Thread: HTML Help

HTML Help

Hey guys

I created a site, www.chefscloset.com and made it for mainly 1024x768 resolution or higher. I'm starting to notice a lot of people with 800x600 using the site and it doesn't look well at such a low resolution. I could go through and recode a lot of the site to make it friendly for any resolution but I don't have that much time, anyone know of a simple way to have it resize automatically? Problem I see is the main banner graphic is 520pixels wide as it is, I suppose I could have it resize using %s, but I'm thinking there has to be something easier. Anyone have any advice?

You could use a script to detect the user's screen resolution and load a seperate set of HTML depending on the resolution. Or you could make all of your images 800x600 friendly and design your tables using percent widths.

Hello,

I always make my website to 800 x 600 since there are many visitors still using 800 x 600 resolution monitor.

Well... if I were you, I'd recode my site. That said, it will probably be a long task. This is what I call "experience". I don't think about any "resizing" tool...

I always make my website to 800 x 600 since there are many visitors still using 800 x 600 resolution monitor.
    I, on the other hand, prefer to design in a 1024x768 environment which I believe more visitors use. To make it 800x600 friendly, I basically just keep my content width under 800px, set the margins at auto, and roll the dice. Sure everything gets bigger at 800x600 land but as long as everything is in place and the dreaded bottom scrollbar doesn't activate, I'm happy.

By the way, I tried viewing this site in opera but . . .

Quote Originally Posted by AnyDemo
    Hello,

Yes, One way its Good, But now-a-days.. Most of the Users were using 17" Monitors which is usually supports 1024 X 768 display or above.
    | Robert Mitchell | Dynu.Com - Best for you !
    Dedicated Server Hosting Solutions
    Email: robert.mitchell@dynu.com
    Web: www.dynu.com

As to the resize question, a quickie fix would be to add zoom into the body tag in your css file:

body {
    zoom:99%;
    }

Play around with the percentages. It's just to get your current content width to under 800 px. This'll only work with IE, probably won't validate, will make your default 1024x768 page look smaller (and why oh why did I ever suggest it?) and like I said, it's just a temporary solution.

If you want to make your site look good in both resolutions then you need js to detect the user's resolution and have it load different sets of html as Reflective earlier suggested. Either that or alert the user to change his resolution.

http://www.zimmertech.com/tutorials/...r-tutorial.php