View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    By the way, thank you for the long-awaited return of the premium membership. Just signed up.

I'm in it for two things: the much needed larger PM box and supporting WHT (of course).

Thanks!
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Bringing you PicResize.com (More than 95 million pictures resized since 2005)

Smile

What's the point that the premium forums show up when we, non-membership members, cannot read or post there?

I am thinking that the guests would find it very strange. I was not logged in and I was like WHAT?!?!
    Last edited by YUPAPA; 12-15-2006 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPAPA
    What's the point that the premium forums show up when we, non-membership members, cannot read or post there?

I am thinking that the guests would find it very strange. I was not logged in and I was like WHAT?!?!
    I think there will soon be a "Premium" link somewhere in the header.

The Premium Forums show up so that, I am assuming, people who aren't Premium can still see what sort of stuff goes on in there.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Nich
    . . . I'm in it for two things: the much needed larger PM box and supporting WHT (of course).
    If you can't get by with 200 PM size, there's something wrong. And we support WHT by participating here, not by buying Premium Memberships.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    If you can't get by with 200 PM size, there's something wrong. And we support WHT by participating here, not by buying Premium Memberships.
    I kinda like the idea of the t-shirt though.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by linuxcares
    What are the values you expecting for a Premium membership?
    If they promise to send things like mouse pads and T-shirts, then they better damn well do it. Lots of folks have complained that they never received those promised items, and WHT's new owners still need to keep that promise.

I thought I knew what WHT was about... but now I think I might be a little confused.

I thought WHT's main focus was to help Webmasters who want to discuss Web Hosting and other Web Related topics. Obviously us hosts get some benefit from these forums as well... but that's besides the point.

Many people who visit here are just that... a Web Master and not a Web Host.

Now even these Webmasters are initially forced to see the Premium Member forums... which focus mainly on content for Web Hosts. So in other words, these Webmasters have to scroll past a bunch of forums that are absolutely worthless to them.

Of course there is a way to minimize these, but if I hadn't read this thread... I wouldn't of known how.

In my opinion, the Premium Forums should move down, which would better serve the Webmasters visiting this site.
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

They're where they've always been. But now that they're viewable by everyone, we might have to look at moving them down. Thank for the suggestion.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue
    They're where they've always been. But now that they're viewable by everyone, we might have to look at moving them down. Thank for the suggestion.
    Yeah, considering 60% of WHT traffic is non WHT members, those Premium member forums are downright embarrasing. That's the first impression new WHT visitors get from WHT, and that's not the image WHT should be projecting.

Also non WHT members won't be able to read or post there anyways, so I don't see the point in displaying them to non WHT members.

Also non WHT members won't be able to read or post there anyways, so I don't see the point in displaying them to non WHT members.
    I agree. Why can't we just list the Premium Members forums on the premium.php page? I think that would be better than allowing everybody to view the forums, but not the threads inside.

Alex

Umm are you kidding me? I conduct business through WHT (solely buying servers, advertisements, domains, and web sites) and I'm not even in the hosting business. I regularly download my PMs to an excel file and still fill my PM box. I am sure there are many people who have been awaiting the chance to expand their PM box size.

Also Bob, believe it or not, your sub-20,000 post count can only go so far and is not directly responsible for paying WHT bills. Sure you can say members support the community by posting (I completely agree), but for someone as busy as myself (who can't afford to be here all the time)--I'm more than happy to financially support WHT.
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Will there be any discount for advertisers? I was looking forward to seeing the new features but am disappointed with what it finally is.
    SupportPal - Smart self-hosted help desk software
    Supporting multiple channels, including Twitter and Facebook. WHMCS integration available.
    LicensePal - Discounted popular web hosting software licenses
    cPanel, InterWorx, SolusVM, CloudLinux, Blesta, Softaculous, Installatron, and much more!

Also Bob, believe it or not, your sub-20,000 post count can only go so far and is not directly responsible for paying WHT bills. Sure you can say members support the community by posting (I completely agree), but for someone as busy as myself (who can't afford to be here all the time)--I'm more than happy to financially support WHT.
    I might respectfully dissagree. Bob has contributed to WHT quite a lot, financially.
    Look, to make at least 1 post, you need to make at least 5 page views on this site, which means Bob has been responsible for at least 20,000 * 5 = 100,000 page views. If WHT sells their ad spot with an average of $5 CPM (assumption), then Bob has generated iNet 100,000 * $5 CPM = $500 cash per banner location. How many do we have here? 3. Equals at least $1,500.

Plus, he increases activity.
    In addition, he is an asset to this community, which carries monetary value by itself.

You can probably match the same by pre-paying for premium membership for 30-year term.

Best,
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

Premium Membership

Just getting rid of that Poll: notice in the other thread.

/edit

Or not.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Please move the premium forums down the page.

Quote Originally Posted by Artashes
    I might respectfully dissagree. Bob has contributed to WHT quite a lot, financially.
    Look, to make at least 1 post, you need to make at least 5 page views on this site, which means Bob has been responsible for at least 20,000 * 5 = 100,000 page views. If WHT sells their ad spot with an average of $5 CPM (assumption), then Bob has generated iNet 100,000 * $5 CPM = $500 cash per banner location. How many do we have here? 3. Equals at least $1,500.
    Hi Artashes,

Sheesh I follow you...however, if we're going to get that detailed, we can branch into iNet's advertising and marketing devision. I highly wonder if iNet actually wants Bob to view 100,000 impressions without a single click. Sure, iNet pockets the money but in order for advertisers to return, they'll want to see some results and ROI.

And yes, advertising is for brand awareness too. However, most of these ads are trying to convert sales. I wonder if $1,500 is worth even a single sale to just Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Artashes
    Plus, he increases activity.
    In addition, he is an asset to this community, which carries monetary value by itself.
    That's in the eye-of-the-beholder. I'm sure if Bob left the community (which I hope he does not), I bet the owners of iNet wouldn't blink twice nor hold thier breath. We've all seen this happen before--beloved members come and go (i.e. Chicken?)
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Also Bob, believe it or not, your sub-20,000 post count can only go so far and is not directly responsible for paying WHT bills.
    Wrong, dead wrong. You're so far off the mark there. I'm sure I've counted towards millions of page views, since 2001, with my own browsing and interaction of others. It's a figure that can't be quantified, but it would be huge, and it all contributes to being "directly responsible for paying WHT bills".

. . . I highly wonder if iNet actually wants Bob to view 100,000 impressions without a single click. Sure, iNet pockets the money but in order for advertisers to return, they'll want to see some results and ROI.
    INET charge their advertisers with the CPM model and not the PPC model. It doesn't matter how many clickthrus their banners generate - INET still charge the same.
    I'm sure if Bob left the community (which I hope he does not), I bet the owners of iNet wouldn't blink twice nor hold thier breath.
    Noone said they would. They wouldn't worry if I stopped participating here, and that's not the issue. There might be a couple of thousand banner views less each mth, but that's about it. The issue is that participation is how we support the WHT model, not buying Premium Memberships, which sounds like a part charitable donation to a for profit corporation.

Wrong, dead wrong. You're so far off the mark there. I'm sure I've counted towards millions of page views, since 2001, with my own browsing and interaction of others. It's a figure that can't be quantified, but it would be huge, and it all contributes to being "directly responsible for paying WHT bills".
    Are we talking about directly posting here OR pageviews? Your contribution pageview-wise would be a blip gone unnoticed as you seem to be forgetting about all the guests who read but never post, and people like me who read but don't post as often. If we're talking pure pageviews, we're contributing greatly.

Regardless, why exactly again am I being condemned by you for having financially supported WHT with a premium membership? Just because I would like the convenience of having a larger PM box...something must surely be wrong in the eyes of Bob, right?
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

The issue is that participation is how we support the WHT model, not buying Premium Memberships, which sounds like a part charitable donation to a for profit corporation.
    Please don't speak for anyone else. Participation here is how YOU support the WHT model. Others may and may not too.

In addition to participation like you, I and others choose to support WHT via a premium membership. If you don't agree, that's fine--but no need to speak on behalf of the entire community and make it sound like no one else supports premium memberships.
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

. . . Regardless, why exactly again am I being condemned by you for having financially supported WHT with a premium membership?
    Calm down now noone's condemning you. I and Artashes disgreed with you when you said -
    Also Bob, believe it or not, your sub-20,000 post count can only go so far and is not directly responsible for paying WHT bills.

Not worth renewing for me.

- I've got 4 tshirts
    - The premium member forums are dead
    - The premium member bar isn't worth $50/year
    Big things coming soon

If they promise to send things like mouse pads and T-shirts, then they better damn well do it. Lots of folks have complained that they never received those promised items, and WHT's new owners still need to keep that promise.
    Most people who complained about not receiving T-shirts and mouse pads with their Premium memberships didn't realize that these items came only with annual memberships, and they were signed up for memberships for shorter terms. And shipping items to various parts of the world can take a long time.

The issue is that participation is how we support the WHT model, not buying Premium Memberships, which sounds like a part charitable donation to a for profit corporation.
    You can look at it as a charitable donation if you want, but are you speaking from first-hand experience?

iNET doesn't make anyone buy Premium memberships. But a number of people want them, for their own reasons. When we weren't accepting new Premium memberships for a while, we regularly had people asking about them in the forum, on the helpdesk, and by contacting iNET directly. We have brought them back by popular demand.

Like everyone, I'm more interested in some aspects of WHT and less interested in others. But I don't put down the parts I'm less interested in. We all have our different preferences, so why don't we let everyone enjoy what they want?

Lois
    "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." – Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by writespeak
    Most people who complained about not receiving T-shirts and mouse pads with their Premium memberships didn't realize that these items came only with annual memberships, and they were signed up for memberships for shorter terms. And shipping items to various parts of the world can take a long time.

Lois
    Yep, I've still got my orange mousepaid from WHT and the Chicken shirt as well

Glad the premium membership is back, really though for those that see problems with it, I think the 1000 Limit for PM Box alone is worth the $50/year not to mention the t-shirt.

Cheers
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Quote Originally Posted by writespeak
    Like everyone, I'm more interested in some aspects of WHT and less interested in others. But I don't put down the parts I'm less interested in. We all have our different preferences, so why don't we let everyone enjoy what they want?
    I completely agree--thanks Lois for putting my thoughts into nicer words.

Bob, you don't have to tell me to calm down--I'm already calm. You stirred the pot with the first instigating post quoted directly above. I just noticed now with your first post and I love how you speak on behalf of the community when you keep saying "we". </sarcasm>

Like I said before, it's easy for you to say that you support WHT by participating (this coming from one of the highest posters on WHT). I respect that (I find value in your posts and I appreciate you posting here, don't get me wrong), it's fine. However, I don't mind supporting WHT through other means. I see the Premium memberships as a means of additional support. I'll leave it at that.
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast