Thread: Port Speed

Port Speed

Hi everyone I was wondering about the significance of port speed?

I'm looking at LimeStone networks and there pricing for Uplink Port Speed goes like so:

10mbps (included)
    100mbps (monthly +5.00)
    1000mbps (monthly +50.00)

What difference will it make to me going from from 100mbps to 1000mbps? Will the site show up faster or is it for the ability to upload via ftp faster? What is it? Please keep it simpel as I'm new at this. Thanks!

Upgrading the uplink port speed would help visitors to access files hosted in the server much faster, a 100Mbps link will be able to send out data at ten times the rate of a 10Mbps link. If you are serving a lot of large files say, more than 1 megabyte of data per second, then its good if you upgrade the port speed.
    Senior Server Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by WebDivx View Post
    Hi everyone I was wondering about the significance of port speed?

I'm looking at LimeStone networks and there pricing for Uplink Port Speed goes like so:

10mbps (included)
    100mbps (monthly +5.00)
    1000mbps (monthly +50.00)

What difference will it make to me going from from 100mbps to 1000mbps? Will the site show up faster or is it for the ability to upload via ftp faster? What is it? Please keep it simpel as I'm new at this. Thanks!
    As per my understanding

Port speed is in reference to the maximum amount of data that can pass through the port at a given second on the switches that connect your server to the Internet. The unit of measurement is in megabits per second (Mbps) or gigabits per second (Gbps). You can upgrade your port speed on the backup network of your dedicated server to 100 Mbs Public + 1000 Mbs Private for $10/mo.
    Thanks,
    Noman
    noman@linuxonsupport.com
    O Canada, we stand on guard for thee

Go for a 100Mbps port, rarely do people use gigabit uplinks.
    Jacob Wall

Quote Originally Posted by linuxcares View Post
    Upgrading the uplink port speed would help visitors to access files hosted in the server much faster, a 100Mbps link will be able to send out data at ten times the rate of a 10Mbps link. If you are serving a lot of large files say, more than 1 megabyte of data per second, then its good if you upgrade the port speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Wall View Post
    Go for a 100Mbps port, rarely do people use gigabit uplinks.
    really?!?

my site receives 20+ visitors a day and relies on vBulletin. i have over 10k images with about 500-1000 of them being between 1 and 3 MB.

will an upgrade from 100 Mbps port to 1000 Mbps port make a difference for a site like mine? will the 1000 Mbps prt be very helpful, or will the difference be negligible?

really?!?

my site receives 20+ visitors a day and relies on vBulletin. i have over 10k images with about 500-1000 of them being between 1 and 3 MB.

will an upgrade from 100 Mbps port to 1000 Mbps port make a difference for a site like mine? will the 1000 Mbps prt be very helpful, or will the difference be negligible?
    To use 1000Mbps, you'd need to have LOTS of connections to your website. 20+ visitors won't benefit with a gigabit port.
    Jacob Wall

To use 1000Mbps, you'd need to have LOTS of connections to your website. 20+ visitors won't benefit with a gigabit port.
    LOL, sorry, i meant 20K (20,000) plus visitors

my site receives 20K+ visitors a day and relies on vBulletin. i have over 10k images with about 500-1000 of them being between 1 and 3 MB.

LOL, sorry, i meant 20K (20,000) plus visitors

my site receives 20K+ visitors a day and relies on vBulletin. i have over 10k images with about 500-1000 of them being between 1 and 3 MB.

20,000 a day? Nah, doubt it. Unless you run a mainly image based forum board.
    Jacob Wall

20,000 a day? Nah, doubt it. Unless you run a mainly image based forum board.
    really? nice! it's mainly MySQL based...lol... the pictures are in galleries uploaded by users

really? nice! it's mainly MySQL based...lol... the pictures are in galleries uploaded by users
    Mind giving us a link to your website and maybe we would be able to give you a more accurate suggestion?

MySQL is going to eat up cpu, ram, and hdd, not your uplink.
    Jacob Wall

If your board is image intensive and your users are experiencing slow download times now, it might be wise to upgrade to a gigabit link. Otherwise just stick to 100mbps.

Also, do note that if you do upgrade to a gigabit port, you'd also have to upgrade your harddisks to 10k or 15k disks, or RAID as you won't be able to reach the full gigabit speed as the 7200rpm disk gets throttled.

As stated you will want to avoid any bottlenecks with the HDDs and the port speeds. If you check your bandwidth graphs you should be able to determine if you are maxing out your current connection during your peak hours. If you have any further questions, do feel free to hop into Live Chat as well.
    Machen N. Mathews - Coinhost.io - Founder
    Cloud - Web & Dedicated Server Hosting - Bitcoin Affiliate Program
    Cryptocurrency Accepted, Privacy Respected. @hostcoin - 720.515.1505