Looking for a decicated server

Hello everyone. I am the owner of XL Boards (which hosts YaBB SE Message Boards) and I am in need of a dedicated server. My host, Hostage.biz cannot continue to host me because of the amount of space the 255 boards I host take up too much space (700MB). He recommended Server Pronto.com to start out with. I am looking for a Red Hat Linux server. Does anyone else have suggestions or pointers on what server I should use? Thank you!

Re: Looking for a decicated server

Originally posted by XL Boards
    Hello everyone. I am the owner of XL Boards (which hosts YaBB SE Message Boards) and I am in need of a dedicated server. My host, Hostage.biz cannot continue to host me because of the amount of space the 255 boards I host take up too much space (700MB). He recommended Server Pronto.com to start out with. I am looking for a Red Hat Linux server. Does anyone else have suggestions or pointers on what server I should use? Thank you!
    This would be a good place to start:

HOST QUOTE

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Thanks.

He recommended Server Pronto.com to start out with.
    If you can afford $100 for a dedi, there are much better alternatives. In the final run, you want your nice boards running, not constantly down.

Re: Re: Looking for a decicated server

Originally posted by Imago
    If you can afford $100 for a dedi, there are much better alternatives. In the final run, you want your nice boards running, not constantly down.
    The thing is, at the moment I can't really afford anything. I just got the advertisement program started.

Try hostquote, or go with some of the standards:

servermatrix.com
    ev1servers.net
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

If 700 Mb is too much space for that host, then run away from them as fast as you can What are they hosting from, a P166 with a 1 Gig drive?

Most providers aren't going to allow you to run a free message board site off your hosting account. Takes up quite a bit of resources.

The problem with offering ad-free service for free is... you have no way to pay for your hosting.

Well, then this should be in their TOS or smth. They have been allowing this up to a certain point, now that it is using too many resources they decided to dump it. Not good from the PR standpoint, YaBB SE is also PHP/MySQL, not even Perl. Looks like they don't want to stand up to their offer. Actually they dont even have a plan bigger than 400 Mb space, so maybe it was a custom offer and they discussed all the terms beforehand.

It is in most hosts TOS that you can be cut off for using abnormal amount of server resources (it only makes sense... a 1 MB account can use the entire CPU otherwise).

Check out the order form... I don't think it's a very rigid host, they probably do custom packages a lot of times.

Right, but this quote
    My host, Hostage.biz cannot continue to host me because of the amount of space the 255 boards I host take up too much space (700MB).
    clearly states the reason - because of space - 700 Mb, which is not a lot at all. There's no mention of abnormal resources, only space issue is mentioned. That's why it's weird.

One of two things I figure are going on:

1) He doesn't have any quota support, so he went over his usage and now he has to find a new host.

2) Sometimes hosts get confused or just lie about why they want you gone. A friend of mine runs a similar service and was booted from cihost for using too much unlimited bandwidth.

A $10 account from ****** or canaca will solve this case.

I'm pretty sure ****** would nail him for sucking up CPU time, don't you think?

They might have purchased the Zend Accelerator (I wonder who buy it at that price!).

Well, he said I had unlimited space/bandwidth because I posted at Mihopa.com a lot, but I guess not. But I didn't go over the amount of space I had, I have used 98.9%. But anyway, I will have a look at those websites amusive. Thanks.

No problem.

See, I even help my competetors

I would point you towards www.ServerMatrix.com (or one of their resellers for better pricing,) because they're in your price range and have a great network.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

Originally posted by X F e L i X
    I would point you towards Server Matrix (or one of their resellers for better pricing,) because they're in your price range and have a great network.
    Ok, thanks, I will definately look into them.