Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    We bought a house about a year ago that was built in 1964. One of the very first things I did was to install GFIs in all of the bathrooms and by the kitchen sink. Sure, the chances of someone getting killed without the GFI being installed is slim - but adding the GFIs just dropped that chance down to zero.

Also, as someone else mentioned, you could very well save someone else's life who moves into that house later on. Imagine a 5 year old, thinking it would be really cool to see what happens when he uses mommy's hair dryer under water in the bathtub. For $20, you could save that kid's life.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    We bought a house about a year ago that was built in 1964. One of the very first things I did was to install GFIs in all of the bathrooms and by the kitchen sink. Sure, the chances of someone getting killed without the GFI being installed is slim - but adding the GFIs just dropped that chance down to zero.

Also, as someone else mentioned, you could very well save someone else's life who moves into that house later on. Imagine a 5 year old, thinking it would be really cool to see what happens when he uses mommy's hair dryer under water in the bathtub. For $20, you could save that kid's life.

--Tina

Tina,

Same situation here. My wife and I just bought a house 6 weeks ago that was built 35 years ago and they gutted it and redid everything except they didn't follow electrical code in the breaker box and with the GFI's in the bathroom, kitchen and outside.

On a side note, all outside outlets are suppose to be GFI as-well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nich
    Maybe I'm being a little over-the-top here, but I think it's pretty out-of-line for you guys to bash the Home Depot employee and not even having any first-hand experience in this situation.
    What makes you think I don't have first hand experience? First off, I've shopped there...the employees don't always know what they're on about. Second of all, I own my own home, and do my own wiring for the most part and it's done to code. I've worked with contractors in my past, actually building houses. Have you?
    Making ignorant claims of the "model" $6 an hour Home Depot employee is rediculous. To give HD credit, some individuals at my locale that I've met have given me some invaluable information/tips/and help.
    I don't feel it's ignorant at all. Your own statement regarding "some individuals" giving you tips speaks volumes. *Some* might know a few things...most don't. I've spoken to many in my years of working with contractors, and I've found the bulk of them are not qualified to give safety advice...as evidenced by the "you don't need GFCI outlets in bathrooms" comments. It's code nearly everywhere, and the safety issues are real.
    I stand by my earlier comments.

Oh, and for the record, they are actually GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter), not GFI, though either term is often used.
    More: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/99.html

[edit= Found a better source]
    http://www.cdc.gov/eLCOSH/docs/d0500...ction7.html#41
    Last edited by bear; 10-30-2006 at 09:58 AM.

bear is definitely correct.

Knowing what Isle yard rakes are on doesn't make anyone qualified for advice.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

Quote Originally Posted by eMax
    Tina,

Same situation here. My wife and I just bought a house 6 weeks ago that was built 35 years ago and they gutted it and redid everything except they didn't follow electrical code in the breaker box and with the GFI's in the bathroom, kitchen and outside.

On a side note, all outside outlets are suppose to be GFI as-well.
    I didn't know outside outlets needed to be GFIs too, although it makes perfect sense. Guess what I'm going to be doing this week?

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    bear, I see your point I've been electricuted before and it wasn't that bad.
    I've been hit by a car before too, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to others
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

I need help with electrical wiring

I am new to this forum, and I figured I would just ask my question in this thread instead of creating a new one. I just bought my house and it was build in 1946. The house does have some renovations and in those rooms the electric outlets have been updated to 3 prong and (it passed inspection) seem to be properly grounded. The other half of the house is still equipped with 2 prong outlets, and I would like to update them to the 3 prong. I do believe the junction box is grounded in the wall, but there were only 4 wires coming out (2 white and 2 black). I used a multi meter to test the black wire and the junction box and got a 120v reading. So I am assuming the box is grounded. The 4 wires were wire nutted together with a pigtail to the original outlet. These wires are really short and makes it hard to work with to attach to the new outlet, and they are insulated with a fabric, instead of plastic.

Am I properly grounded?
    Should I pigtail them again and hook up the new outlet?
    Do I use all 4 wires?
    Should I use a GFCI?
    How can I lengthen the wires?

Quote Originally Posted by RvaKCCO View Post
    Am I properly grounded?
    Do I use all 4 wires?
    Should I use a GFCI?
    I'm assuming you are in the United States...

Am I properly grounded?
    Odds are high, no.

Depends. Continue reading. But do not reinstall a 3 prong outlet.

Do I use all 4 wires?
    YES!

Should I use a GFCI?
    You can. GFCI is an acceptable way of installing a 3 prong plug on an ungrounded system. It wont magically give you a 'ground' connection, but it will prevent shocks if your equipment decides to leak to ground. You must also use the "No equipment ground", and "GFCI Protected" stickers that come with the GFI. This is acceptable under the NFPA NEC 2011 edition Section 406.4(C).

Pigtail them. If the wire is aluminum, you can pigtail with copper as long as you use alum-cons or specialized purple wire nuts (neither are cheap). You can pigtail with aluminum wire, but you MUST ensure the device is AL rated (most are not).
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

This is so depressing. I was only 26 years old when I started this thread... now I'm almost 40 soon with wrinkles to prove it!

Oh what I would do to be 26 again. Someone... please stop the time... it is flying by too bloody fast!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxmW...ature=youtu.be --- changing to a GFI outlet

Everything from changing the brakes on your 1967 Corvette to doing your own appendectomy to save money (just kidding) you can find on YouTube.
    -----------------------------------
    AmeriWeb Hosting
    One Stop Business Solutions
    AmeriWeb Hosting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12