Question

On my old host I had a couple hundred domain names all pointing to one location. The index.* file at that location used SERVER_NAME to see what domain was being requested and then served the correct pages. I want to do that here, too.

I tried setting Domain123 to point to my IP in the Tera-Byte DNS Control Panel, and did NOT create a virtual site. This almost worked -- when you type Domain123 into the browser you end up at the page for my IP, _but_ SERVER_NAME shows my main site, not Domain123.

Is there a way to do what I want? Thanks for _any_ help you can give me. I have to be off my other server by the end of the month.

Oh, the hardware is a RaQ3 running Apache.

Welcome Jennings, this might be better off in the Cobalt Forum, but if I understand correctly, you:

Lease a RaQ3 with one IP.

You went into the DNS manager and made an entry for 'Domain123' to point to the server IP and all the server did was return the site that is set to that IP address (in this case it seems to be the server name).

The RaQ will rewrite the request and return what is set up on the server (if I'm not mistaken). it is part of its rewrite rules. If you don't tell the server to do someting other than this (either by setting up a script, or better a site on the server), it is going to return the site name.

This is pretty much how it works for any site that you point to an IP address that is set up on the server. It will rewrite the URL.

Check user Cobalt user-archives for specific methods of changing the rewrite rule on the server.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken