Hybrid View

Server4Sale Tech Support Follow-Up Review

After being pretty satisfied with Server4Sale, I ordered a couple more servers through them. One was pretty basic and the other high-end with a custom config.

Although I am still impressed with the speed of response, I am becoming more and more disappointed with the quality of response. It really feels to me that they do not have a well centralized and coordinated customer service system, but that it's a bunch of more independent techs grabbing a ticket and rushing to clear it as quickly as possible, making mistakes or cutting corners in their haste.

For example, it's always a good idea to periodically change the root password on your server. Of course, when you do, if LT is managing it, they need the new password. On like three tickets after changing the root password on my server, the first response was "we need the root password".

Now, on the first incident, that's understandable. But on the second two... no one bothered to write it down in my file for future reference??? It delays service.

On another issue, they had set up the MySQL server with no root password. So I installed one. Then I needed something done where they needed the MySQL password. I gave it to them, they said it didn't work. Thinking my memory might be failing, I gave them another I thought I could have used. It didn't work.

Rather than just rack my brain for what the password might be, I logged in via shell, tried the first password I gave them and it worked.

I replied back to the tech, Rafi, that the first password was good and wondered why he was wasting my time. He claimed it didn't work for him the first time, but passwords don't automagically change themselves. He must have cut and pasted the password with an extra space or character, or he was doing something else wrong. But rather than admit that he may have made a mistake, he was rude and defensive.

Last, when I got the 2 new servers, I cancelled one old one. It is not offline yet. Last week, they asked me to fill out a cancellation form for it, which I did immediately. Then this week, another tech writes to me and says they need me to fill out the cancellation form.

While they are eager to please and quick to respond, they seem somewhat disorganized and it feels like they rush too much so that details fall by the wayside.

So...

Speed of Response: A-
    Quality of Initial Response: C
    Quality of Eventual Response: B+

- Greg

that sounds BAD. have they really charged you for the old server all this time ? crap

how many servers do you have in total with them ? you make the impression that you have at least five ?
    please, bear with me. tell me when I'm wrong, I'm not doing it on purpose

No, they are not charging me. I'm just getting error messages because its IP no longer matches the DNS for the domain it was assigned. My main complaint is that they're asking me to do the same thing repeatedly to get it shut off.

I only have the current two live ones with them, plus the one I'm waiting to get shut off.

Ummm,

Just an opinion here. If you look at some of the horror stories posted in this forum, I think you might be a little happier with the guys you have.

But based on my exprience, it sounds like they are using an outsourced support company. In which case you are dealing with OVERWORKED Indians who probably make 300 US a month if they are lucky and do a 12 hour shift, 6 days a week.

Instead of playing the "Critical Master" how about a little kindness to these people. You might open up some doors there for additional attention to your boxes.

My two cents,

WM

WindowsMaster: I would love to hear that how did you come to that conclusion that we use OutSourced support???
    Server4Sale
    Dirt CHEAP Servers coming soon