Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by akashd

I do! I do!

Back in the day, when NameZero actually gave their promised free domain names (Yes I actually ended up getting one) I thought about getting my name.com so I used their whois utility and found it available. According to their rules I could only have 1 free domain, so i registered my other URL with them and figured I'll get myname.com through someone else a little later.

Well guess what? exactly 4 days after I used their whois utility, my name.com was registered by none other than idirections(their parent company). No i have to wait until june of this year to register it myself because the company wants $60 to give it to me....that is cybersquatting, isn't it?
    What sounds quite familiar... it happened to me too.

umm... suggestion:

go here: http://www.domainsnext.com and transfer your domain to yourself. No mess, no hassle. Then avoid namezero at all costs.

hope that info helps.

ochiba

First off you wont get the domain in your name until you upgrade to the plus membership. They have you in thier clutches. No biggie will cost you a little bit of money . Upgrade and then transfer the the domain to a different registar. Unless the bar is just the problem, then just upgrade and you can make it go away. I speak from expeirence.....been there, done that.

Originally posted by djlightning
    First off you wont get the domain in your name until you upgrade to the plus membership. They have you in thier clutches. No biggie will cost you a little bit of money . Upgrade and then transfer the the domain to a different registar. Unless the bar is just the problem, then just upgrade and you can make it go away. I speak from expeirence.....been there, done that.
    The incident I spoke about happened a while back... I simply ended up grabbing the .net version of the domain instead and use an alternate registrar now.

Dotster.com only charges $12/year for domain registrations. That's who I use to register all of my domains.

I've been using Joker.com for years now, and never had any issues. Great registrar if you ask me.
    Hostit365.com - Reliable Web Hosting with magical support
    cPanel #1 Web Hosting Control Panel Included
    WHT members benefit from our industry leading 60 day money back guarantee with no small print
    Now accepting PayPal™ - Click here to order now

Not only do you have to upgrade to the Plus package, but you also have to wait 60days before you can transfer out!

Here is the info right off the namezero site:

Q: If I decide to transfer my domain, what do I need to do?

A: Because Namezero offers such a wide range of services, most Namezero members will never consider transferring their domain name to another registrar. However, Namezero understands that some members may have reasons for wanting to change registrars at some juncture, and we are happy to assist you with your transfer. To transfer registrars, you must be a Plus member. This means that if you are currently a member of the free service, you will need to upgrade online.
    Upgrading your domain can be done from the Namezero control panel at any time. In the process of upgrading your domain, you must also update the "whois" record found on the "offers" page in the control panel to list yourself as the administrative contact for the domain name. Once you are listed as the administrative contact, you can make an electronic request from your new domain host and they will e-mail you to authorize the transfer of registrars.

Please Note: If the domain name has been registered less than 60 days, there is a sixty day waiting period during which the original registrar is unable to perform any transfers of the domain name. Namezero follows this procedure to protect your domain name(s). We cannot authorize any online transfers sent directly to
    us by other domain hosts.

If you need additional assistance or information, please see the Namezero help section, mail the Plus Support Team using the dedicated form in the Help section, or call the Plus Support telephone line. The number is found in the control panel of your Plus domain.

The 60 day wait is actually an Registry restriction, and no one can transfer from any registrar within that window.

-t
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net

i used namezero about a year ago durring there 19.90 buy 1 domain get a 2nd free special
    and transfering out was a horror

i used www.verycheapdomains.com

took about 1 week but all i did was enter a transfer to them from verycheap domains and was pretty easy to get out of namezero

i will never use them again it was horrible

I am getting ready to transfer some domains away from NameZero and you people are scaring me!

Here's hoping I get lucky and get away from them once and for all!

My transfer took about 2 weeks to go thru. Mentioned earlyer in the thread. dotster.com is they way I went for the transfer. Took about 3 days to get all the little emails completed and the rest was on Namezero's end. But I did email namezero and asked them first about their side of a transfer process. If you have the domain in your name ( meaning you have Plus Membership ) you can email them and tell them that you want to point it to another nameserver(s) and give them the nameserver(s) address. Being that they are your registar, they are obligated to comply with your request. I did not go this route, but this is what they told me.

Why not use register.com?

I am completely green and more than a bit confused. Why wouldn't you use register.com for registering a domain name?

You could use register.com, if you wanted to pay $35/yr. for some thing you could get for $9-$15 anywhere else. Personally, I'd save yourself a bit of money and ask for suggestions (or search the forum, as it has been discussed before).
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

I used Godaddy.com, great support and domains are only $9.95/year!

Concensus on domain registerars

What is the concensus on domain resgistration providers? apparently, register.com is a rip off at $35/year. What does everyone recommend? I have read many of the posts, but I cannot figure out which provider is winning.

I have chriswalsh.cc registered at namezero - cost me $10 so I thought is want too bad. Trouble is, they want someting like $30 to renew it and I dont know any other company that does .cc

Anyways, for my .com and .net s, I use www.powerpipe.com at $8.88/year - I've been using them a couple years now and the first trouble I've ever had with them was this last weekend (theres another post on this) but I'm sure it will be resolved quickly
    -Chris
    "There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Unhappy

Not mentioning that my credit card number got stolen and there was a $1400 charge put on it - right after I submitted my credit card number to Namezero Strange, ah?

Originally posted by Chiessa
    I'm sorry there is no way that you could have that domain unless you deal with them, since to the registrar, the guy is the real legal owner of that domain. If you decide to register another domain yourself, there's a cheaper place called Joker (http://www.joker.com) which charges only Euro 12 (slightly less than US$12) per year for a domain.
    NameZero = NetworkSolutions = VeriSign = rip off
    I once ordered a domain from them and did not get it + it was charged TWICE too. After complaining it got charged TWICE again! After calling the FBI in Washington - USA, wasting a lot of phone units talking with an agent from the Internet Fraud Department which could not help me much though, I decided to shut down my credit card realizing that they are REAL CRIMINALS!

Don't use joker.com, they are totally inflexible, demanding WRITTEN mail snet to them to carry out orders. I used them, almost went nuts and then switched to dotdealers.com who are higly flexible and forthcoming. And they are only 1$ more expensive then the cheapest on the net (namecheap.com) but their flexibility is REALLY worth it! I have about 70 domains with them (!).

Regards

ShareFile raises a good point, we're talking about a range of a few dollars between registrars. You gotta do a decent volume to really see a price difference between $9-$13 per domain, so if you find a registrar you like, it might be foolish to chase one that saves you $0.43 :-)

I am a happy customer of Joker.com though. Used them for two years and I have needed their email support twice in that time. I always got an answer in a day or two, which for a registrar is good enough for me. However, there is no doubt their interface just.... feels "bad" until you get used to it. Also they do seem to be the strict type, probably not very flexible.
    Adam
    GetWebSpace.com
    Personal Life Timed Out Due To Inactivity

I always use selectmydomain.com

Well... I've got my fingers crossed at the moment.

I initiated the transfer of a domain from Namezero to Namecheap last night... still haven't gotten any correspondence other than a Namecheap receipt

Fingers crossed here as well. I initiated a transfer from NameZero to StarGate. I received approval from Network Solutions, but i have yet to hear a peep from NameZero. I am hoping the authorization from NetSol is all I need...

All right, my transfer from NameZero to Stargate completed today. Apparently the authorization from NetSol was all I needed as I didn't hear anything from NameZero at all.

*Happy Happy*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12