Static IP Address + Apache 2 + multiple sites

Hi guys,
    i have a test server here at home with a virtual machine running Ubuntu LAMP.

Whilst setting up the LAMP is of no issue, i have never attempted to host multiple websites on a static ip address before.

How does one go about setting this up?

documentation i have read so far continually refers to site 1 and site 2 URL's using .com name.

i need to be able to access both sites only using my static ip address here at home.

I believe this is what you're looking for: https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/

Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I believe this is what you're looking for: https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/
    not really...
    i have a static ip address without DNS!!!

The nearest solution to my problem is a Wordpress Multisite option. Trouble is, it is as buggy as a summer nite full of mosquitos!

I have spent 2 hours trying to read my way through a bunch of completely disjointed codex!

How in gods name is someone supposed to learn from the wordpress codex when they are being thrown from one article to another part way through...its damn useless!

Im going to try youtube

If you are not using dns(accessing the website via a domain), you could have apache listen on multiple ports and then create sites-enabled configs for each site using one of the ports.

htt p://10.0.1.1:80 SITE 1
    htt p://10.0.1.1:81 SITE 2
    htt p://10.0.1.1:82 SITE 3
    Last edited by WLH-Dale; 02-01-2014 at 08:48 AM.

Is there a reason you're not using any DNS? Maybe try DynDNS.com

Quote Originally Posted by WLH-Dale View Post
    If you are not using dns(accessing the website via a domain), you could have apache listen on multiple ports and then create sites-enabled configs for each site using one of the ports.

htt p://10.0.1.1:80 SITE 1
    htt p://10.0.1.1:81 SITE 2
    htt p://10.0.1.1:82 SITE 3

1. I had wondered about using multiple ports.

So essentially, would this mean that the user types in the appropriate port number after url in order to access the their own website under development?

2. Dont really know if i need to go down the dns pathway, its only a development test server...wouldn't it be less likely to be found and attacked from outside if i dont use dns?

DNS would be easier, but if you want to go the ports route.....

In each config in sites-enabled folder

<VirtualHost 10.1.2.3:81>

<VirtualHost 10.1.2.3:82>

<VirtualHost 10.1.2.3:83>

also edit ports.conf

NameVirtualHost *:80
    Listen 80

NameVirtualHost *:81
    Listen 81

NameVirtualHost *:82
    Listen 82

NameVirtualHost *:83
    Listen 83

Quote Originally Posted by adamjedgar View Post
    The nearest solution to my problem is a Wordpress Multisite option. Trouble is, it is as buggy as a summer nite full of mosquitos!
    That's the best description I've seen for MultiSite. Even common WP Security practices fall apart in MultiSite.

wouldn't it be less likely to be found and attacked from outside if i dont use dns?
    They will still find it.

another query,
    i have just installed centos 6.5 LAMP. on my vmvirtualbox.

from localhost everything appears to be running fine.
    Now how do i get the damn thing to broadcast the default webpage via my public ip?
    i port forwarded my rounter to the centos virtual machine, however not getting any further.

I set up an Ubuntu 13.01 desktop machine only 2 months ago without any problems...trouble is, my memory is a bit like a bucket with a hole in it im afraid...i have completely forgotten what to do next!

another query,
    i have just installed centos 6.5 LAMP. on my vmvirtualbox.

from localhost everything appears to be running fine.
    Now how do i get the damn thing to broadcast the default webpage via my public ip?
    i port forwarded my rounter to the centos virtual machine, however not getting any further.

I set up an Ubuntu 13.01 desktop machine only 2 months ago without any problems...trouble is, my memory is a bit like a bucket with a hole in it im afraid...i have completely forgotten what to do next!
    Can ping an outside network, like google?

Can your post your route? You may not have set your gateway. Check you ifcfg-eth0 files and your network file and make sure settings in them are correct.