Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    France

--2009-12-23 08:45:15-- http://speed.uberbandwidth.com/testfile.exe
    Resolving speed.uberbandwidth.com... 208.91.130.59
    Connecting to speed.uberbandwidth.com|208.91.130.59|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 264571904 (252M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `testfile.exe'

100%[======================================>] 264,571,904 29.3M/s in 10s

2009-12-23 08:45:26 (25.1 MB/s) - `testfile.exe' saved [264571904/264571904]

Los Angeles

--2009-12-22 22:52:27-- http://speed.uberbandwidth.com/testfile.exe
    Saving to: `testfile.exe'

100%[======================================>] 264,571,904 4.11M/s in 63s

2009-12-22 22:53:30 (4.00 MB/s) - `testfile.exe' saved [264571904/264571904]

[root@w00 ~]# wget http://speed.uberbandwidth.com/testfile.exe -O /dev/null
    --2009-12-23 02:26:25-- http://speed.uberbandwidth.com/testfile.exe
    Saving to: `/dev/null'

100%[============================================================================================>] 264,571,904 49.6M/s in 6.1s

2009-12-23 02:26:31 (41.6 MB/s) - `/dev/null' saved [264571904/264571904]

I get around 20Mbps on a 50Mbps line in Bulgaria and around 50Mbps on a 100/100 in UK.
    Very nice speeds considering the distance.

I have ordered one as well, moving from 1U to Full cabinet at Uberbandwidth.
    As it is capped at 1000mbit, we can probably use 500-600 mbit so the effective price is $1.8 to $1.5/mbit.

I will complete 1 month with them soon and the experience has been awesome.

Ishan
    LeapSwitch Networks Pvt. Ltd. - Managed VPS / Dedicated Servers India
    CloudJiffy PaaS - Wordpress Cluster Hosting
    █ Shared, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    AS132335 - India - USA - Germany - Spain - Portugal - Ukraine

Why cant you use the full 1000mbit? There is no reason that i can think of as to why you shouldnt be getting your full commit unless you dont have the traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Testtube302 View Post
    Why cant you use the full 1000mbit? There is no reason that i can think of as to why you shouldnt be getting your full commit unless you dont have the traffic.
    You may be able to burst to 1000mbit, but you will not be able to fully utilize the bandwidth 24/7.
    linveo.com | Shared Hosting | AMD and Intel KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers
    Direct Admin | VirtFusion | TenantOS | 24/7/365 Support

Why not? I can

Quote Originally Posted by Testtube302 View Post
    Why not? I can
    If you mean you have the traffic to sustain that amount, then yes it probably is possible. But if you try to saturate the port 24/7 it is not going to work. You will begin to experience dropped packets and high latency.

Quote Originally Posted by atbnet View Post
    You may be able to burst to 1000mbit, but you will not be able to fully utilize the bandwidth 24/7.
    Why wouldn't you be able to? This is a dedicated link, dedicated bandwidth, meaning it's yours to the fullest.

Of course, it would take a few servers to fully saturate this, but why couldn't you use it?
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

If you mean you have the traffic to sustain that amount, then yes it probably is possible. But if you try to saturate the port 24/7 it is not going to work. You will begin to experience dropped packets and high latency.
    If you go up to 999.9 Mbps, but don't go over 1Gbps, you should be fine. I understand what you're saying. I think you're saying that if you fully tap out this line, if you even stray over the 1Gbps, you'll start having issues.

Quote Originally Posted by UH-Bobby View Post
    Why wouldn't you be able to? This is a dedicated link, dedicated bandwidth, meaning it's yours to the fullest.

Of course, it would take a few servers to fully saturate this, but why couldn't you use it?
    See my post above.

Quote Originally Posted by UH-Bobby View Post
    If you go up to 999.9 Mbps, but don't go over 1Gbps, you should be fine. I understand what you're saying. I think you're saying that if you fully tap out this line, if you even stray over the 1Gbps, you'll start having issues.
    You won't be able to stray over, that's the whole point. With all of the technical limitations you will never see full 100% utilization. You would need a 10 gig port to take full advantage of the price.

You won't be able to stray over, that's the whole point. With all of the technical limitations you will never see full 100% utilization. You would need a 10 gig port to take full advantage of the price.
    The beauty of overselling and capped ports

If you fully intend on pushing 1gbit on a 1gbit capped port, lets say, sake of argument, you could do that. What happens when your servers try to push 1.1 gbit? Things will slow down a bit, you'll lose a few packets, hopefully you'll only see some problems with per-stream performance and people will think everything is fine. Try to push 1.2gbit? 1.3? Well, obviously in all these scenarios you can't push more than 1gbit, and once you start trying to do more than that, your network quality degrades rather quickly. And that's assuming you can even do the 1gbit in the first place without issues, which is far from a given.

Which is why people here are saying they intend to use about 600 megbit on the line, as it is the highest sustained usage that still allows for some bursts higher without the network quality going straight to hell.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Realtime streaming will suffer once you hit 85%. There will not be enough port buffers left to handle micro bursts required to keep your clients from rebuffering, especially distant ones. Been there, done that. Seen clients try it as well.

If all you're doing is raw downloads or even progressive downloads, hitting full utilization may or may not be an issue as long as you're not serving up websites as well.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

We do Raw file serving and push out our full capacity i guess the difference is we dont care how latency striken the connection is based on usage. As long as its still serving out bytes of data and delivering content within a defined time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    If you fully intend on pushing 1gbit on a 1gbit capped port, lets say, sake of argument, you could do that. What happens when your servers try to push 1.1 gbit? Things will slow down a bit, you'll lose a few packets, hopefully you'll only see some problems with per-stream performance and people will think everything is fine. Try to push 1.2gbit? 1.3? Well, obviously in all these scenarios you can't push more than 1gbit, and once you start trying to do more than that, your network quality degrades rather quickly. And that's assuming you can even do the 1gbit in the first place without issues, which is far from a given.

Which is why people here are saying they intend to use about 600 megbit on the line, as it is the highest sustained usage that still allows for some bursts higher without the network quality going straight to hell.
    Personally, if I ordered this package, I would never intend on pushing it to the max. I always like having room.

Same goes for servers too, any reputable provider wouldn't fill a server to the maximum. They'd allow some room for bursting.

I would treat the bandwidth link the same way I would a server.

What are you guys doing that you stream 600mbps or 900mbps ++? I can see having your peak periods and pushing 600mbps, but are you really streaming 600mbps all day long?

I think uber makes their money on the fact that you cant really stream 600-1000mbps all day long. few business models have that type of a load. the deal is amazing but i dont think they like the customer that actually takes 900mbps more than a few hours a day -- surely they are losing money on that business. they want to sign up somebody like me that uses 100mbps and i think "wow i can grow into this" and i pay for something i will not use for a long time

Quote Originally Posted by shunter1 View Post
    What are you guys doing that you stream 600mbps or 900mbps ++? I can see having your peak periods and pushing 600mbps, but are you really streaming 600mbps all day long?

I think uber makes their money on the fact that you cant really stream 600-1000mbps all day long. few business models have that type of a load. the deal is amazing but i dont think they like the customer that actually takes 900mbps more than a few hours a day -- surely they are losing money on that business. they want to sign up somebody like me that uses 100mbps and i think "wow i can grow into this" and i pay for something i will not use for a long time
    Whether or not they don't intend the service to be used like that, thats exactly what they are selling. Rate capped, dedicated, unmetered bandwidth. They, like any other provider oversells bandwidth at a certain point. They more than likely use customers that under utilize their lines to offset the costs of the users that will run the pipe wide open 24/7.

As others have said, realistically no one will use close to 1gbps on a 1gbit port without serious issues. This brings their actual revenue per mbit much closer to market figures.
    ~

44u + 20Amps

+3hrs of admin work setup
    +network+security

for $899.
    you can't talk yourself out of that.
    that being said whether you use 600 or 10Mbps upgrading is a click of a button.

uberbandwidth is not my main provider. but $899 lol.
    i do 40Mbps down on the speedtest (fios).

Signed the deal, move-in date is late January due to a few problems on my end with hardware.

I sleep better knowing my providers are making money. Will be most interesting to see how this plays out for Uber through 2010.
    ColoCrossing - Dedicated to Uptime
    Jon Biloh | jbiloh@colocrossing.com | 1.800.518.9716 | Skype: jbiloh
    DDOS Protected Colo & Dedicated Servers in Buffalo, Chicago, Dallas and Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by JonBiloh View Post
    I sleep better knowing my providers are making money. Will be most interesting to see how this plays out for Uber through 2010.
    If that is so then you can go straight to Netriplex and pay for a GiGe for $7000/m then I am sure they will be making "money" on that.

http://www.netriplex.com/solutions/s...olocation.aspx

Netriplex and Uber are the same company or "sub" company.

Other than that you can stick to Uber =)

Everyone is always so negative about these specials and the "overselling". Which networks have gone down the drain from these specials and overselling?

"240 Gigabit backbone with capacity for 1 Terabit" - If the hardware and network is already paid for then using any more bandwidth at any price is all extra revenue for the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Bl2YAN View Post
    Everyone is always so negative about these specials and the "overselling". Which networks have gone down the drain from these specials and overselling?
    Alphared anyone? Sorry but you asked...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast