requirements. As for the SSL certificate, you'll need to buy this and get a dedicated IP from your web host (which could cost you an extra $1 - $2 per month).

The SSL certificate will run you $14/yr from www.servertastic.com.

Take a look at ASmallOrange - it has what you want except the space (400 instead
    of 500MB) for only 5 bucks and 10GB bandwidth. Plus, I've read some nice reviews
    here on this forum and on their own forum.
    I've been using HostGator for 38 months.. and it's been awesome.
    Get The Maximum HostGator Discount With These HostGator Coupons!

2-3 hours downtime in a week doesn't matter? Webhosts would worship you
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanworld View Post
    2-3 hours downtime in a week doesn't matter? Webhosts would worship you
    I agree with you

2-3 hours of downtime a week is a lot in fact for most hosts 2-3 hours of down time in a month is a lot even. With that I don't think you'll have any trouble finding a host. Feel free to post some that you are considering that are not suggested from this topic so people can give you opinions.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and Cloud Hosting
    PHP 5.2.x - PHP 8.1.X Support!

Host Gator is my fav

Quote Originally Posted by [SWE] View Post
    Hello,

I'm looking for an cheap webhost. I don't want to pay more than $8 / month, and low or none setup-fee. I don't demand very high uptime (it is an personal site that I want to be host). Of course, i don't want my site to be inaccessible for an week or something like that, but about 2-3 hours downtime in week doesn't matter. Here is my demands:

At least 500 MB storage.
    At least 5 GB bandwidth.
    Fairly good speed.
    PHP5 or above installed.

...and yes, I now that i got what i pay for. But as an student I don't have more money.

Any proposal?

Why do you need an SSL certificate for a personal site?

Just curious because many hosts will charge you not only for the SSL cert (which is proper) but also for the dedicated IP address which an SSL cert required (which isn't proper).

Quote Originally Posted by [SWE] View Post
    Hello,

At least 500 MB storage.
    At least 5 GB bandwidth.
    Fairly good speed.
    PHP5 or above installed.

Any proposal?

Bonjour [SWE],

Your english is very good . Wondering if you want a control panel to manage easier your hosting account ? If so, which one do you prefer.

Regards,

Question

Agreed that 2 or 3 hours downtime in a year would be considered totally unacceptable by most people who needed a security certificate.
    If it's just a personal site with no e-commerce or such it's hard to imagine the need. Everything you ask is well within some plan with almost any host but the certificate will be extra depending on the "level" of certificate you buy and most of us do have an extra charge for a dedicated IP which the certificate requires.

Your requirements seem to make perfect sense for a "personal site" from lots of hosts (all with better uptime) but the cost of the certificate would be what would "make it or break it" on your budget.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

Agreed that 2 or 3 hours downtime in a year would be considered totally unacceptable by most people who needed a security certificate.
    3 hours of downtime in a year would be ~0.034% downtime, or 99.966% uptime. Even for a store, it's not bad. But maybe you meant to type "week" as in the OP.

Just curious because many hosts will charge you not only for the SSL cert (which is proper) but also for the dedicated IP address which an SSL cert required (which isn't proper).
    I see no reason why it wouldn't be proper to charge for the IP. Separate service, separate charge.

I guess why I don't think it's proper to charge for IPs is because I've never been charged for them. Even now as a budget host I don't charge for them because I don't pay for them. I do have to justify each one, though. I've never looked into it farther than that but it seems to me that since multiple providers don't charge me for them then they're not paying for them. Ergo nobody has to pay for them so hosts that charge for them are doing so at 100 percent profit. Or that's my logic anyhow.

IPs do have a cost, though certainly, some providers may choose to just absorb it.

Even if they would be completely free, setting them up, managing them, requires some effort. A fee is thus justified.

Not that fees and markups actually have to be justified.

I wonder how much they cost? I know by the time it gets down to our level we see $2/month or so, but how much does the top of the pyramid pay I wonder?

It can't be significant because I've had about 5 hosts in the last 5 years and I've never paid for an IP address.

3 hours of downtime a week is 12 hours of month,half a day!
    It's too time!
    If you want SSL(personal site and you want SSL?)you might take a look at webhosts which offers free including dedicated ip.
    Otherwise you have to pay 1-2$/month or maybe less/more

Regards,
    Quality Cpanel Web Hosting - sales@customers-services.com
    Ecommerce Hosting,Blog Hosting,FFMpeg Hosting,Master Resellers,WHM Resellers,VPS & Dedicated Servers(Unmetered-Metered)
    Secure Payments Through Paypal & 2CO