hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Programming Discussion : Web Programming Development training

Forum Jump

Web Programming Development training

Reply Post New Thread In Programming Discussion Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Premium Member

Web Programming Development training

Been looking for good tools available to develop web programming skills, and have come across Code Academy, looks good for providing tutorials and tasks to develop and has a range of languages, PHP, Javascript, HTML, CSS and etc.

Has anyone else used codeacademy and how did you find it and are there other good development resources that could be recommended.

JK

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Books mate, you can find books in many areas at Oreilly(dot)com

Old
Web Hosting Master

Protip: Whenever you land on w3schools bail, find the alternative reference on Mozilla developer center (MDC) or other.

Books are certainly best way to accelerate initially

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by QualityMarkup View Post
Books mate, you can find books in many areas at Oreilly(dot)com
I've used several O'Reilly books to great success in the past. If you're not one of those people who prefers to have a dead-tree copy, you can get most (all?) of their stuff through Safari. Safari even offers a free trial so you can give that a shot first or try to just learn it really quickly

Old
WHT Addict

I like Team Tree House they offer a 14 free trial.

Old

This will be long but interesting procedure. It worked for me.

1) Don't read the tutorials outright.
2) Make a very simple and common idea what program you wish to make (e.g calculator?)
3) Google for the already made programs with source code for them.
4) Edit them, play with them. Try Google when you wish to achieve something in a program.
5) Try making the whole program yourself. Go for tutorials when you are unable to do it yourself.

In this way you will not just learn, but also apply at the same time. Try it out!

Old
Corporate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3goodies View Post
This will be long but interesting procedure. It worked for me.

1) Don't read the tutorials outright.
2) Make a very simple and common idea what program you wish to make (e.g calculator?)
3) Google for the already made programs with source code for them.
4) Edit them, play with them. Try Google when you wish to achieve something in a program.
5) Try making the whole program yourself.

In this way you will not just learn, but also apply at the same time. Try it out!
w3goodies's advice is definitely the best advice on this I've seen around here.

Tutorials aren't going to teach you anything. Coming up with a program you'd like to write, then diving in and making it happen will. You're going to write garbage code at first. Write 10 or 20 garbage programs and as you go you'll learn more and your code will become better and better each time as you learn more. Eventually instead of a garbage program, you'll have written something that you're actually really proud of and will keep going from there! It'll be a long process, but it'll be a rewarding process, you'll learn a lot, and you'll have things that you can show to other people and say "I built this!" with a big smile on your face.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

I've done, and still do, any tutorial site I can find. But I don;t find them very fulfilling.

They all take you through the exact same things that every language has (variables, loops, arrays, input, file manipulation,e tc) Mostly they go over all the basics and seem to assume this is your first language no matter what.

I'm all for going over the basics, but they seem to stop short of giving you anything useful. It is like going to a language site and they give you the alphabet, tell you what nouns, verbs, statements and questions are. They give you a fer 'See John Run' statements to write and that is it.

The most fun I've had is reverse engineering various scripts I find on the web. They require a lot more thinking and banging my head against the wall when I try and duplicate them but I have more fun and feel more rewarded in the end.

Someone recommended this earlier I think and I find it the most effective. Google is there when I need specific syntax help or can't figure out a function by looking at it.

Plus, it's a lot better than building 'Hello World' for the hundredth time.