Semi-managed VPS vs Fully managed VPS

Hi guys,

Is there a real difference between semi-managed and fully managed?
    Personnally, I think not because "fully managed" means fully managed to some extent, which is the same limit as semi-managed in most cases.

What do you think?

And BTW, what is the managed VPS host that offers the greatest management?

Semi-managed in my eyes means they will help you will some initial configuration and when you get stuck.

Fully-managed means they will help you install, configure, secure, and optimize your server.

Don't take my word for it though, every company has their own definition, it would be best to ask the company you are considering.

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx View Post
    every company has their own definition
    That's exactly why I think there can be no difference between semi-managed and fully-managed.

For example, I'm currently with FluidHosting and, although they claim they are only "semi-managed", they would do almost anything I ask, from application upgrade to securing ports.

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx View Post
    it would be best to ask the company you are considering.
    I'm not considering leaving FluidHosting but I'm curious to know if there are VPS hosts that are known for offering the maximum in server management. Maybe some forum members have first hand experience to share?

Here is how I view fully managed and semi managed:

My company "semi-manages" servers... What we consider to be semi-management is we are glad to help you whenever we can. We do the initial setup and if requested we will also initial server hardening free of charge... Whenever you need something, just let us know and our support team will do whatever we can to help you out... That is what I consider semi-management...

Now for fully managed... I believe if a server is fully managed, the host will automatically and pro actively take care of everything... From security, to updates, anything... they monitor the server 24/7/365... Basically the same as if you had a shared account, but instead its just you on the server.

So basically... I consider semi-management to be based upon requests, but full management to be proactive...
    Daniel | Server Complete, LLC
    INSTANTLY DEPLOYED Bare Metal Servers
    Wholly owned hardware and self operated network (AS19531) in Jacksonville, FL

I think semi-managed means you have to ask to host to do something, and fully-managed means the host takes the initiative and performs the necessary tasks without being asked (preventative measures, maintenance, backup, etc...).
    If we do not plant knowledge when young, it will give us no shade when we are old.
    Lord Chesterfield

I was actually looking at some hosts site earlier and the semi-managed servers offered root access and the fully managed did not offer root access...

Kind of a weird way of doing it, but it varies from host to host!
    Daniel | Server Complete, LLC
    INSTANTLY DEPLOYED Bare Metal Servers
    Wholly owned hardware and self operated network (AS19531) in Jacksonville, FL

Quote Originally Posted by sleidia View Post
    That's exactly why I think there can be no difference between semi-managed and fully-managed.

For example, I'm currently with FluidHosting and, although they claim they are only "semi-managed", they would do almost anything I ask, from application upgrade to securing ports.

I'm not considering leaving FluidHosting but I'm curious to know if there are VPS hosts that are known for offering the maximum in server management. Maybe some forum members have first hand experience to share?
    It's happy to see other fluidvps user around here. If my memory not wrong, the semi-managed in fluidvps includes the most general applications install/upgrade and initial configuration. Any things beyond that, they may charge you for an administration fee.

For example. The last time I asked for help, they said it may need to charge me but ended up, they fixed the problem without pay.

Actually, you may not need to leave fluidvps because I have heard they are considering to roll out fully managed VPS plan. I've found my node is incredibly fast and they also answer all my tickets very fast.

I think 'fully managed' would mean that the provider is responsible for security, and installs and configures all software on the server.

This would mean that the customer did NOT have root access to the server, as they wouldn't need it. Giving a non-technical customer root access makes it impossible to take responsibility for securing the server.

Semi-managed is just a helping hand, but the customer can shoot themselves in the foot if they try hard enough. This is what most people are looking for when they ask for 'managed'.
    VPSVille.com
    Toronto, London, Dallas, Los Angeles
    Quality VPS hosting on Premium bandwidth

Based on positive review posts on WHT I signed up with FluidHosting a couple weeks ago but was concerned that I might need fully managed services instead of their "semi-managed" offerings. This was my first VPS and I was not sure if managing it was beyond my skills. I have to say that the set up and response from support was flawless and I am very happy with the decision. Thank you WHT!

To the question at hand; if you try to keep up on noticing when update versions are available for your main service programs, and do not push the limits much, a semi-managed server might be the right amount of hand-holding....as long as you are prepared to ask for the work to be done. If you seek to divorce yourself from bothering with or keeping tabs on your server, look for a fully managed server.

Compared to my other shared account with a large H-sphere cluster, a reseller account used only for a few small sites and web development, the difference in performance and reliability is night and day. Two thumbs up for Fluidhosting.

My new semi-managed VPS has been much more reliable, faster and less hassle than the fully managed reseller account with another hosting company. I will probably keep the old account solely because that host refuses to refund my 2 years prepaid remaining time on my contract if I cancel.

It will be good if Hosting company were more specific in their offerings