hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Design and Content : How to have page for HTTP file downloads

Forum Jump

How to have page for HTTP file downloads

Reply Post New Thread In Web Design and Content Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 01:09 AM

How to have page for HTTP file downloads

I'm having some odd issues. If I put a number of files, let's say ISO's in the root folder of a subdomain and I go to that subdomain, I thought I would see a list of files that could be downloaded. The strange thing is that this does happen some times and other times I get a 403 or 404 error or at times nothing at all, it depends upon what server I'm running.

The webserver I'm running is apache and it is on a centos host (sometimes ubuntu).

so if the subdomain is at:/var/www/html/vhosts/sitename/subdomain/FILES_TO_DOWNLOAD.iso and I go to the subdomain, I want to have a list of the files that are in that subdomain - this usually has an arrow to go to the parent directory at the top of the list. This is how the linux distro's usually have their download servers set up.

does this have to do with permission or owners settings?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2014, 04:46 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

do you have root access ?
have you any control panel? like cpanel or plesk ??

Old 03-03-2014, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrami View Post
do you have root access ?
have you any control panel? like cpanel or plesk ??
I have root access on one server which I can test. It was working on the server I didn't have root access on. It was working on one sub domain and all I did was move everything to a different subdomain (located in same subdomain folder ./subdomain1/first location ./subdomain2/second location). The settings were the same on both as far as I could tell (ls - lash command showed same users and owners, same file permissions).

I'm using plesk on one server with root and a proprietary panel with the web hosting service I use.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2014, 05:16 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

ok, make a file on root directory or subdomain directory with this name : .htaccess
and put this code on it
PHP Code:
RewriteEngine off 
save it, and restart server

Old 03-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Hello ICS123,

In the subdirectory, create an .htaccess file.

In the .htaccess file, enter the following code:
Options +Indexes

This will force the file listing for that folder as long as there is no index file (index.html, index.php, etc)

If there is code that restricts the viewing of the file listing (usually code in an htaccess file that says "Options -Indexes") you will receive a 403 (usually) or 404 error.