Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IRCCo Jeff
    I feel requiring Premium to post advertisements is actually a decent idea.
    Not terribly bad thought........ but what if your market research comes back and shows that 70% of the forums membership posts offers on a regular basis? Then what do you do, have everyone become a premium member?

Again, something like that has the danger of distroying the delicate balance of things. I still cannot visualize a tanable benefit that works, other than creating some soft of recognition system.
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability
      0 Not allowed!

I have an idea... I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned yet, but for the advertising forums, you know you have to have at least 7 posts to advertise right? Well how about, for someone to advertise again the next week, they have to post 7 (or more) posts, not in the advertising section, to make another thread in the advertising forums, so this way, they will be more active, as well and the forum will too, be more active.
    Ryan Smith
      0 Not allowed!

Please bring back premium memberships, even make it a "I support WHT!" or something. I would love to contribute to this forum. Since I have been here I have learnt SO much more then I ever could have expected. This is the best forum I have been a part of and am so thankful for finding it. If there is premium membership I would gladly have it just to be able to support a place I love..
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PSFServers
    Right, premium members should earn their memberships, not simply buy them.
    And how would you suggest one "earn their memberships"?

By spamming a lot and posting worthless junk to reach the "x" amount of posts minimum? Or how about having a poll so the majority of kids here can vote their buddies in?

My understanding of the premium membership was to help support WHT a bit. Heck $40 a quarter aint much for the level of entertainment some of the posts bring about.

I quote something Roy@ENHOST said a year and a half ago and I believe it still holds true.

I am not a premium member but I think the best thing about the Premium membership is credibility.

Kiddie hosts can't spend their 'ice cream' money on premium memberships so it effectively weeds them out. Only those who are sure and positive about hosting are willing to make the investment.

Just my 50 cents.
    However I should also quote Ryan Elledge too.

1) Premium Memberships to become WHT Sponsorships
    We never intended to give the impression that a “Premium Member” is superior or better than any other member. One of the most important things a Premium Member is doing is sponsoring WHT, which helps fund new WHT enhancements. As such, we will be changing the name and how this program is promoted. We will be replacing the Premium Member Bar with another method of indicating those members which are sponsoring WHT. Going forward, WHT Sponsors will continue to enjoy the same features as currently advertised.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jmweb
    And how would you suggest one "earn their memberships"?

By spamming a lot and posting worthless junk to reach the "x" amount of posts minimum? Or how about having a poll so the majority of kids here can vote their buddies in?

My understanding of the premium membership was to help support WHT a bit. Heck $40 a quarter aint much for the level of entertainment some of the posts bring about.

I quote something Roy@ENHOST said a year and a half ago and I believe it still holds true.

However I should also quote Ryan Elledge too.
    Well, if Elledge has if all figured out, then I mistook this thread as wanting creative input.

This website is a commercial website that generates income from advertising dollars. There is no arguing that this is a for-profit business venture where thousands of dollars change hands monthly. My contribution is through the written word, while others feel an obligation to contribute through the written check.

How much is (was) it to buy one of those premium member logo's, anyway? How many premium members are there?
      0 Not allowed!

Well, if Elledge has if all figured out, then I mistook this thread as wanting creative input.

This website is a commercial website that generates income from advertising dollars. There is no arguing that this is a for-profit business venture where thousands of dollars change hands monthly. My contribution is through the written word, while others feel an obligation to contribute through the written check.

How much is (was) it to buy one of those premium member logo's, anyway? How many premium members are there?
    Try thousands change daily.
      0 Not allowed!

Right, premium members should earn their memberships, not simply buy them.
    Remember, WHT is a commercial venture and at the end of the day is here to turn over a profit - and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

Those of us that do not purchase those premium memberships currently view you as "that fat rich kid that can't make friends any other way".
    Maybe you do, but I am not shallow and always look at the positives of people I think 'wow, they support WHT financially'.

Quote Originally Posted by SSX Host
    I have an idea... I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned yet, but for the advertising forums, you know you have to have at least 7 posts to advertise right? Well how about, for someone to advertise again the next week, they have to post 7 (or more) posts, not in the advertising section, to make another thread in the advertising forums, so this way, they will be more active, as well and the forum will too, be more active.
    That is the worst idea I have ever heard, and yes it has been brought up before. All this would result in is spam.
      0 Not allowed!

Hey, I never said it was a good idea
    Ryan Smith
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SSX Host
    Hey, I never said it was a good idea
    True, although you gave the impression that you liked it.
      0 Not allowed!

Ok, who's going to implement these proposed changes to the ad forums?
    What changes to the ad forums? This thread isn't for "changes to the ad forums", it's for changes to premium membership, there is a big difference. It's amazing how quickly people throw things off topic here

I feel requiring Premium to post advertisements is actually a decent idea.
    Actually, it's not. If you look at the mechanics of it, you see why it works, on any level.

When you post (or make) any advertisement, you're required to pay for it. The only exception? The internet. Why? Because the internet is cluttered and littered with freebies and forums that offer "free advertisement".

The idea here is to move this specific type of forum into a "sponsor only" (let's call it sponsors for now) new thread forum. NOT posts , because threads should be able to be replied to quite easily, but new threads. Maybe (maybe) not even ALL forums, as there are a few (domains, etc) that don't warrant it.

Now, that said, of course they'd have to raise the price off "sponsor membership" (again, going with sponsors for now , instead of "premium" ), to maybe $150-$200 / yr. Is that reasonable? Yes, for a site with this much traffic, and this much of a base, you'd better believe it.

As far as the rest:
    I don't see how offering special priviledges (avatars, signatures, warning points (like we need more of those)) does anything but create dissention in the ranks. I can see the advertisement forums on the level of a consumer, and the level of a provider, as well as a basic and (possibly) supporting member.

At the end of the day, most of us run a business that generates profit off of WHT, somehow, some way. If we had to pay to actually make the ads most of us do, yes, we'd be paying more (and yeah, I'm including myself in there, because I've made a few more ads recently than usual ). This would also somewhat deter the "I'm here only to post an advertisement" attitude that is seen among a LOT of the users posting ads, and might just get them to become a little more involved with the community.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech
    What changes to the ad forums? This thread isn't for "changes to the ad forums", it's for changes to premium membership, there is a big difference. It's amazing how quickly people throw things off topic here
    Of course having folks paying for placing ads in the ad forums is a HUUUGE change to how the ad forums function and are administrated. They'd have to introduce some type of automated system, that collects the payment, and allows the member to post their ad.

Do try and keep up.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

Not terribly bad thought........ but what if your market research comes back and shows that 70% of the forums membership posts offers on a regular basis? Then what do you do, have everyone become a premium member?

Again, something like that has the danger of distroying the delicate balance of things. I still cannot visualize a tanable benefit that works, other than creating some soft of recognition system.
    That is exactally the problem. You have a lot of fly by night type providers posting freebie ads where a premium requirement would hedge this and make the more established provider's advertisements more visible.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by IRCCo Jeff
    That is exactally the problem. You have a lot of fly by night type providers posting freebie ads where a premium requirement would hedge this and make the more established provider's advertisements more visible.
    Weren't a heap of hosts once "fly by night" hosts? Some now even fly by day
      0 Not allowed!

Without reading thru all the other threads:

1. Lose the t-shirt - y'all lost mine
    2. The extra forums - possibly maybe revamp them.
    3. Maybe lose that 90 second re-posting rule. Heck I'd pay for to get rid of that annoying thing - can I help it if I type fast?? LOL
    4. The PMs were never of use - I hate doing business over PMs - I think that is very unprofessional. Having to keep coming back to the forum just to answer something.
    5. Maybe an extra link in the signature, or possibly two ads running instead of just one?
    6. Faster support response from iNet when there is a problem with something on their end?
    7. The advertising discount is a nice feature.

There are hundreds of things to do with this type of forum / membership and the other domains that are owned by iNet. Take a look at DNForums as well - what they fofer for their membership is pretty good.
      0 Not allowed!

6. Faster support response from iNet when there is a problem with something on their end?
    Should you have to pay for that?
      0 Not allowed!

I'll be honest -- much of the reason for my WHT Premium Membership subscritption is the bar that says "Premium Member." Potential customers look at that and do see that these types of members are possibly good providers which support WHT and contribute to the community. Changing the name to "Supporting Member" would do little good. If a user thinks that the Premium Member bar signifies that a user is better than they or other non-premium members are, they obviously aren't that intelligent. Changing the name might cause me not to renew, *hint-hint*

I look forward to hearing more from iNet.

It might also be wise for iNet to post an official thread in the Premium Member forums to get some of our ideas free of all the non-premium member clutter.
    John Morris
    Warp-Factor Technologies - Shared, Reseller, VPS & Dedicated Hosting
    E-Mail: john[AT]warp-factor.net AIM: iiwebwizardii
      0 Not allowed!

It might also be wise for iNet to post an official thread in the Premium Member forums to get some of our ideas free of all the non-premium member clutter.
    Yeah, because Premium members are the only ones that count right?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech
    Yeah, because Premium members are the only ones that count right?
    No need to be so agressive ... it most certainly is not appreciated. I believe that iNet should appeal directly to those who are current subscribers of the Premium membership and ask those of us who have supported it as it currently is what we would like to see the service turn into. As of this moment, the Premium members are the customer -- non-premium members aren't, and I don't think their views should be weighted as highly as those who aren't current subscribers. iNet would be wise to listen to the people who are actually subscribing to the service ... not those who just want to butt in and regulate what we, the ones who pay, receive from the program. If that means that I think that those who are current Premium members are the only ones who count, then feel free to take it that way. Many of the folks that want to change what we get aren't subscribed, weren't ever subscribed, and most likely won't subscribe even if changes are implemented. Lets focus on those who are currently subscribed to the service and see want they/we want. Have a good one.
    John Morris
    Warp-Factor Technologies - Shared, Reseller, VPS & Dedicated Hosting
    E-Mail: john[AT]warp-factor.net AIM: iiwebwizardii
      0 Not allowed!

I would disagree John.

I would say its important for iNET to get opinions from those members who WERE premium members but less their subscription end, and also members who didnt even bother with premium. They already hooked you so why would your opinion matter? (being blunt)
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.
      0 Not allowed!

Can we get back to suggestions, please? Or are we all suggested out?
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

No need to be so agressive ... it most certainly is not appreciated.
    Not to be "agressive", but your opinion is even less appreciated by those who have actually been on both sides of this fence.

Who do you go to when you want to improve your product? The person who buys your product monthly, the person who's had your product, quit buying it, or the person who's never had it?

Any smart business person knows that the person who has the product is happy enough to actually keep the membership going. It's the last two groups you need to worry about.

There was no "aggressive" in my statement, but stating that certain individuals should have their opinions weighed more than others, does nothing at all to build WHT.

Personally, I like the idea of keeping the member bar myself, as it's an easy way to tell who's supporting WHT. I'd maybe extend that to all premium members, regardless of status though, to show that they have supported WHT.

2. The extra forums - possibly maybe revamp them.
    They're dead, toss them. They may see 1-2 posts a week

5. Maybe an extra link in the signature, or possibly two ads running instead of just one?
    Again, that's not going to work, it only promotes more problems internally, and causes confusion for moderators.

Anything like that that gives users "special" abilities over regular users like this doesn't help build wht up, it promotes the "good ol boy" club as mentioned before. Not only that but it causes more work on the already overworked (and underpaid, unless you like peanuts ) mods
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue
    Can we get back to suggestions, please? Or are we all suggested out?
    Just elimiate them. That hasn't been suggested, but after 10 pages of crap, you should get the hint.
      0 Not allowed!

Just elimiate them.
    They already have, so the whole thread seems kind of pointless
    Web Hosting Plus
    Premium Australian Web Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by WarpFactor
    I believe that iNet should appeal directly to those who are current subscribers of the Premium membership and ask those of us who have supported it as it currently is what we would like to see the service turn into. As of this moment, the Premium members are the customer -- non-premium members aren't, and I don't think their views should be weighted as highly as those who aren't current subscribers.
    Why? Previous subscribers and would be subscribers are equally welcome to share their views. There is a reason many previous Premium members didn't reapply, so their contribution should be highly relevant to what Troy is asking.
      0 Not allowed!

Premium membership should be forgotten and revenue gained from pay per post areas within the advertising channels.

People either come here to discuss aspects of hosting or pimp out services.

I dont think you can try and generate revenue from the discussion (premiums didnt work) but you can certainly generate revenue from people wanting to use wht as a sales channel.

End of discuss, end of suggestions.

Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast