length of time for nameserver to propogate?

I changed my nameserver yesterday afternoon. How long typically, should I expect the nameserver change to take place? It's been well over a day and it's still not in effect. What's the typical wait?

Last time I changed nameservers, it took nearly 3 days.

Apparently, I have a slack ISP

Lats...

It takes me about 30 hours usually.

48 hours is not unusual, however the DNS caches throughout the Internet may mess you up for weeks...

-t
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net

My most recent domain took a full 72 hours to resolve--at least where from where I sit. You might want to do a traceroute--either on the web or via telnet on a distant server--to see if the name is resolving to its IP number. If it is, could be that your ISP's cache has not been updated.

Varies so much

Depends on the registrar....the time of day....and other factors. However, I have seen tremendous improvement recently-hope it holds. Using dotster, my sites are averaging 24 hours over the last two months.

Re: Varies so much

Originally posted by Incognito
    Depends on the registrar....the time of day....and other factors. However, I have seen tremendous improvement recently-hope it holds. Using dotster, my sites are averaging 24 hours over the last two months.
    I use Dotster too. In the past, it's been a little over 24 hours. Finally, this morning it has propogated. Took the full 72 hours this time...

From what I understand your registrar should send the update to upstream to the root servers at 5:00am and 5:00pm nightly. From there it will take a good 48 hours for it to propogate to the routers across the internet.

A good primer is at:

http://www.freehostingweb.com/tutorials_about_dns.html

I use OpenSRS and mine are updated in the InterNIC whois registry usually within 12 hours. The InterNIC updates every 12 hours.

The problem I sometime have is with my ISP. That is usually where the delay comes into play. Often a change will work for one person and not for others who are using other internet connections.