Experiences with Canadian registrars?

Hi,

I'm trying to decide on a Canadian registrar for a .ca domain. I don't need web hosting, I already have that.

Anyone had an experience (positive or negative) they could share? Just be nice to have done a bit of research before jumping in. One consideration is that my client doesn't like getting email advertisements.

Companies I've considered are:

-CanSpace (seems to be the most inexpensive - $9.75, and their website looks nice and professional)

-namespro.ca

-domainscanada.ca (I was more intrigued as to why domains are $50 with this company?)

-domainsatcost.ca

-domainpeople.ca

Thanks,
    Andrew

namespro.ca (Vancouver) isn't the cheapest but has great support
    I had .coms at netfirms.ca (Toronto) but consolidated to another registrar. Nothing wrong with netfirms and they have good prices.

NamesPro is awesome! They respond to tickets so fast and I host all of my personal .CA domains with them. Seriously, a great provider - forget the rest.
    RACK911 Labs | Penetration Testing | https://www.RACK911Labs.ca

www.HostingSecList.com - Security Notices for the Hosting Community.

There are many Companies providing domain registration services in Canada.
    Google search will help you to find the best one.
    Choose ICAN-accredited one in order to be sure in reliability of the company.

I use godaddy.com for all my .ca. Always use a coupon code aswell. There is a 30% off (no minumum) floating around that ends sunday.
    Sorry didn't see that part about email ads not wanted. This is the major problem with godaddy. I just filter them into trash
    Last edited by smerrikin; 02-10-2012 at 11:48 AM.
    I like stuff

good <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Domainsatcost is good - unless you need support

I have been using DomainsAtCost for about 6 years now and I'm moving everything off there to Gandi. I was very happy with DomainsAtCost until the last year or so when their support and business practice revealed itself to be really poor.

The issues that prompted me to leave:
    1. They blamed me for data corruption on admin/owner contact details, but I discovered the identical issue on a colleague's account. I doubt we both were guilty of the *exact same* data corruption.
    2. When registering a new domain, I discovered that they pointed it at a scammy linkdump site. The first time I contacted them about it, they flat-out denied it and claimed it might just be a DNS problem. It wasn't.
    3. I called their support number to enquire if they are making money on the click-thrus and a very bitchy woman avoided my questions, refusing to answer if this was their business practice.
    4. When I asked if I could forward the issue to management, the only response I got was a fake-cheery "I'll let them know! Have a good day!" and they hung up.

I realize a lot of registrars will use a generic linkdump site if you register your domain but don't point it anywhere. I also realize that it is easy to point it somewhere (if you have a temporary location). However, my problem was their denial of the business practice and then the evasive answers when I called them on it.

I am moving to a registrar that has excellent support and doesn't use any scammy linkdumps (their default page is a simple "This domain is reserved").

Quote Originally Posted by acalder View Post
    I have been using DomainsAtCost for about 6 years now and I'm moving everything off there to Gandi.
    .ca's can only be sold through Canadian based registrars - that's why Godaddy established 'Go Daddy Domains Canada, Inc' in Canada. Who is the registrar of record for Gandi's .ca domains?

Gandi. They have an office in Vancouver.

Namespro has been good to us

Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Uhm, Tucows?

Quote Originally Posted by HR-Martin View Post
    Uhm, Tucows?
    Seriously? When was the last time you bought a domain name? Tucows has been out of the retail domain business for *years*.

From their web site:
    We do not sell domain names directly to consumers.