Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up HostGator Review

I've been using HostGator as one of my many hosting providers for the few past years.
    These providers include Hosting24, WebHostingPlanet, etc.

SPEED - 9/10 - Very fast servers, but still not as fast as they can be. 99.9% uptime guarantee has never been broken on any of my accounts.

SECURITY - 10/10 - HostGator has wonderful security. In fact, they have a whole security department to investigate anything unusual. Weekly automated backups too.

SUPPORT - 5/10 - Customer support can sometimes be slow or difficult, but overall they get the job done.

I started using HostGator when I found a 404 page on some site hosted with them around 2009 that offered a promotional code to start hosting for a penny. Overall I like their services and qualities, though they do lack in customer support a bit. The knowledgebase on their website is amazing and huge, and answers mostly all questions I have. However, it is very difficult to LEAVE HostGator. If you request account cancellation, they will keep trying to delay the cancellation or ignore it. I'm currently trying to cancel a Windows server with them because I bought the same thing, just as Linux, and they are refusing to cancel the account.

Please let me know if you've had any issues like mine with cancellation. I'm curious if it's just me.

Nice review too bad they are messing with you on cancelation. Other then support sounds like they are pretty goods.

Quote Originally Posted by Bannana97 View Post
    I started using HostGator when I found a 404 page on some site hosted with them around 2009 that offered a promotional code to start hosting for a penny.
    Sorry but such marketing tactics turn my stomach. From my perspective it is just plain wrong to use a clients 404 page (which the client is paying for) to promote a web hosts business without the clients permission.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    Sorry but such marketing tactics turn my stomach. From my perspective it is just plain wrong to use a clients 404 page (which the client is paying for) to promote a web hosts business without the clients permission.
    Yes, I do agree, but hey -- I found a deal.

Well you can always change the error pages

Quote Originally Posted by SeriesN View Post
    Well you can always change the error pages
    My point being if I am paying for the web hosting, they should not be using MY 404 pages to advertise their business.

I should not have to change any 404 page to get rid of their obnoxious and intrusive advert.

Quote Originally Posted by Bannana97 View Post
    Please let me know if you've had any issues like mine with cancellation. I'm curious if it's just me.
    You might find this WHT tread of interest.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1111111

I've always liked hostgator, but their prices are not the cheapest that they could be for the money they make :|

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    You assume the 404 was placed there by HG. I use my 404 pages to serve ads. Same for 500 and a few other errors. There's also links to perform Google searches for whatever they wanted, and an explanation of why the 404 is there. On a few sites, I even make the 404 into a joke.

HostGator is a great host, if you have small/basic sites that best fit into a shared unlimited environment.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

I am also using hostgator for the past 3 months and I have used their VPS hosting in the past too, when I cancelled my VPS they didn't try to delay or ignore it but just asked me why I want to cancel and offered their help to solve any issue I might be facing?

When I said I cannot afford the VPS fees that's why I am cancelling, they happily cancelled it and wished me good luck to come back to them in future
    Professional Banner Design :: Complete Satisfaction & Fast Turnaround
    InspireFusion.com :: Art, Design & Inspiration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    You assume the 404 was placed there by HG.
    The topic of Hostgator placing ads on their 404 pages has been beat to death here at WHT.

But here is an example from the HostGator forum of what I was talking about.

http://forums.hostgator.com/showpost...2&postcount=64

Bannana97 it shouldn't be difficult at all to cancel. Do you have a ticket number I can take a look at? The only thing I can think of causing you a problem is if you didn't put a reason on why you were canceling. If there's no reason we'll always respond back asking for one.

Our windows support team is much smaller and 100% different then our linux support. I have a feeling that 5 will go much higher once you get to experience our linux support and see what it's made of.

By default on our shared hosting plans and only shared we load a 404 page that says the site is hosted by hostgator with a coupon code. This page includes directions telling our customers how to upload their own custom 404 page to remove the default. It only takes a few seconds to remove, and believe it or not most customers are happy to see it since they aren't familiar with custom 404's and what they do.

Very great review, I know they do play some retention tactic’s with you before you cancel but any large companies usually does. If you make it clear you would like to cancel I have never had to reply to a ticket more than twice and was canceled with in 15 minutes.

In my opinion , Hostgator is the best onshore webhosting. I am hosting all my sites with them.

I tested the commercial support in past and seems very very good...but when you want singup...hostgator request a identification via drive document or passport and i think it's bad because i don't know how hostgator keep my data for identification the real account.
    The law about privacy is different in all countries in the world...so i'm curious to know how hostgator manage it.

HostGator is a great company, i've heard their support is slow because they are currently expanding their staff and working on getting a new building to accomodate the new staff (please correct me if i'm wrong). Also i'm sorry about them messing with you on your cancellation . I canceled with them a couple of months ago and got a refund so i'm not sure what's going on. Have you emailed the owner of HostGator to see if he can help you?

You guys have got to be kidding about Hostgator. They are on (or owned by?) "ThePlanet" - a legendary hacker protected zone. Ever try to deal with security there? Ever try to stop intentional attacks coming from ThePlanet IP space?

Never had a more contrary and "So what?" reaction from ANY security dept in all my years. I would not put ANYONE on ThePlanet's network!

What ? You say that The Planet host hacker on their network ? you can explain it better ?

Sure... I have dealt with their security dept 3 times. An utter and complete waste of time. It was like talking to clueless 3rd grader. Each time the phone calls went like this (after asking to be connected to their security department):

------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: "We are a web hosting company. One of our ecommerce sites is being actively attacked by a user on a static IP on your network."

ThePlanet: "So?"

Me: "If we provide you the logs and traceroutes as evidence will you take action against this user? At least cut their connection?"

ThePlanet: "Why?"

Me: "Because they are actively and intentionally attacking a reputable ecommerce site. They are concurrently trying to brute force their FTP, they are slamming the web server with mass of wacko lame exploit attempts, and they are trying to brute force email accounts as well. I can prove it all with logs and traceroutes - what more do you need?!?!?"

ThePlanet: "Well, that happens."

Me: "But what will you do about it?"

ThePlanet: "There is nothing we can do. They will just start again from another IP or something like that."

CLICK - the sound of them hanging up the phone.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

I have had better success dealing with SysAdmins in Bulgaria; and substantially more professionalism.

Heck guys - hostgator does not even have valid reverse NS entries for their own primary company web site! Do a lookup on "hostgator.com" and "www.hostgator.com" and see what you get.

We will block ThePlanet IP space at the drop of a hat. I would not host my dog's web sites on their network. To each their own I guess...

Hi Surfbulb,

We are still overstaffed as a company meaning our support times are excellent. In fact as I write this our main support que is at 0 tickets. We still have a decent amount of space for new hires in both houston and austin. We're expanding to a new building but that space isn't going to be needed for many months.

Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post
    Hi Surfbulb,

We are still overstaffed as a company meaning our support times are excellent. In fact as I write this our main support que is at 0 tickets. We still have a decent amount of space for new hires in both houston and austin. We're expanding to a new building but that space isn't going to be needed for many months.
    Sorry about that brent! Thats why I said I was unsure I dont want to post untrue information. Thanks for
    Clairfying!
    Surfbulb.com Coming Soon!
    We provide tutorials for cPanel/WHM, WHMCS, Client Exec, HostBillApp and more!

<--- It's true!

No problem. =)

There's always periods where we get flooded such as Black Friday, but with the current staffing we're able to catch up very quickly.

Good you are happy with them mate! Do post near future updates as well.

thanks for review

Interesting thread. I also use hostgator (shared) and I don't complain in genral, not even for the customer service which is ok for me. I will remember about the cancelation issue, though. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast