Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hostworkz View Post
    I'm having some issues getting started with the new WHMCS modules. The old ones work good, but configuring the new ones is a royal pain and i'm not sure why it can't authenticate with the OnApp control server.

Is there a third party mail list for OnApp customers? We submit tickets to support and they make out like we're the only one having problems! Its a great product with huge potential but I feel i'm too reliant on OnApp.
    Hello, sorry to hear you're having issues. Feel free to contact me caroline [at] onapp.com - I can put you in touch with your Account Manager to help.
    Caroline Paine
    Commercial Operations Manager @ www.onapp.com
    Inquisitive Foodie @ www.inquisitivefoodie.com

Quote Originally Posted by FRCorey View Post
    Okay so I'm not the only one running into issues.

We have to get out of Hostbill it's just too buggy. Paypal, Amazon Payments, and Bitpay randomly fail to record transactions, the credit card module for our processor does not support refunds, and we get this random mysql error hundreds of times an hour.
    You aren't the only one, all of our call backs break often through their updates and you have to go back in and re-save them. We do not get the MySQL errors, would be easier if there was an error generated somewhere on the callback issues, but Hostbill is full of stupid stuff like this that makes it a pain.

We've been using OA 3.2 since shortly after release with IS. After the upgrade we had some hiccups, but all of those seem to be solved now.

I am thinking of setting up an unofficial mail list where customers of OnApp can post to, for discussion around Onapp. I'd be a technical list for answering questions such as "have you upgraded", etc. Just so your not 100% reliant on Onapp.

I also believe it would add some piece of mind because it freaks me out when we are having issues and Onapp come across that nobody else is having the same issue.

Thoughts?

There is an onapp group on LinkedIn

We recently started the group "OnApp Users" on LinkedIn for just such a reason. Please feel free to join.

Quote Originally Posted by dediserve View Post
    There is an onapp group on LinkedIn
    Was about to mention that.

Doesn't seem to be too many people using it at this stage. I have seen Onapp members join in, so they are watching it

Quote Originally Posted by nextcloud View Post
    I am thinking of setting up an unofficial mail list where customers of OnApp can post to, for discussion around Onapp. I'd be a technical list for answering questions such as "have you upgraded", etc. Just so your not 100% reliant on Onapp.

I also believe it would add some piece of mind because it freaks me out when we are having issues and Onapp come across that nobody else is having the same issue.

Thoughts?
    Hi, why don't you just contact your Account Manager to help?

Also, if you're using our free version we have online docs and forums for support.
    Caroline Paine
    Commercial Operations Manager @ www.onapp.com
    Inquisitive Foodie @ www.inquisitivefoodie.com

had them upgrade us a couple weeks ago.
    WORST upgrade ever. No, really

Tech came in, with no notice, no warning, just started upgrading. We knew it was going to happen, just not when.

When VMs started not responding (due to load caused by upgrade), they were rebooted. Tech cancelled the reboots

When confronted, tech just said
    Calm down and let me finish
    so, this company basically expects you to let them come in whenever, trash your servers, load them down, not be accountable in the least bit.

Adding to all that, things just haven't worked the same since the upgrade.

An upgrade should not impact the operation of virtual machines, most of the actual effort is on the control panel itself and Hypervisor upgrades are extremely quick and straight forward, ultimately it's primarily package upgrades, it sounds like something else was contributing to this issue?
    The Cloud Simplified (http://www.thecloudsimplified.com)
    Public & Private IaaS Cloud Solutions, N+1 Public Cloud Powered By IBM & OnApp
    Enterprise High Availability, IPv4 & IPv6 Mission Critical Platforms As Standard
    Follow us on Facebook & Twitter @CloudSimplified

Quote Originally Posted by TheCloudSimplified View Post
    An upgrade should not impact the operation of virtual machines, most of the actual effort is on the control panel itself and Hypervisor upgrades are extremely quick and straight forward, ultimately it's primarily package upgrades, it sounds like something else was contributing to this issue?
    Should not, and did not are two different things. I agree, this should not have affected the VMs at all

It was quite easy to tell when they were upgrading or doing something on this. The VMs jumped to 50+ load within minutes

First step in upgrading any cloud infrastructure is temporarily disabling HA... I'm surprised the VMs were auto-rebooted during the upgrade - or is it your own separate system that bounces VMs based on load?
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Nothing automated about it. It's all human (even at 3am )
    I received notifications that they were unavailable due to load
    I attempted to reboot when they couldn't be reached via SSH. It's what you're supposed to do, keep client sites online.

Thats weird, all the updates we've done

3.08 to 3.1
    3.1 to 3.1.2
    3.1.2 to 3.2

No virtual machines were affected whatsoever, and no hypervisors were rebooted.

We do use KVM , i dont know if its different with other platforms, i believe with Xen its a different scenario if im not mistaken.

On a side note, we do our own upgrades, we prefer not to rely on Onapp schedules which most of the time dont work for us, this since you cant really instruct them at what time to do them.
    RACKNATION: Costa Rica DDOS Protected Servers & Colocation - [ https://www.racknation.cr ]

I did my own upgrades for awhile but when I ran into issues, I was told "the upgrade team works between blah blah blah" and I would be dead in the water until the next business day or until I really pushed for someone to look at it.

one thing we found with onapp outside of the bugs is its a hardware hog on everything. We are testing other cloud solutions as well right now, my techs are not 100% happy with onAPP, i find the support good for most of the time.
    Rebel Networks
    Geek Powered Hosting - The Cloud Made Simple
    SuperHero 24 |7 | 365 Support
    Please Visit us @ www.rebelnetworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dominator View Post
    one thing we found with onapp outside of the bugs is its a hardware hog on everything. We are testing other cloud solutions as well right now, my techs are not 100% happy with onAPP, i find the support good for most of the time.
    Kind of a broad statement isnt it ? ...
    could you elaborate hardware hog on what part ?

hypervisors ?
    backups ?

Our experience with onapp cloud based on Xen was terrible, but once we moved into KVM its been a nice ride.
    RACKNATION: Costa Rica DDOS Protected Servers & Colocation - [ https://www.racknation.cr ]

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dominator View Post
    What other platforms are you testing?
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

Onapp = ONSHIT

Wont say much but I wont recommend it to no one. Not even my worst enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Photonhelper View Post
    Onapp = ONSHIT

Sorry to hear you've had problems with OnApp. Im working from my phone now however Ive started a discussion internally with our TAMs and support team, and will be in touch as soon as I arrive in the office today.

Onapp = ONSHIT

That's very harsh.

OnApp is a great platform with huge potential.

Yes it is a great platform ...
    Sad to see people making generalisations in such a way instead of elaborating what in specific happened that you are so unhappy.
    Weve had our bumps in the way with onapp as well as any other platform we've used, is simply the nature of the beast.

Onapp = ONSHIT

Can you let us know what you had issues with? It doesn't make much sense to post a comment like this without saying what happened.
    Corey Arbogast | CEO
    █ 888-X10-9668, x703 - corey[@]x10hosting.com

I think there are just way to much and to many issues to list with onapp, I think that summarizes it. You can reduce hardware requirements and improve over all resources with Apache Cloud stack and for a paid product VMware vSphere. We are going though testing modes right now for both products
    Rebel Networks
    Geek Powered Hosting - The Cloud Made Simple
    SuperHero 24 |7 | 365 Support
    Please Visit us @ www.rebelnetworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by racknationcr View Post
    Yes it is a great platform ...
    Sad to see people making generalisations in such a way instead of elaborating what in specific happened that you are so unhappy.
    Weve had our bumps in the way with onapp as well as any other platform we've used, is simply the nature of the beast.

Every beast has its nature; however, our onapp is simply a beast.

Some may say hardware is the cause of problems, or network. True, but when the hardware requirements were given to you by onapp, and have an entire DATA CENTER network at your disposal. What's to say then? Specially when Onapp made the setup for you?

To keep things short I will go straight to some annoying points that have hurt our reputation.

Random HV kernel panicking due to memory swapping. We were asked to implement more HV which will be use for swapping purpose. for those that use Onapp and use the requirement hardware you know how expensive it is to add one HV. Not to say how annoying it is having to deal with something that could had been prevented from the very beginning.

Kernel panics due to "nf_conntrack: table full, dropping packet". The nf_contrack were too low by default which lead to the HV to overload and kernel panic. Series of dev fixes and sysct.conf changes reduced the nf_conntrack crashes. We still have them but are being worked on by the devs.

Not to say how long it takes to get all of the VM machines back online when a HV crashes.The onapp panel cant' handle high amounts of queues, so if you try starting 10 machines at once you will guarantee locked up the queue. Then having to deal with degraded vdisk, or zombie process due to the crash.

Network stops responding on VM machines, reasons unexplained. We were asked to wait two months for an upgrade that supposedly patches the random loss of network. Not to say how fun it was to implement the updates, took us almost two months to update to then be told that we need to upgrade again. LOL

The original datastore implementation done by the onapp admins was horribly wrong we ended with a degraded datastore that was not redundant with extremely poor performance. We had to purchase 4 more HV to make the setup redundant, and still no performance although improvements have been made.

Forgot to say the extremely high LOAD the datastore cause, and how it cuts the VM performance to a fraction due to the series of reads and writes it makes.

I have a whole entire book of problems I can keep posting but the truth is that Onapp is the better product out there for fast Virtual machine deployment. Its great if it works I suppose. Support is okay, until you have to argue with them that the problems you are having are not server related but HV related.

Not to say that you don't have control of the product problems, I bet a datastore node stops responding, or the datastore API stops running theres no way you will fix the issue unless you worked for onapp or happen to know their product better than the employees, or open a ticket.

These are the problems I deal with on daily basics, and to be truthful I wish they fix all of our problems. I just want to move on to more important matters than having to deal wit the same o BS.
    Last edited by Photonhelper; 05-06-2014 at 08:07 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast