Thread: Lunar Pages

Lunar Pages

Wow, Lunar Pages SUCKS!

Any time I have any kind of problem, and I need to call in I get put on hold for insainly long amounts of time. And for those of us with cell phones it's eating the money right out of my pocket. Money I don't have because my site it down.

anyone else had bad expericances with lunar pages?

Did you try e-mailing them instead? I'm sure that wouldn't cost you any more money.

-GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

I tried, they have yet to respond. And if I send more then one or two the will probably just get mad and not respond to any of them. I wouldent mind so much if it was a once in awhile thing but everytime something goes wrong this happens.

If you think they suck that bad then move, lunarpages do normaly have quite a good rep for support.

Lack of support combined with poor attitude from the support staff is the only reason why I left them (the attitude and less than helpful responses was the last straw). Their support went downhill very quickly the last 4 months or so that I hosted with them.

I moved to another host about 9 months ago, and my current host Rochen is excellent.

I think the site the original poster (joe) is referring to is our HR company blog (nocblog.com). I'm not one to go out and bash a competitor, but I've been dealing with this problem myself all day and for them to tell me my blog that gets 30 hits a day needs a dedicated server is pretty far out there. For me to have to sit on hold for 20 minutes several times in one day to hear that is even worse. I've asked for direct contant info for someone a little higher up the chain there and hopefully it gets resolved soon, but i'm quite surprised that its come even close to this. I understand that it's in their best interest to make sure the server is working properly however they should be working with the customer to resolve the issue not sticking them on hold for 20 mins at a time and telling them nothing.

-Brendan

I think lunarpages should setup a quality control department to keep a watch on all its remotely working techs as well as inhouse staff.

When a company gets as big as lunarpages then they need to have separate departments to keep things well managed or the future would be something like featureprice !

We would never ignore a supprot request. Our telephones are currently very busy because of the volume of issues pertaining to the recent phpBB vulnerability.

If you PM me your ticket # and email I will personally make sure your issue is replied to. Currently email response is at about an hour so if you submitted your request longer then that, it was not received.

I think lunarpages should setup a quality control department to keep a watch on all its remotely working techs as well as inhouse staff.
    We do have this.

HRBrendan, I'll gove you my extension if you want to PM me

Thanks for clarification Kathleen|LP

Seems like you are running short of staff on First working day of week.

ok an update on all this:

We have recently hired several new admins. Unfortunately 2 who dealt with your issue were new and did not do so correctly. Fortunately, we have a good audit process in place so the supervisor caught this. She replied to your issue. Please feel free to call me directly if you'd like to discuss further.

Your site did have a spike, we noticed it and brought it to your attention. This was not in a place where it would have been suspended but we did want you to look into why it was occurring so you could do whatever necessary to minimize the effect to the server.

We look at our staff continually and hire appropriately to continue a high grade of service based on call volume. This weekend through today, however, we *have* been short staffed because of the unusually high sheer volume of calls and tickets attributed to the phpBB exploits.

Anyone who has customer support issues can always contact me directly and I will look into it. I do apologize for the long hold times today. It is not a typical occurrance.

Thanks for the help Kathleen, the issue is being resolved now.

-Brendan

Lunarpages melting down?

Hi all,

I've been a happy camper at Lunarpages for some time now. They've tended to be professional and prompt in dealing with problems.

That's why the last 24 hours have been so mystifying to me. I was away from my email, writing software. About midnight last night, I returned to the office, and there was a message from lunarpages. It said that my website had been the subject of a dictionary attack, and that it had spawned 1,200 processes, which brought the server to its knees. As a result, they had moved my website to a different server. That's fair enough, but they moved the server around 2:45PM MDT, and I had received NO emails since then (for comparison, I had 91 emails [real, non-SPAM] yesterday before 2:45PM). My business received a very favorable write-up over the weekend, so not getting emails is like losing your phone messages. OUCH!

I posted a reply to the support ticket regarding the lack of emails, and went to bed. Today, it still hadn't been replied to, or fixed. I called, and finally got through to Nick. After 45 minutes of changing settings, etc., he realized that I wasn't even receiving a test email from him to me. At that point, he said that he had assigned the server admin who had moved my website to trace the mail log and see what happened. That was about 12:45PM MDT. He said it would probably take 45 minutes to an hour. It's about 6PM MDT, and none of my posts on the support ticket have merited a reply. I'm still not getting email. As the coup de grace, I called the tech support number again, was placed in the queue, the muzak stopped, and I heard a ring that continued for several minutes before I was finally dropped to dial tone. Obviously, something has gone very wrong at Lunarpages.

I'm trying to resist the urge to flame. I don't want to become a case of spontaneous combustion. I just want my email back. Everybody makes mistakes. It was Lunarpages turn to make a mistake. What seperates the worthwhile hosting services from the bums is how they respond to mistakes.So far, I've gotten no satisfaction. If you're out there Kathleen, please help!

Thanks,
    John, the chartguy

Hi,

I received your email and am looking into it right now. You were undergoing a heavy dictionary attack. I will continue with the rest of this issue via your email.

Thank you for contacting me

Hi Kathleen,

First, thank you for helping me to get everything straightened out. It appears that I wasn't the only website at LunarPages that was targeted for a dictionary attack, and I suspect that had a bit to do with the slower than normal response. That I can understand. When your up to your a** in alligators, it hard to swat mosquitoes.

Once Fahim got in touch with me, everything was as I've come to expect from LunarPages. He was fast, efficient, polite, effective and most of all, personable.

I wrote my first FortranIV program back in high school (1969-1970?). My degree was in Math, not EE/CIS. It is so refreshing when you run into a technical person who can communicate effectively, and Fahim is a member of that rare breed. It's unfortunate how underated that skill can be. If you can't communicate with the user, how do know what to fix? Some techies blame the stupid users, when often the problem is that they cannot communicate their instructions to the user effectively, or understand the user well enough to diagnose correctly, jumping to the wrong conclusion. Fahim is a real person, with an actual sense of humor!

In other words, I'm glad that my fears about LunarPages changing were unjustified. LunarPages is STILL THE GREATEST! Any hosting service can be subjected to multiple attacks, and can be overwhelmed by enough of them. How you help your customers deal with them is what seperates the "good examples" from the "horrible warnings".

Thank you!
    John, the chartguy