Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2027282930
    Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl View Post
    One factor missing is the bandwidth - I don't know how much he was getting. If I want 99.0% uptime from network and hardware, let's get real here:
    • $35-$50/mbit (~330 GB) (BGP4 with 3-4 decent providers in the mix. No, $7/mbit single-carrier is not acceptable for basic usability.)
    • 1 amp @ ~$20/amp (PDUs, reboot switches)
    • $20/mth for human overhead with a large server volume (hardware swaps, management portal cost, etc.)
    So we're at $75-$90/mth without the actual server. Forget how oversold the bandwidth is.( 2000 GB/mth on a < $100 server?!? )

I maintain that people don't realize what the real cost of the basics are.

Kind Regards,
    Bandwidth isn't quite that expensive when you're getting any sort of decent commit levels. There was a topic where steadfast and fdcservers were talking about getting level3 for $5 - $6/mbit. If you commit large amounts (like i'm sure LT has).

Being in Texas, power is a lot cheaper than in say, Chicago. You're paying more like $200 for 20A, I know alphared was like $250 for 20A more and that was still marked up as far as I could tell. If they are smart about their hardware purchases, they can save a ton on power by not sending those bloody P4's back out onto the selling floor - those things eat power like it was free.

LT didn't even give reboot switches to most of their boxes, even though people paid for them anyways in the first rise in costs.

Thanks,

~Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by elmister View Post
    East4serv, is Burst fast or slow with server deployments?
    server deployments fast in Burst
    I advise you to deal with it
    I did not see faster than technical support there
    Faster than the company much layeredtech
    The excellent prices
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaAnime View Post
    Bandwidth isn't quite that expensive when you're getting any sort of decent commit levels. There was a topic where steadfast and fdcservers were talking about getting level3 for $5 - $6/mbit. If you commit large amounts (like i'm sure LT has).
    As I said, the single-digit numbers are not relevant or acceptable. Forget large commits - been there, done that. The only way you get them is with long-term contracts, and that is NOT something you want with a provider. Our upstream carries monthly contracts with all of our providers. Why? Because every time we've been in a long-term contract they think it's a license to provide piss-poor service. Having monthly contracts raises the price some, but the leverage and higher quality of service it gives us is more then worth it to our clients.

"What, your fiber is down? Where are you calling from? You're not even on our map..."

3-days later the link is back up.

Regards,
      0 Not allowed!

Best of luck to everyone impacted.

</thread>

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2027282930