hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : Dedicated Server : NGINX or LiteSpeed

Forum Jump

Dedicated Server : NGINX or LiteSpeed

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraj View Post
If you have a good budget, I suggest you to use Litespeed (they are working at cache system for the future). It's a complete solution for web server, and you can replace Apache without problem. It has many functions and it's a premium software.

If you want reduce and pay less, so Nginx is the best solution.
The free version of course only allows for a maximum of 150 concurrent connections, so it's best to go with the paid version or not at all.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Thanks for the replies ...

well the most important thing to me is performance .. I have heard that NGINX performance is so much better than LiteSpeed , and I think LiteSpeed is not compatible with MariaDB .. (bur I am not sure about it)

Old 06-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by alichakery View Post

well the most important thing to me is performance .. I have heard that NGINX performance is so much better than LiteSpeed , and I think LiteSpeed is not compatible with MariaDB .. (bur I am not sure about it)
Litespeed web server works fine with any MySQL version, I've used MariaDB 5.2.x on Apache, Litespeed and Nginx (for Centminmod.com project).

Nginx configured properly can handle alot in terms of performance, but for php intensive sites I find Litespeed web server the next step up from Nginx (personal opinion based on my own experience).

And here's quick a history of Webhostingtalk.com discussion threads on Apache vs Litespeed, Apache + Varnish Cache vs Litespeed, Apache, Nginx and Litespeed etc

To sum it up
  1. You need to reach certain level of high concurrency traffic to see the real benefits of Litespeed web server compared Apache standalone web server or Nginx. If you're forums or site are a new startup with very little in the way of concurrent visitor traffic, then Apache or Nginx standalone server (if tuned optimally) should suffice . Tacking on Varnish with Apache or Nginx will make things even more snappier and most cost effective boost a step up from Apache standalone.
  2. My first choice for very high concurrent traffic sites and best performance = litespeed web server or litespeed web server + litespeed cache or litespeed web server + varnish cache. I'm talking concurrency levels in the 1,000-10,000+ range. If you don't mind spending hours, days and weeks at a time managing/configuring and learning about nginx and nginx's alternative rewrite syntax for Apache htaccess/mod_rewrite equivalents, then nginx is also a good to Apache standalone.

Personally, if time is money to you, then while nginx is free, it's hidden costs is your time. Yes long term wise once you learn Nginx and how to configure it, then probably it will pay off somewhat. But can definitely say the total hours you spend babysitting and administrating a Nginx based server will definitely be much higher than that with Litespeed web server. It's reason I jumped on Centmin.com project with my own modded version Centminmod.com to reduce some of that administration time for setting up and maintaining Nginx standalone.

If you are unfamiliar with Nginx or Apache tuning, and need to hire someone to do it for you, then that's additional costs there as well, so for folks stating Nginx and Apache are free compared to Litespeed, the argument doesn't really hold up. It's only true if you are competent in tuning Nginx and Apache to meet traffic needs.

Litespeed is more like Apache in that you can install, set and forget most of the time. It works well out of the box, only really needed to tune settings once a client >200,000 unique ip visitors/day or if you're behind a load balancer and you database backend is slow to respond to query requests. Litespeed all settings are in admin GUI interface control panel to adjust. Litespeed VPS license is US$15/month while 2 cpu license is like US$45/month. My time is certainly worth more than the license cost, so with Litespeed I also save my time compared to Nginx.

But if you really can't afford a Litespeed license and you've outgrown Apache standalone (minus web accelerators like Varnish Cache), then yes Apache + Varnish or Nginx are better alternatives to Apache standalone.

Just my AUD$0.02

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2012, 07:15 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeezie View Post
Based on looking at the automated configurations created by cpnginx and it's directadmin configuration yes, it can't directly serve static files and obey any .htaccess rules at the same time otherwise. Primarily they had it setup as a forward proxy with some caching flags and such turned on so that at the very least nginx would be caching some of the previously pulled files. But it still doesn't equate to much benefits over setting it up yourself.

You actually get quite a bit more performance out of using a varnish plugin for cpanel/whm.
yeah nginx admin (ngixncp) just nginx static file reverse proxy setups serving static files via nginx and passing on php and dynamic/htaccess calls to apache backend. I've had clients outgrown that setup due to php intensive scripts which end up bypassing nginx and hitting apache backend (the bottleneck)

Old 06-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by alichakery View Post

The webserver shouldn't have any problems with a database server as the two almost never talk to each other i.e.: on apache, litespeed, lighttpd, nginx, etc there is almost never connectivity between them and the database but rather dynamic scripting languages such as php, python, etc will be the portion talking to the database.

Where you would normally run into problems, is whether or not the control panel that supports the webserver also happens to support the database type.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:32 PM

I would pref. Litespeed for myself

Old 06-10-2012, 03:44 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Thanks everyone ...

infact the Litepspeed license is not an issue to me cause I have to pay about $1400 to someone one to config a nginx server properly for my scripts , so the license fee is not really an issue ...

ok .. thanks everyone I think I found out everything I needed

thanks

Old 06-10-2012, 05:14 AM
Premium Member

I think Eva sums it up very nicely. I'm quite happy with Apache + Varnish but agree it took some tweaking to get right and I'll do some more tweaking once I move up to nginx. If I were to factor in my hourly rate as lost time then the Litespeed licence would make more sense, but I'm a techie and this is what I do for a living