Unlimited Everything....

As I search for different "deals" for both web hosting and stream hosting (i.e. SHOUTcast streaming), I see many great deals. Some look too good to be true.

When I see "unlimited", I am left wondering if anything truly is "unlimited". Don't Hard drives have limits? Bandwidth usages etc?

My question come about from searching for a SHOUTcast provider, I found a few that were offering unlimited bandwidth, unlimited listener slots, and for the autoDJ, unlimited disk space, etc.

Is this really possible? I find it hard to see "unlimited" anything for just a few dollars a month.

Can someone enlighten me before I purchase something I might regret?

Thanks,
    Cal

Can I tell you a secret? There is no such thing as unlimited. Disk space, bandwidth, and every other resource offered is physically limited in one way or another. Hosts offer unlimited resources knowing that there's a certain balance between the customers that underuse and the customers that overuse. So it's typically not a problem, and just because the word "unlimited" shows up as a 'feature' doesn't mean you're being scammed. Do some research on the hosting provider and come to your own conclusion.

there a no such thing as unlimited diskspace and bandwith the company who offer unlimited have true limit hidden in their tos
    i will to pay $1000/mo if there are true unlimited diskspace provider

The word "Unlimited" is a marketing tricks to attract customer nothing else from my point of view.
    AdroitSSD LLC - Incredible™ Hosting Platform| In Business Since 2012 | 24/7 Real Support
    Pure SSD Hosting - 90 Days Moneyback Guarantee! | LiteSpeed + LSCache | 99.95% Uptime | CloudLinux
    SSD KVM VPS - INTENSE™ DDOS Protection |1 Gbit port Speed | LiteSpeed & Softaculous License

Quote Originally Posted by Tuguhost View Post
    i will to pay $1000/mo if there are true unlimited diskspace provider
    I will pay $1000/m for a large vehicle with an unlimited gas tank......which could also be a bad thing. Standing for hours filling gas in a tank that never ends!!!

Unfortunately its just a marketing gimmick, spend your money on a realistic plan.

Yup, no such thing as an unlimited HDD

There all, like the others say,gimmicks and marketing sales methods to get you to sign up...

unlimited bandwidth can be possible if you end up paying for a dedicated unmetered port.
    CFG Web Hosting Company, Haryana, India
    Premium CDN Based cPanel Hosting & Dedicated Servers
    Follow Twitter:@cfghosting - www.cfg.co.in - +91.8988113379

Yes everything is unlimited!also number of sold services (oversales)
    in BW they can give you unmetered traffic but for disk space it is impossible,you can ask them a simple question : can i use your service as file center?
    in all of unlimited services there is a hidden limit,for example in unlimited traffic with 100mbps port after use of for example 500GB bw your speed will decrease to 10mbps!

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    I will pay $1000/m for a large vehicle with an unlimited gas tank......which could also be a bad thing. Standing for hours filling gas in a tank that never ends!!!
    Mate personally I would love Unlimited British fish and chips, haha.

Yes OP it's not real, it's called a marketing gimmick because they hope no customer hits over a certain limit. Same with SEO Hosting.

Don't we learn at school that nothing is unlimited?

I choose not to use my signature for advertising.

It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

Quote Originally Posted by cfgguy View Post
    unlimited bandwidth can be possible if you end up paying for a dedicated unmetered port.
    I highlighted the problem with your statement.
    Well, one of them.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Personally I find stream hosting easier to offer unlimited then normal web hosting. From my experience, most users will only grow so big and not be an issue.

Web hosting, unlimited bandwidth isn't really all too hard to offer though I personally am not ready to offer it yet. With a lot of dedicated server companies offering 10-20tb+ of bandwidth and some shared servers only averaging 10-15mbit constant, bandwidth is very rarely an issue.

I've yet to see unlimited cpu,memory, i/o etc. But the main thing being offered is doable to an extent.

But anyways, check out their terms of service first. Most if not all will say you can use unlimited space and bandwidth but then limit your other resources like cpu and ram. I wouldn't really consider it misleading but more like the market moving into a different direction where space and bandwidth is really less of a concern and other resources being the focus. The problem here I see is a lot of people still don't understand how space and bandwidth works so trying to show them something even different then that is troublesome.

But but but but ... what about those unlimited Olive Garden breadsticks? I always thought those were unlimited

Quote Originally Posted by GreenValueHost View Post
    But but but but ... what about those unlimited Olive Garden breadsticks? I always thought those were unlimited
    There unlimited to the point where you cant eat anymore

Quote Originally Posted by xCubeHost View Post

This is why Ipecac exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Callous View Post
    Don't Hard drives have limits? Bandwidth usages etc?
    Not any more according to some providers. Bandwidth can be unmetered but not unlimited. I personally want to have unlimited port connectivity on my server or if some one want to limit it - the 1000 yottabyte (YiB) will do.
    Explore our outstanding VPS choices tailored to your budget, and we welcome reasonable offers.
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

I've never seen a provider provide unlimited hard disk space before. But if you do find one it's definitely a scam

Quote Originally Posted by Buycpanel-Kevin View Post
    I've never seen a provider provide unlimited hard disk space before. But if you do find one it's definitely a scam
    I disagree with it being a scam. Lets look at the meaning of "unlimited"

un·lim·it·ed
    ˌənˈlimitid
    adjective
    adjective: unlimited
    1.not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent.
    Offering unlimited disk space could simply mean nothing more then not setting a limit. As we all know that unlimited disk space is impossible due to the physical restrictions of the technology used in a server.

Now, couldn't a host that uses a cloud based shared hosting offer unlimited disk space, when space is running low they just add an additional node and distribute the data.

Just food for thought. Correct me if I am wrong please.

<<Signature to be setup in your profile>>
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 02-10-2014 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TandGWeb View Post
    Lets look at the meaning of "unlimited"
    Ok.
    "1.not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent."

Unlimited offers are pretty much always limited to a set number of inodes (files), for one.
    What do I win?
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Quote Originally Posted by Callous View Post
    My question come about from searching for a SHOUTcast provider, I found a few that were offering unlimited bandwidth, unlimited listener slots, and for the autoDJ, unlimited disk space, etc.

Is this really possible? I find it hard to see "unlimited" anything for just a few dollars a month.
    Absolutely not possible. Think of what a server costs...A good one comparable to what we use runs around $4500 for the server. Then there are colocation fees, bandwidth, licenses, etc. Now, unfortunately UNLIMITED sells to people, but when it comes to SHOUTcast or ICEcast streaming, do NOT skimp! Any buffering or downtime will lose listeners!
    Stream101 | Affordable Media Solutions
    Shared cPanel® Web Hosting | WordPress Hosting | Premium Stream Hosting
    TOLL-FREE: (616) 277-7280 | 30 Day NO QUESTIONS Money-Back Guarantee
    100% Cogent Free Network | CloudLinux OS | Tier 1 Bandwidth | Grand Rapids, MI

Quote Originally Posted by xCubeHost View Post
    I went to an "all you can eat" Chinese restaurant recently and requested take out. The proprietor said no problem and told me to help myself. But when I went to pay he, weighed the food on a scale and charged me by the pound and not per "eat in" buffet price.

Bottom line is everything does have a cost.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    I went to an "all you can eat" Chinese restaurant recently and requested take out. The proprietor said no problem and told me to help myself. But when I went to pay he, weighed the food on a scale and charged me by the pound and not per "eat in" buffet price.

Bottom line is everything does have a cost.

WOW. Never seen that before...it's usually a fixed price.

Times are hard.

I agree with nessa about how hosting providers know that most users will not use the resources they purchase. There are some users that try to abuse resources but if the hosting provider keeps a good watch on his server and has a good TOS he will be able to suspend or cancel that abusing user.

On the subject of all-u-can eat takeout, I've seen many restaurants do the same thing where I live. The only way to get your moneys worth is to eat-in.