Best Internet Service Provider in South Africa

We are looking for 10Mbps - 100Mbps Internet Bandwidth in Capetown. Can anybody suggest us the best provider in there.

Also, what should be a typical pricing range out there.

Delivered to where? An office building? A datacenter? Who is onnet in that specific datacenter?
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

We are looking at Data Centers and need to find one. Probably Telehouse

Cape Town: MWEB, Hetzner.
    Last edited by dotHostel; 10-26-2011 at 01:17 PM.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

Quote Originally Posted by garvoo View Post
    We are looking for 10Mbps - 100Mbps Internet Bandwidth in Capetown. Can anybody suggest us the best provider in there.
    Hi,

I would suggest that you check out Teraco (www.teraco.co.za) in Cape Town (in the Great Westerford building - they also have facilities in Joburg and just opened in Durban too).

Teraco don't sell transit at all, but are a new-ish carrier-neutral colocation provider (the only one in SA that I'm aware of) and I would say they have the most well connected facility in the Cape Town. I had a tour there and it is really a nice facility, up to US/EU standards.

They have all the larger providers ("national Tier-1's"), and some smaller regional IP transit providers in the facility, so you can pick and choose. Cross connects are quite reasonable too.

You can use their website to find a full list of providers in the facility to request quotes from.

Regarding transit pricing:

It is still very expensive in SA.
    If you don't yet have much of an idea of SA transit pricing, brace yourself :-) It's coming down all the time though with the new undersea cables, DC's and more competition, etc.

SA providers usually split the local and international portions of transit (local obviously being cheaper). One can buy "blended" transit, i.e. 50/50 international/local.

For 10 Mbps, you are probably looking at pricing ranging from 6-8K ZAR p/m.

For 100 Mbps, perhaps you could get this for around 2-4K ZAR p/m.

Get quotes from as many providers as you can as it tends to vary a lot I found. Negotiate hard and you could probably get a "good" deal.

Let me know if you need more info.

Best of luck.

PS: Telehouse is actually a tenant in Teraco's facilities. That's not to say they wont have comparable pricing/services though.
    Qube Managed Services Limited
    Qube Managed Hosting, Inc
    vCloud PoweredŽ Virtual Data Center | Cloud Servers | Private Cloud | Managed Dedicated | Managed Colocation
    New York | London | Zurich - http://www.qubenet.net/

@qube_ms

Thanks for sharing!

Expect to pay at least 50EUR / Mbit, if not 100.
    Also contact Telecom Italia, they are usualy cheaper but not focused on the local market.

William

Hi William,

You sure you responded to the right post here?

Would be great news if it really is 50-100 EUR per Mbps, but that's far lower than I have ever seen..

Also, Telecom Italia (Tiscali?) sold off their South African business some years ago, unless they are getting back into that market?
    vCloud PoweredŽ Virtual Data Center | Cloud Servers | Private Cloud | Managed Dedicated | Managed Colocation

I'm curious how elitehost.co.za can offer local VPS with unmetered BW as low as R200. What are the price difference, if any, between domestic bandwith and international bw in SA? What is the impact of IX launches like NeutrINX?
    Last edited by dotHostel; 10-31-2011 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by qube_ms View Post
    Hi William,

You sure you responded to the right post here?

Would be great news if it really is 50-100 EUR per Mbps, but that's far lower than I have ever seen..

Also, Telecom Italia (Tiscali?) sold off their South African business some years ago, unless they are getting back into that market?

Hmm?
    I pay around 60EUR / Mbit with Namibia Telecom in South Africa (a side business of them)....
    Telecom Italia still owns the fiber ring around the continent (all 3 to be exact).

William

Quote Originally Posted by EDIS View Post
    Hmm?
    I pay around 60EUR / Mbit with Namibia Telecom in South Africa (a side business of them)....
    Telecom Italia still owns the fiber ring around the continent (all 3 to be exact).
    William,

Really? That's very interesting!

Could you let us know which data center facility your bandwidth is delivered to and what media it is delivered over? Also, what is your monthly CDR for that pricing level per Mbps?

Thanks!