hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Design and Content : Database search

Forum Jump

Database search

Reply Post New Thread In Web Design and Content Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

Database search

Ok, so what I need to do I be able to create a database, somewhat like I would imagine an excel spreadsheet. Each column will be assigned a variable, and with each row/new entry a value will be filled into that column. What I then need to be able to do it have a search bar at the top of my website where users can select/refine their search by choosing these variables. By then clicking search, the website then searches the database and displays results that meet the search requirements. Somewhat like Ebay have with refining your search.

I was wondering if anyone knows of modules or external resources that I could use to go about ding this, along with a rough cost of having it set up. This is for a young enterprise competition so we are on a rather tight budget.

Thanks to anyone that may be able to help with ideas

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

So is this database accessible for editing from the web page? Or are you saying you want to create a database of values privately, and then give ppl the ability to search the contents of the database using a web interface?

White Label/Brand-able live chat software solutions

Old

A bit of both. It will require a table of fields for admins to enter/select values that will correlate with search entries. For users, yes, they need to be able to view the contents with a web interface. Again, somewhat like ebay has when listing an item, then searching for an item. Thanks for the reply

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Hello KiwiFisher,

Would you consider using MySQL for the DB? What you are asking seems really simple if you use php and MySQL. The php of course would be for the web interface.

You ask about modules, are you looking to use a specific CMS for this?

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_m View Post
Hello KiwiFisher,

Would you consider using MySQL for the DB? What you are asking seems really simple if you use php and MySQL. The php of course would be for the web interface.

You ask about modules, are you looking to use a specific CMS for this?
Yea, I was thinking SQL was going to be the way to go... I don't have any specifics, no. I've very new to databases and am still learning the basics of MySQL. This here gyazo dot com/3f55dd0717d7d42d8232ddaf05a74ace is the website concept. People need to be able to select drop down boxes in the modify search area and have relevant results that match all parameters displayed.

Any idea who I could go to to get this done? We have set a $350-$400 budget for basic site design.

Thanks for the reply