Thread: Hosting Help

Hosting Help

I have my maycart.in hosted on free webserver, because i am still testing some open source CMS like opencart and prestashop and tweaking to work on them.

I have question for a startup like me which has around 300 Total products.

and serioulsy i am not expecting more than 6000 visits a month and probably 50 users maximum at one time.

i chose OC because it was much easier and less bloty on my local server.

Ok here is the QUESTION. please suggest me minimum requirement which i should be looking.

so that i could finalize on the Webhost.

Hello biggig!

I am a customer community representative with InMtion Hosting and we have plenty of customers using Open Cart and Prestashop on our shared servers. Regardless of the hosting company you go to, they should be able to handle that kind of traffic on their shared servers. The biggest problem we see with CMS sites like prestashop and Open Cart may be the caching.

If the site has no caching, then there is a potential for robots to hit your site causing your site to crash. Many robots are not legitimate visitors to your site and can cause your site to run slow and crash. As long as you can restrict the bad bots and have the Open cart and Prestashop running optimized, you should not have a problem on shared.

Usually, if your ecommerce site gets so popular that your traffic causes an issue, you should be able to upgrade to a VPS plan that allows your site to run off of the shared environment. These servers allow you to configure your server to run server side caching like APC.

I would recommend trying a shared host at first to see if your site can handle it. If problems arise you can upgrade to a VPS server. That way you can minimize your hosting costs. You should be able to get the following Server requirements on shared hosting which is perfect for Open Cart and Prestashop.

- Apache version 2.2
    - PHP version 5.3
    - MySQL version 5.1
    - Dedicated IP address (required for SSL certificate for secure payment processing)
    - FTP access
    - Enough bandwidth (Most shared servers have unlimited bandwidth)

If your server has these, then you should be good to sell online. I hope this helps you make up your mind on what kind of server to get.

<<signature to be set up in your profile>>
    Last edited by foobic; 02-12-2013 at 09:34 PM.

oh thank you james..although you have answered important questions,
    but on shared sever we cant have Static IP adress..or can we?

Quote Originally Posted by biggig View Post
    oh thank you james..although you have answered important questions,
    but on shared sever we cant have Static IP adress..or can we?
    You can but it needs to be justified.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    You can but it needs to be justified.
    What justification do you need? Almost every web hosting provider allows you to use a dedicated IP as an add-on for your web hosting package.
    If you really need justification (which I really doubt it) just say that you want to install a SSL cert. on it.
    Host Weby - Professional Web Hosting
    24/7 Support. Reliable CPanel Web Hosting
    Attracta SEO Tools, CloudFlare CDN and more

Hosts audit IP usage, so lying doesn't work either.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by hostweby View Post
    What justification do you need? Almost every web hosting provider allows you to use a dedicated IP as an add-on for your web hosting package.
    If you really need justification (which I really doubt it) just say that you want to install a SSL cert. on it.
    So you think lying is a good way to get a dedicated IP ? Is this how you do it?

Sorry but I hate hosts wasting ip. We are running out of IPV4 so let's be honest and use the ip properly.

I hope you are not wasting it...

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

I think you need a vps with 1GB ram, 100 GB Space and 2 TB Bandwidth. If you start a eCommerce site then must try to use dedicated ip and SSL.

Quote Originally Posted by toshost View Post
    I think you need a vps with 1GB ram, 100 GB Space and 2 TB Bandwidth. If you start a eCommerce site then must try to use dedicated ip and SSL.
    And why not shared hosting..?

By using shared hosting, you can run more than one sites if you decide in future..

Quote Originally Posted by james-r View Post
    - Dedicated IP address (required for SSL certificate for secure payment processing)
    For most hosts, that would be considered proper justification for a dedicated IP.

Needing a dedicated IP for SEO purposes would not be considered proper justification.
    SimpleSonic - We Make Fast... Easy!
    US/UK/MY - 100% Uptime - Shared - Reseller - cPanel - DirectAdmin - WHMCS Included!
    Blazing Fast NVMe SSD - CloudLinux - Imunify360 - LiteSpeed - MailChannels - JetBackup

Since you're looking for opencart hosting solution, why not try out their official recommendation directly?

Quote Originally Posted by Lincxu View Post
    Since you're looking for opencart hosting solution, why not try out their official recommendation directly?
    How about because it's one -- an Arvixe affiliate link.
    Maybe the OP wants more, better, etc?
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

shouldnt need a vps for this most shared hosts can cope with these requirements hardesy part is getting the support a first time user will need

Ok..i am little confused here now...i dont have much money to invest on my site. i am still figuring out everything on my own.
    I want SSL certificate, doesnt matter if that is shared. (and that requires dedicated IP address )
    Can this be solved using shared hosting..

i appriciate you guys answers....i need this simple suggestion here...