hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Running a Web Hosting Business : All domains attached to nameservers - HELP!

Forum Jump

All domains attached to nameservers - HELP!

Reply Post New Thread In Running a Web Hosting Business Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Invented the Internet

All domains attached to nameservers - HELP!

I have two really old nameservers, that are no longer attached to ANY server...they are just pointing to "nothing". That particular server has been offline for more than a year.

Come to find out, there are still ALOT of domains pointing to those nameservers and the registrar won't let me delete the nameservers (I'm still paying for the IPs - ack!) until all the domains are pointing elsewhere.

I've talked to openSRS and usually they are more than helpful. In this particular case they can tell me how many domains are pointing to them (last time I talked to them, it was 112 domains) - but they can't/won't give me a list of the domains so that I can contact the domain owners.

These are all domains who's hosting accounts have expired and they never bothered to move the hosting elsewhere.

Is there ANYWHERE that I can go to find out the actual domains that are pointing to: ns1.whitelakeweb.com and ns2.whitelakeweb.com ?!?!?

HELP!!!!

--Tina

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Wow. Can they really do that? I mean you have already informed them that the nameservers are technically inoperational. It makes no sense of having to pay for them if you want them to be deleted.

The domains pointing to your nameserver will not be affected whether it is operational or not. Right? So, what is the point of the registrar not allowing you to delete it. Do they make sense?
Can the hosting community do something about this issue? You guys may be hooked up to something like this in the long run.

As for me, that is just my comment. I am not yet into hosting. I hope Tina can solve her problem soon. Goodluck!

Ganah -- Turning the waves of internet services (TM)

Old
Invented the Internet

Quote:
Originally posted by consul

The domains pointing to your nameserver will not be affected whether it is operational or not. Right?
Exactly! These domains are dead - not pointing to anything and not hosted by anyone. The owners just abandoned the domains...for almost a year they've been totally dead links.

OpenSRS (and aparently ALL registrars) will not remove nameservers from the registry until it has ZERO domains pointed to them.

Right now, I'm just waiting on all these domains to expire. I know of one that is good through 2005 - which means I might end up paying for the IPs for three more years!

--Tina

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

* just a thought

Take both systems off line and use them as e-mail servers somewhere else.

go out an find a popup program somewhere

create a master page for those 112 accounts

that way you might still get some revenue.

Old
Invented the Internet

I don't want to do any of that. I want to know if there is any way to find out the 112 domains that are still pointing to these nameservers?

That's the question.

--Tina

Old
Web Hosting Master

What would happen if you just refused to pay for the IPs any longer? (and I did a search but couldn't find anything to answer the actual question)

Old
Web Hosting Master

the only thing I can think of is the ARIN look up http://www.arin.net/whois/arinwhois.html

and maybe the whois from network solution

sorry that's about it.

Old
Retired Moderator

<edit>oops, I misunderstood your comment about paying for IP addresses, sorry.</edit>

Last edited by cperciva; 12-30-2001 at 01:10 AM.
Old
Invented the Internet

Quote:
Originally posted by JustinK
What would happen if you just refused to pay for the IPs any longer? (and I did a search but couldn't find anything to answer the actual question)

My upstream provides me with IPs. They can't reuse the IPs because they are attached to the nameservers. It's not my upstreams fault that openSRS (actually, I think it's just the rules that openSRS has to abide by) won't delete these nameservers.

So, I wouldn't screw my upstream provider over on payment because of this.

Thanks for checking. If ANYONE has any ideas - please let me know.

--Tina

Old
Invented the Internet

Quote:
Originally posted by cperciva
Why don't you just move the domain to a registrar which doesn't charge you for having nameservers registered? I have a domain for which I once registered ns1. and ns2. which I'm no longer using... I've since moved the domain and I have no idea what IP addresses those are bound to in the root nameservers any more.
It's my upstream that charges me for the IPs - because they can't reuse them as long as the nameservers are attached to them.

For the record, my upstream provider charges me WAY TOO MUCH for IPs - but their service is amazing and I get alot of extra "perks", so I'm happy.

It just makes me mad that I am stuck paying for these IPs for the next (at least) three years because openSRS won't delete the nameservers.

--Tina

Old
Web Hosting Master

I have nothing better to do so I'm still searching. The following looked interesting though:
http://www.domainwatch.com/

Old
Retired Moderator

Ok, now that I properly understand the issue... why not point those nameserver entries into the middle of nowhere? I don't mean to randomly pick IP addresses; I mean to pick addresses which are never going to be used by anyone. Addresses like 127.27.18.28, or perhaps 0.31.41.59.

I don't know if your registrar will allow either of those, but there's lots of unrouted address space which is likely to forever remain that way into which you could point the nameserver entries.

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Thats odd because when I had this problem StargateInc.com told me which domains were linked to them....

Old
Web Hosting Master

You may be able to ask stargate (I beleive they have a rep on the forum but he/she doesn't post much), or possibly transfer the domains to stargate, if they won't help you without doing so?

Chicken

Old
Invented the Internet

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicken
You may be able to ask stargate (I beleive they have a rep on the forum but he/she doesn't post much), or possibly transfer the domains to stargate, if they won't help you without doing so?

Umm...I'm not with Stargate and if I knew the domains in question - I wouldn't be trying to find out which domains were in question.

--Tina

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - September 26, 2014 Web Hosting News 2014-09-26 15:37:14
Namecheap DDoS Attack Impacts Free DNS and Default v2 Nameservers Web Hosting News 2014-02-21 11:43:51
Nominet Plans to Make Shorter .UK Domains Available Starting June 10 Web Hosting News 2014-02-03 12:08:10
Web HSP Launches On-Demand Network Attached Storage Service Web Hosting News 2013-05-02 12:43:10
Polish Domain Registry NASK Seizes Domains Used in Pervasive Virut Botnet Web Hosting News 2013-01-21 16:56:31