OpenVZ on OVH servers

I have a dedicated server with kimsufi (ovh) and want to sell VPS's. I have a limited budget so am picking OpenVZ. I know people that have set up OpenVZ on OVH servers but can't remember how. I can never get the kernel to work so does anyone know how to set it up?

I don't mind what distro to use but I prefer CentOS 64bit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 0nijin View Post
    I have a dedicated server with kimsufi (ovh) and want to sell VPS's. I have a limited budget so am picking OpenVZ. I know people that have set up OpenVZ on OVH servers but can't remember how. I can never get the kernel to work so does anyone know how to set it up?

I don't mind what distro to use but I prefer CentOS 64bit.

Thanks
    Long and short is don't use their distros.
    http://forum.soluslabs.com/showthrea...Kimsufi-server
    UK Based Hosting Company
    HWS Hosting

http://www.hwshosting.net
    We aim to please, open a ticket at sales@hwshosting.net

Hello,

You can visit openvz.org to get the required kernels and steps to setup the vps. Its a good site and the explanation provided there is better. Also you can ask your DC to provide help on these.

Thank you.

It depends on what Software you are going to use for managing your VPS.

If am not mistaken, VePortal does the OpenVZ kernel for you.
    HSV Informatics Ltd - Since 2011
    Shared Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers

Quote Originally Posted by hertzwebsolutions View Post
    That is my WIP post and to this day I still have not had any luck getting this to work. As detailed in that thread, It seems to be hit and miss as to getting an OVH box that can support VMs. Now that OVH have introduced setup fees I don't feel so inclined to buy boxes just to keep testing - and their tech support leaves a lot to be desired.
    * www.valuevps.co.uk - Quality VPS's at affordable prices in the UK | Telephone: +44 (0)1325 586003
    * Full and part cabinets - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - cPanel Hosting - Windows VPS - DirectAdmin Hosting - Reseller Accounts

Quote Originally Posted by hertzwebsolutions View Post
    I did what it said, I got to step 8. When I use rdesktop to connect to it I get the following error:

oni@0ni-derp:~$ rdesktop -u root 94.23.41.181:1
    Autoselected keyboard map en-gb
    ERROR: 94.23.41.181: unable to connect

Any ideas? I can't SSH into the box anymore either

Quote Originally Posted by 0nijin View Post
    I did what it said, I got to step 8. When I use rdesktop to connect to it I get the following error:

oni@0ni-derp:~$ rdesktop -u root 94.23.41.181:1
    Autoselected keyboard map en-gb
    ERROR: 94.23.41.181: unable to connect

Any ideas? I can't SSH into the box anymore either
    Honestly, I would have thought your best bet would be re-install the OS and try again unfortunately.
    Ben Thomas, Director - BTCentral Web Development Services
    http://www.btcentral.org.uk - Need a custom Web App? Visit us online.

The exact same thing would happen if I just "tried again". I need to know how to do it properly...

If you can't access it via SSH or rdesktop after following the instructions, I would have thought the most likely reason would be that it is not actually loading the Kernel.

Edit: Also, take a look at the troubleshooting tips here (while the forum is Italian, the thread is in English.
    Last edited by BTCentral - Ben; 01-14-2010 at 04:06 PM.
    Ben Thomas, Director - BTCentral Web Development Services
    http://www.btcentral.org.uk - Need a custom Web App? Visit us online.

Reboot in OVH rescue console if you cannot access through SSH and check your grub.conf to make sure you have the openvz kernel set to boot.

vePortal is good and cheapest solutions

To date we have had no issues with OVH we even use it ourselves for some of our storage nodes.
    D.Woodvine

You can install a official unmodified version of CentOS on your OVH server and after that the OpenVZ kernel should work without any problems.Since I am not allowed to link to URLs in posts,google for "Centos remote install on OVH server".

It is still hit and miss if you can get a machine that will let you do this. As i said, i have machines with OVH, even using their own ProxMox template, some will work, some won't - you can scream at their techs til you are blue in the face - they will acknowledge a routing problem but they will not fix it.
    * www.valuevps.co.uk - Quality VPS's at affordable prices in the UK | Telephone: +44 (0)1325 586003
    * Full and part cabinets - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - cPanel Hosting - Windows VPS - DirectAdmin Hosting - Reseller Accounts

This is possible we done it But we done it with HyperVM + OpenVZ. How ever it is very hard to do it because ovh use their custom kernals 1 thing I can help you with is google installing CentOS over VNC or something like this

I don't know much info because I'm not much involved on the VPS creation part

have you set the sysctl parameters correctly?