Thread: Random Tips

Random Tips

This are not really important, but just something to think about when setting stuff up.

1.) When you setup a paypal account, avoid using sales or support for the paypal login. I say this because once you setup a help desk with a piping feature, all the emails saying "subscription has been created", "payment made" ... etc, will all be piped into your help desk. That help desk created by paypal at 6AM is a bit annoying, you know what I mean?

2.) Remember what you setup on one server, and do it on the rest. There's been several times where I have promised a specific user a certain feature, but only set it up on the one server they're located on. Once you move the user to another server, as you grow, or as they grow, they'll want that feature to still be there. This also goes for tweaking specific features, such as the mod_security scripts, mod_evasive, or your FTP Server, since some have a file limit as to how many will be displayed by default.

3.) Your email address; as the CEO, contacting you should be rather easy. I liked to go with the terry.myers@suckitspammer.com. But, sometimes users will forget that period. Setup a forwarder, make it easier for the client.

Those are pretty good tips. When we used PayPal we had it piped to our main support queue, but it kinda made things easier so we could track our payments.
    | ServerHub | an INC 500 Company | Enterprise Dedicated and Cloud Solutions Built for Scale |
    | AS62904: Dallas TX, Chicago IL, New York NY, Seattle WA, Phoenix AZ, Los Angeles CA, Miami FL | AS49532: Frankfurt DE, Amsterdam NL | sales@serverhub.com |

Quote Originally Posted by infinitienet View Post
    Those are pretty good tips. When we used PayPal we had it piped to our main support queue, but it kinda made things easier so we could track our payments.
    Whmcs will do it for u: )
    Andrew Anderson
    Sales Manager
    NerdyHost.com

Quote Originally Posted by inogenius View Post
    2.) Remember what you setup on one server, and do it on the rest. There's been several times where I have promised a specific user a certain feature, but only set it up on the one server they're located on. Once you move the user to another server, as you grow, or as they grow, they'll want that feature to still be there. This also goes for tweaking specific features, such as the mod_security scripts, mod_evasive, or your FTP Server, since some have a file limit as to how many will be displayed by default.
    Very important to remember. Maybe even write it down. As you grow, you want that uniformity from server to server.

Thanks for the tips

Your a good man!

1.) When you setup a paypal account, avoid using sales or support for the paypal login. I say this because once you setup a help desk with a piping feature, all the emails saying "subscription has been created", "payment made" ... etc, will all be piped into your help desk. That help desk created by paypal at 6AM is a bit annoying, you know what I mean?
    We tend to use paypal@ Then have our own system send us an email to the support mail when the payment has been confirmed by the paypal API.

Quote Originally Posted by inogenius View Post
    2.) Remember what you setup on one server, and do it on the rest.
    I'll second that, and add that this also gives you a checklist to refer to when you upgrade or reconfigure a server. I can't count the number of times I've had to request that certain features be turned back on after a server upgrade.

nice advice. Is whmcs really that good. I can see everyone has it, but is it worth $15/month?

Good advice. Thanks.

It might sound simple but it is definitely something that needs to be kept in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by rsanek View Post
    nice advice. Is whmcs really that good. I can see everyone has it, but is it worth $15/month?
    It comes free with many reseller plans...But yes, it is definitely worth much more than $15 a month

whmcs is invaluable

WHMCS can do everything for you automatically, its simple and easy either you get it free from some of the resellers, or you buy it at $15

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonServers View Post
    WHMCS can do everything for you automatically, its simple and easy either you get it free from some of the resellers, or you buy it at $15
    I second that, life would be alot harder without such scripts.

And nice tips there, bit basic but is a help to some.

Whoa...great advices! Thank you!

Thanks alot, Great Tips

Nice tips, many newbies might miss these types of things

Good tips. For payments email you can use websales@, payments@ or paypal@.
    PlotHost - Secure Web Hosting Plans - Since 2008
    Shared and Reseller Plans | 24x7 Technical Support

Good tips. Thanks.

I've been caught out by the paypal one a few times, it's especially annoying when it goes to my phone...

Thank you for the tips IGobyTerry, sharing your experiences is always beneficial to others.