Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
    Hitachi SATA drives have been very reliable for us. We've had better luck with Hitachi than with Seagate recently in terms of failure rates. The 7200.11 and 7200.12 Seagate models have not had a great track record for us so far.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Ashburn, VA, Los Angeles, CA, Chicago, IL, and Manchester, UK
    Since 2003 - 20+ Years! Dedicated Servers, Co-location, DDoS Filtering, Data Backup & More!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by qps View Post
    Hitachi SATA drives have been very reliable for us. We've had better luck with Hitachi than with Seagate recently in terms of failure rates. The 7200.11 and 7200.12 Seagate models have not had a great track record for us so far.
    Desktop drives from seagate in the servers are really bad. I can agree on it too, while enterprise and SAS2 are probably the best on our experience.
      0 Not allowed!

Im glad we stocked up on a few hundred drives of various sizes to get through this!
    █ Brian Wing | RackmountsEtc™
    www.rackmountsetc.com - sales@rackmountsetc.com - 619-258-0573
    █ Custom built rackmount server systems from Atom to Sandybridge
    █ Custom Server Solutions to suit your needs™
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rackmounts View Post
    Im glad we stocked up on a few hundred drives of various sizes to get through this!
    Few hundreds is not going to be enough. I need at least 300-400 today and have no idea where will we find it... And such situation is not going to disappear quickly...
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sekweta View Post
    They must have improved dramatically.

Circa 2003-2004 we purchased ~10 cases of 36 GB IBM SCSI disks (at the time manufactured by Hitachi) for a large project, from different vendors, different batches, and our failure rate was shockingly high at around 30%. Seriously, not a typo, around 1 in 3 suffered sudden catastrophic failure-- no dancing around with bad blocks here and there, just boom, dead disk.

The badness was so widespread, we threw away the defective ones rather than RMA them because we knew we'd get refurb units in return. We sent 2 unopened cases back to the vendor.

From there, we ordered a large batch of 36 GB Seagate SCSI units to replace the IBM/Hitachi disks as they failed. Fortunately all systems were in RAID config so we could swap without downtime.

But what a disaster that was-- our first, and last, time buying anything but Seagate.
    Yeah, circa that timeframe these drives were called "deathstars" for this reason. Though to a certain extent every manufacturer can have these issues. We won't touch Seagate for the same reason you will only buy Seagate. WD has been good to us (aside from raptor drives which are terrible), so we buy all WD if we can help it. We buy 3tb hitachis and haven't had issues with those. Samsungs we bought 20 of those a while back, and they didn't perform that great and the failure rate was a little higher than our other disks, but by and large if WD wasn't so much better, then I would have no problem buying Samsungs again.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by cwl@apaqdigital View Post
    I though all you guys knew this by now!? WD spent 4.3B and bought Hitachi Global Storage back in March of this year:
    http://wdc.com/en/company/pressroom/...f-7f02aa42f444

that can explain the improved reliability of "Hitachi" disk drives...
    I'm sure that has little to do with the reliability. Remember, they used to be "IBM deathstars" before they became "hitachi deathstars". I'm pretty sure IBM designed the drive in the first place -- badly -- and then it took quite a while after hitachi bought out the deskstar business before they were able to resolve those problems. So their new products are totally different, although the deskstar name lives on. It's like if Porsche released a Porsche Pinto or a Porsche Edsel, people would be wary of buying it based on the name no matter what was under the hood.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by YuriyK View Post
    Desktop drives from seagate in the servers are really bad.
    IMO, anyone who puts desktop drives into 24x7 servers does so at their own peril, regardless of brand.

Quote Originally Posted by YuriyK View Post
    I can agree on it too, while enterprise and SAS2 are probably the best on our experience.
    The only Seagate disks we've ever had fail were AS (desktop) units and even then, the failure rate was ridiculously low.

We've never had a failure, ever, of the 15k SAS Cheetahs, nor any of the ES/NS series SATA disks which are designed for 24x7 use.

The Cheetas are pretty remarkable. They are pounded on HARD during weekdays without a complaint, and they're screaming fast.
    Last edited by Sekweta; 10-27-2011 at 05:23 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    Yeah, circa that timeframe these drives were called "deathstars" for this reason.
    Weren't the deathstars the 60 GB 7.2k SATA (or IDE) units?

Our disaster came from the 36 GB 10k SCSI units.

Samsungs we bought 20 of those a while back, and they didn't perform that great and the failure rate was a little higher than our other disks
    One of our clients has a NAS/SAN unit that came populated from the factory with Samsung disks. They started having failures after ~2 years, enough so that they did a proactive replacement of all the remaining "good" disks. (one by one of course, which took weeks to accomplish)
    Last edited by Sekweta; 10-27-2011 at 05:21 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Anyone know what's going to happen to RMA's? I just RMAd a few WD drives today and remembered about the shortage..
      0 Not allowed!

TERRIBLE news, folks!

by tomorrow morning, WD 500G/1GB, RE4 and black drives, wholesale price will be up to 100%-120% since Oct-18! one single 1TB RE4 will be ~US$220 comparing to under $100 on Oct-18, and single 500GB RE4 will be over $150...

this tells me supplies are drying out!

buy what you can tonight.
    C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
    http://www.apaqdigital.com
    sales@apaqdigital.com
      0 Not allowed!

... Wow. I'm glad we're not expanding so rapidly that we have to insist on new servers from both QuadraNet and I/O Flood.

We're good for now... but eventually, we will need to build new servers. Hopefully after next year Q2 starts, or whichever is the expected return-to-normal production period to resume.

The HDD manufacturers must be gleefully cackling all the way to the bank.
    ★ Nicholas @ EidolonHost
    ★ Blesta and InterWorx Reseller. See WebHost Licenses for details.
    ★ We have Let's Encrypt Support
      0 Not allowed!

What do you think will happen with major providers of dedicated servers? As Soflayer, Hetzner, OVH.

I have read that CEO of OVH announces that will receive only 20% of hard drives needed for November and 10% for December.

This added to the high prices of hard drives, I see a general increase prices especially in low-cost providers.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by skywin View Post
    What do you think will happen with major providers of dedicated servers? As Soflayer, Hetzner, OVH.

I have read that CEO of OVH announces that will receive only 20% of hard drives needed for November and 10% for December.

This added to the high prices of hard drives, I see a general increase prices especially in low-cost providers.
    I seriously hope so. Get some equilibrium back in this crappy market..
    AS395558
      0 Not allowed!

I've also read in several websites that the factories will return to normal activity in January. Really? If you see images of Thailand, I see complicated back to normal activity in 2 months.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by skywin View Post

I guess they can grab some used, recerf, refurb drives from eBay where you still can find plenty of.

correct me if wrong, dedi servers get "recycled" all the time, right? so, installing not-so-new drives in there may not be an "unethical" thing to do...
    C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
    http://www.apaqdigital.com
    sales@apaqdigital.com
      0 Not allowed!

Yes, that's so. But in OVH for example are buying 20k new hard drives per month to deliver new servers and have stock for failures.

I see a very serious problem if a provider of that size, will receive next month only 4k units.
    Last edited by skywin; 10-27-2011 at 07:06 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Ouch... yeah, that's a pretty serious problem.
    ★ Nicholas @ EidolonHost
    ★ Blesta and InterWorx Reseller. See WebHost Licenses for details.
    ★ We have Let's Encrypt Support
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by cwl@apaqdigital View Post
    I guess they can grab some used, recerf, refurb drives from eBay where you still can find plenty of.

correct me if wrong, dedi servers get "recycled" all the time, right? so, installing not-so-new drives in there may not be an "unethical" thing to do...
    I'm waiting to see people start using whitelabel drives <_<

Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaAnime View Post
    I'm waiting to see people start using whitelabel drives <_<

Francisco
    Ebay is viable for me since I don't need tons of drives. Just picked up 5x new 500's for $60 each which is halfway between the 'old' price of 40 and the current prices of 80. If I needed 50 drives a week though ebay wouldn't be very useful. For system builders the shortage is even worse than the higher prices. For me the higher price is the more relevant issue.
      0 Not allowed!

There would be less of a shortage if people were less scared of there being a shortage.

People are stocking up and getting drives they do not need yet.
    http://www.bitaccel.com/ - High resource vps hosting and vps resellers.
      0 Not allowed!

Ebay is viable for me since I don't need tons of drives. Just picked up 5x new 500's for $60 each which is halfway between the 'old' price of 40 and the current prices of 80. If I needed 50 drives a week though ebay wouldn't be very useful. For system builders the shortage is even worse than the higher prices. For me the higher price is the more relevant issue.
    You can get what's known as 'whitelabel' drives which are refirb drives that weren't done by the 1st party so they get this silly label over the drives but they're pretty much the same drives.

They get a 1 year warranty on them and i've been tempted to pick up a single drive just to see how they do but don't really have the nerves yet

Francisco
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony
      0 Not allowed!

You can get what's known as 'whitelabel' drives which are refirb drives that weren't done by the 1st party so they get this silly label over the drives but they're pretty much the same drives.

They get a 1 year warranty on them and i've been tempted to pick up a single drive just to see how they do but don't really have the nerves yet
    I hope you're not considering them for server use.

I wouldn't use refurbs in servers even if they were free.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sekweta View Post
    I hope you're not considering them for server use.

I wouldn't use refurbs in servers even if they were free.
    The whites? not at all. We got some refirbs in our internal nodes and they've not caused us a single issue nor do I really expect any

Francisco
      0 Not allowed!

The whites? not at all. We got some refirbs in our internal nodes and they've not caused us a single issue nor do I really expect any

Francisco
    Famous last words before Murphy arrives at your racks
    Hostigation.com - High Resource Hosting
    WHM/cPanel Servers for Hosting and Dedicated Needs
    SolusVM VPS Hosting - Big Features, Small Prices
    Like us on Facebook or follow @hostigation on Twitter
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by YDGH-Corey View Post
    There would be less of a shortage if people were less scared of there being a shortage.

People are stocking up and getting drives they do not need yet.
    Agreed! What's up with all the panics going on
      0 Not allowed!

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast