Hybrid View

Thumbs down My experience with Numaria

Hello,

I am very familliar with the hosting industry and I've been around a long time, and I know there are alot of bad companys with hoax offers and bad servers.

However I was still very shocked to see a so unprofessional hosting company as Numaria. It started quite good, they had instant activation, WHM and cPanel. But it didn't take me long before I noticted they had seriously oversold the space. I chose to try out the reseller account with 20 gb space and apparently I had been assigned to a HDD with 20 gb space, this wasn't any problem as that would be my limit, but apparently someone else was on the same HDD and had used 13 gb. So I was left with 7 gb out of the 20 gb I was supossed to have.

Well I didn't bother to whine about it, since I wasnt using my 7 gb yet. But this wasnt the end of the problems. About 4 hours after I had signed up the site went down. Funny thing was that their mainsite went down aswell and the problem was Apache not restarting (even though they should have a system that automatically restarts it) first time it took them about 4 hours to hit restart, and as i said this didnt happend once. After about 6 hours of use the whole system died however everything beside the apache managed to recover. However this time it took almost 8 HOURS for them to restart it. And they were perfectly aware that it was down.

They may claim they were under attack by DDoS however the memory usage, CPU aswell as ping was at normal level most of the day. So this is only a very sad attempt to try to keep a "good" reputation.

This wasn't the end of my problems. They decided to suspend my account for having a download script online (which is allowed by their ToS) But just to cover it up they decided to claim that I have misused their system resources. However the only limit I was given was Bandwith and Space. Which I couldnt even misuse as the HDD was almost full and 200 gb bandwith in 12 hours (host was down 12 hours) is really hard when the server has a 4 mbps internet connection.

This thing really opend my eyes and im indeed glad this was only a trial. As getting money back from this company would have been a nightmare.
    While the server was down I had decided to check out what type of people they are and it didn't take long after a search on WHT that they are complete amatures. For instance they asked for support on how to delete a folder in Linux. Im not gonna comment this as anyone can see they atleast does not know what to do.
    One last thing was their emergency numbers which custommers were supposed to call if service was down. However surprisingly nobody answered the phone.

Thanks for reading,

Kossu
      0 Not allowed!

I would suggest you be a bit more careful next time, especially with instant activations!
      0 Not allowed!

ouch!

sounds like you got a bad deal.

I hope you get ya money back (all of it).

and not having staff on the phones is terrible!!
    The Hosting Heroes Ltd - over 20 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers | VPS Reseller for WHMCS
    www.thehostingheroes.com
      0 Not allowed!

Well I was very carefull considering I chose to test them out first before paying
      0 Not allowed!

Good move but gotta give them credit as most hosts won't do that.
      0 Not allowed!

Ouch I am sorry Kossu like you said good thing it was a trial I suppose. Luckily that is why it is a good idea to test a service for awhile and then move the big sites you plan to host with them just to be safe. Hopefully others will see this review and make there own decision on what is best for them and there site.
      0 Not allowed!

I chose to try out the reseller account with 20 gb space and apparently I had been assigned to a HDD with 20 gb space, this wasn't any problem as that would be my limit, but apparently someone else was on the same HDD and had used 13 gb. So I was left with 7 gb out of the 20 gb I was supossed to have.
    Hmm.. a server with a 20Gb disk? Maybe this was a special server for "trial" accounts?

Good move but gotta give them credit as most hosts won't do that.
    Good point!
      0 Not allowed!

Dear affected customers,

Firstly, we are very sorry for you to have had to go through the downtime described above. Our main server (where our site is hosted on as well as some customers' sites) had problems with httpd restarting. We will fully review the few customers affected by this problem to make sure everyone's complete satisfaction.

Dear Kossu,

There are two things we would like to say regarding your note above:

Your account was NOT suspended because or any bandwidth or diskspace issues. Indeed, you may have thought that diskspace is low, as we use multiple servers to BACK EACH OTHER UP, thus, a certain proportion (~30%) of a servers space is not user accounts but backup data. When users fill up their space, we simply move the backups to a different server or ours. We would never suspend a user because disk usage, and the same would have applied to you. Therefore, the use of "Overselling" is not appropriate in the context above.

We suspended your account because you were downloading (or letting people download) illegal content [illegally-obtained movies etc to be specific]. At the time of your account being suspended there were enough connections to the server (to your account) that all (!) system resources of the entire server were used up by your activities.
    Numaria.com For peace of mind +44 800 075 8187 +1 800 985 8187
    Shared Hosting • Reseller • VPS • Dedicated Servers • SSL • Domain Names
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by numaria
    Dear affected customers,

Firstly, we are very sorry for you to have had to go through the downtime described above. Our main server (where our site is hosted on as well as some customers' sites) had problems with httpd restarting. We will fully review the few customers affected by this problem to make sure everyone's complete satisfaction.

Dear Kossu,

There are two things we would like to say regarding your note above:

Your account was NOT suspended because or any bandwidth or diskspace issues. Indeed, you may have thought that diskspace is low, as we use multiple servers to BACK EACH OTHER UP, thus, a certain proportion (~30%) of a servers space is not user accounts but backup data. When users fill up their space, we simply move the backups to a different server or ours. We would never suspend a user because disk usage, and the same would have applied to you. Therefore, the use of "Overselling" is not appropriate in the context above.

We suspended your account because you were downloading (or letting people download) illegal content [illegally-obtained movies etc to be specific]. At the time of your account being suspended there were enough connections to the server (to your account) that all (!) system resources of the entire server were used up by your activities.
    1. Well first of all 65% was in use (thats not ~30%) And it was at over 99% when I got suspended so I guess your company didn't bother to move away the backups.

2. True, I did indeed download. However NOTHING of the content downloaded was illegal, I told the support staff this, but guess they did not even bother to ask more information, instead they decided to keep me waiting for 35 minutes in instant chat. I did not bother to wait longer as obviously you and your company did not show any interest at ALL in solving this or coming to an agreement.

You say I was using all system resources? Well CPU was at less than 1 and memory usage at normal level. Also it doesnt even say nor limit usage of the server (doesnt even matter as it was at normal level anyway)

It was also quite funny to be accused for misuing the system resources without even getting an explanation on what was wrong.

-Kossu
      0 Not allowed!

Dear Kossu,

Does this look illegal enough for you?

Lucky.Number.Slevin.2006.RETAiL.DVDRip.XviD_LPD.torrent
    Simpsons.Season.09._.Complete._rl_2.torrent
    The.Matador.PROPER.DVDR_TGP.torrent
    The.Omen.iNTERNAL.TC.XviD_ASTEROiDS.torrent
    american_dad_106_107.prio
    american_dad_106_107.stat
    american_dad_106_107.stat.pid
    american_dad_106_107.torrent
    firmware_for_hitachi_lg_47d_xbox_360_dvd_drive1_1_ind.stat
    firmware_for_hitachi_lg_47d_xbox_360_dvd_drive1_1_ind.stat.pid
    king_of_the_hill_1009.stat
    king_of_the_hill_1009.torrent
    king_of_the_hill_1010.stat
    king_of_the_hill_1010.torrent
    lucky_number_slevin_2006_retail_dvdrip_xvid_lpd.stat
    lucky_number_slevin_2006_retail_dvdrip_xvid_lpd.stat.pid
    rsscache_245cb9c171898785380a75a6d1ae3e71
    simpsons_1607_1609_1621.stat 0
    simpsons_1607_1609_1621.stat.pid 0
    simpsons_1607_1609_1621.torrent 44
    simpsons_season_09___complete__rl_2.stat
    simpsons_season_09___complete__rl_2.stat.pid
    the_matador_proper_dvdr_tgp.stat
    the_matador_proper_dvdr_tgp.stat.pid
    the_omen_internal_tc_xvid_asteroids.stat
    the_omen_internal_tc_xvid_asteroids.stat.pid
    two_pints_of_lager_and_a_packet_of_crisps_101_106.stat

Furthermore Kossu, your account attracted over 20000 request in a very short period of time, resulting in 3.5GB of bandwidth. That in itself isn't the problem. The problem is that this bandwidth was caused by files only a few kilobytes in size. If you need hosting with system resources of a dedicated server, then GET A DEDICATED SERVER, instead of pretending to be legitimate, moan and waste everyones' time. Yes, our response to the downtime was not appropriate and we will review this. Do not get that mixed up with those two issues. You are to blame for illegal use. Period.

As mentioned to you in our email earlier, we will be more than happy to unsuspend your account should you wish to use it for legitimate purposes.

Kind regards,

Numaria
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by numaria
    Dear Kossu,

Does this look illegal enough for you?
    Lucky.Number.Slevin.2006.RETAiL.DVDRip.XviD_LPD.torrent
    Simpsons.Season.09._.Complete._rl_2.torrent
    The.Matador.PROPER.DVDR_TGP.torrent
    The.Omen.iNTERNAL.TC.XviD_ASTEROiDS.torrent
    american_dad_106_107.prio
    american_dad_106_107.stat
    american_dad_106_107.stat.pid
    american_dad_106_107.torrent
    firmware_for_hitachi_lg_47d_xbox_360_dvd_drive1_1_ind.stat
    firmware_for_hitachi_lg_47d_xbox_360_dvd_drive1_1_ind.stat.pid
    king_of_the_hill_1009.stat
    king_of_the_hill_1009.torrent
    king_of_the_hill_1010.stat
    king_of_the_hill_1010.torrent
    lucky_number_slevin_2006_retail_dvdrip_xvid_lpd.stat
    lucky_number_slevin_2006_retail_dvdrip_xvid_lpd.stat.pid
    rsscache_245cb9c171898785380a75a6d1ae3e71
    simpsons_1607_1609_1621.stat 0
    simpsons_1607_1609_1621.stat.pid 0
    simpsons_1607_1609_1621.torrent 44
    simpsons_season_09___complete__rl_2.stat
    simpsons_season_09___complete__rl_2.stat.pid
    the_matador_proper_dvdr_tgp.stat
    the_matador_proper_dvdr_tgp.stat.pid
    the_omen_internal_tc_xvid_asteroids.stat
    the_omen_internal_tc_xvid_asteroids.stat.pid
    two_pints_of_lager_and_a_packet_of_crisps_101_106.stat
    Furthermore Kossu, your account attracted over 20000 request in a very short period of time, resulting in 3.5GB of bandwidth. That in itself isn't the problem. The problem is that this bandwidth was caused by files only a few kilobytes in size. If you need hosting with system resources of a dedicated server, then GET A DEDICATED SERVER, instead of pretending to be legitimate, moan and waste everyones' time. Yes, our response to the downtime was not appropriate and we will review this. Do not get that mixed up with those two issues. You are to blame for illegal use. Period.

As mentioned to you in our email earlier, we will be more than happy to unsuspend your account should you wish to use it for legitimate purposes.

Kind regards,

Numaria
    Hello,

First of I'd like to say that I find it directly amusing that you go and post on a board what files I've had on my account. Even though in this case I don't really care. But you really managed to show that you can't care less about the customer.

Ah well, moving on. You don't really seem to know much about file extensions to be honest. Every single file you just posted are 100% legal. As they do NOT contain ANY COPYRIGHTED material. Only information of its exsistance. So my friendly suggestion is: Get some knowledge about stuff first.

"All problems went away" There were no other problems than your staff not being able to hit the restart button. Oh and if your trying to blame the server being down due to apache crashing on me, then you can stop bothering, as the script does not use apache, only the interface.

"it doesn’t take a rooky to work out why a torrent-based account would get suspended" Well if you would know anything about this matter you would understand that you can't categorize torrents as illegal. As the majority people use it to download legal stuff (for instance Linux releases)

Oh and thank you for the moral lecture. I got one in store for you aswell:

1. If you once offer an account with whatever limits and services. You need to make sure you give them, as under 24 hours you managed to lower the uptime down to 50% and to only offer 35% of what you said you would give. As you can see the figures speak for themselves.

Best Regards,
    Kossu
      0 Not allowed!

Dear Kossu,

To add to your note above, your use of system resources did cripple the server, this was not an ongoing process but in bursts, something you wouldn’t have seen on cpanel. FYI: Since your account was suspended, all the server problems "went away". This is no coincidence... We have countless customers using a lot more disk space and bandwidth than you did in your 24hrs you've been using your torrent site. NONE of those (high disk/BW) customers abuse system resources. Doing so is selfish and lets our other customers down.

Fair enough, being understaffed for a couple of shifts can have effects that are undesirable for customer and company (two apologies on that already above), but we have stated VERY CLEARLY to you that you have used your hosting with us for Illegal purposes, and we don't accept such practice. You say that you are familiar with the Hosting Industry, and have been around for a long time. However, it doesn’t take a rooky to work out why a torrent-based account would get suspended.

There is one final point we would like to mention to you Kossu:

1. From a moral-point-of-view, you have completely undermined our generous “1 Month FREE 20GB/200GB” reseller offer, which is clearly aimed at serious resellers that appreciate help getting started and not people “abusing the system”. Shame upon you.

Regards,

Numaria
      0 Not allowed!

Putting aside the debate about wether or not torrents are illegal, and wether or not the account being suspended is reasonable or not...

1. Only 7Gb of the promised 20Gb space was actually avaliable.
    2. The server was down for around 12hours at least, even after being alerted to the fact it was down it still took over 4 hours for the "restart apache" button to be pressed.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Reines
    Putting aside the debate about wether or not torrents are illegal, and wether or not the account being suspended is reasonable or not...

1. Only 7Gb of the promised 20Gb space was actually avaliable.
    2. The server was down for around 12hours at least, even after being alerted to the fact it was down it still took over 4 hours for the "restart apache" button to be pressed.
    Dear Reines,

We have made it very clear that the downtime will be investigated and appropriate action taken for all customers’ complete satisfaction. We have apologies many times, and are genuinely sorry about what happened. We thought this was very clearly stated above.

In regards to Kossus' use of the account, well, it would be difficult to deny what the account has been used for (torrent use for copyrighted material). We know the files aren't downloaded to or from our hosting space, but this isn't really relevant. As mentioned above, your account was used for illegal purposes, and that is why we shut you down.

As far as the server crashes are concerned. We have been experiencing troubles with httpd restarting automatically. This in itself isn't a great deal, but when customers like you start constantly overloading the server, it crashes. In this particular instance, it wasn't able to recover automatically. So, yes, it was indirectly to do with your action, and we haven’t had any issues since [Note: even though you may have contributed to our downtime, we are not blaming you as the httpd restarts should have worked automatically]. In a normal environment, a server would have been extremely slow. Using CPU of a dedicated server on a shared environment is simply inappropriate. As mentioned above, get a dedicated server.

Down the morality-side-of-things,
    We have made it perfectly clear that a) we're sorry about the downtime and b) appropriate action will be taken. However, you seem to be convinced that abusing our system and hosting torrent files for copyrighted material is perfectly fine. Well, it isn't.

Regards,

Numaria
      0 Not allowed!

Ah well, moving on. You don't really seem to know much about file extensions to be honest. Every single file you just posted are 100% legal. As they do NOT contain ANY COPYRIGHTED material. Only information of its exsistance. So my friendly suggestion is: Get some knowledge about stuff first.
    Well, I doubt any legitimate host would happily let you "link" to illegal content. Help the Linux distros and you won't have any problems.
      0 Not allowed!