Any one using LSI 9271-8i ? "cached data was lost due to an unexpected power-off..."

Yesterday we had a major downtime on our server, the server went down all of the sudden for no obvious reason, so far we are running memory test on Extended *slow* mode to try to figure this thing out, but did anyone had this problem before ? and what is most likely the cause of this problem ?

Does it show that the BBU or Cachevault is connected and functional? did it right before the issue? Had issues related to there extender cables getting disconnected and people not noticing. The NMS picks it up easily but sucks to have a second outage to fix the issue. Have you found the cause of the forced power off?

It means you had a power blip, and you don't have a BBU (or at least a BBU that is functioning).
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    It means you had a power blip, and you don't have a BBU (or at least a BBU that is functioning).
    Should usually set the caching to only when BBU is available.
    Hyperconnezion - your fast path to success
    IT management, Cloud and Data Center Services in Asia Pacific

Quote Originally Posted by silasmoeckel View Post
    Does it show that the BBU or Cachevault is connected and functional? did it right before the issue? Had issues related to there extender cables getting disconnected and people not noticing. The NMS picks it up easily but sucks to have a second outage to fix the issue. Have you found the cause of the forced power off?
    How to check regarding the first 2 matters you mentioned ?
    I am not sure how the cables are setup, I will ask my DC to check them out most likely..
    I havent found the cause of the forced power off unfortunately so far, but I have been running mem test for the past ~16 hours and everything looks fine so, I have simply ran HD Tune in the server went down ! what does this say to us ??!

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    I do not have a BBU I admit ! planning to buy one after this has happened it's probably a smart choice...

Quote Originally Posted by concerto49 View Post
    I will try that once the mem test is done...

The LSI 9271-8icards do not have an option for a BBU. However, there is the option for Cachevault. This is a far better solution then BBU, as the BBU batteries are not extremely reliable and should be replaced every 18 months to ensure reliability (and they are costly). Cachevault is a far better solution then a BBU, it combines NAND flash memory and a supercapacitor. In the event of a power or server failure, CacheVault technology automatically transfers cached data from the DRAM cache to flash. This technology requires no maintenance (unlike a BBU) and makes data recoverable for up to 3 years!
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

+1, same principle though. Go get one, OP
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

actually, 9271 card does support either LSIiBBU09 (BBU module 09) or LSICVM01 (CacheVault). CVM costs just ~$30 more than BBU nowadays, therefore it's a much smarter buy for the long haul.
    C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
    http://www.apaqdigital.com
    sales@apaqdigital.com

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    The LSI 9271-8icards do not have an option for a BBU. However, there is the option for Cachevault. This is a far better solution then BBU, as the BBU batteries are not extremely reliable and should be replaced every 18 months to ensure reliability (and they are costly). Cachevault is a far better solution then a BBU, it combines NAND flash memory and a supercapacitor. In the event of a power or server failure, CacheVault technology automatically transfers cached data from the DRAM cache to flash. This technology requires no maintenance (unlike a BBU) and makes data recoverable for up to 3 years!
    How to enable Cachevault ? But this did NOT resolve the server reboot problem i am mainly discussing or what is it exactly ?!

Quote Originally Posted by concerto49 View Post
    How to Do that via 9271-8i ? I have gone through the options already !
    http://grabilla.com/0411b-c9ce4468-7...ff53a36541.png

Also anyone out there guy can comment what could be the reason of the server reboots ?
    I have just done full memory test (Extended) for over 16 hours and turned out 0 errors, and done HD Tune Full test on all drives, this time it turned out just fine, please note that last time (the night the problem just started) when i ran HD Tune and did a full error check the server rebooted immediately !

But nothing is showing from the WebBIOS suggesting that there is a bad disk:
    http://grabilla.com/0411b-c9ce4468-7...ff53a36541.png

What could it be then that forced the server to reboot ??!

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by HD Seed View Post
    How to enable Cachevault ? But this did NOT resolve the server reboot problem i am mainly discussing or what is it exactly ?!

How to Do that via 9271-8i ? I have gone through the options already !
    http://grabilla.com/0411b-c9ce4468-7...ff53a36541.png.....
    like BBU module, CacheVault (NAND cache module plus giant capacitors) is a piece hardware that you need to install onto the 9271 card. upon re-powering on server, the RAID card firmware would automatically detect and enable it. you wouldn't need to do nothing!

BBU/CVM wouldn't resolve your "out-of-the-blue" reboot issue on hand, but it would prevent data stored on 9271 card's 1GB buffer getting lost in next sudden power-loss event.
    C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
    http://www.apaqdigital.com
    sales@apaqdigital.com

Quote Originally Posted by cwl@apaqdigital View Post
    like BBU module, CacheVault (NAND cache module plus giant capacitors) is a piece hardware that you need to install onto the 9271 card. upon re-powering on server, the RAID card firmware would automatically detect and enable it. you wouldn't need to do nothing!

BBU/CVM wouldn't resolve your "out-of-the-blue" reboot issue on hand, but it would prevent data stored on 9271 card's 1GB buffer getting lost in next sudden power-loss event.
    It is that reboots then my main problem, any thoughts what be the cause besides bad memory or hard drives ? (I have run full checks on both of them and non shown any errors...)

any thoughts ?!

Unfortunately since day 1 collocated this brand new machine the RAID Controller was getting pretty damn hot, reaching 78-87c,
    The DC Check and said we couldn't find anything unusual,,

Google'd a lot and many individuals saying that RAID controllers can get real hot but can't remember any mentioning the temps, or at least not so many accurate results were found

I have taken the server down and through IPMI set the chassis FANs to run @ FULL speed, and noticed the RAID controller (9270-8i) temps dropped dramatically (say around 15c~), am not sure but my theory is that the server has crashed twice due to a overheating RAID, and nothing else, as since we configured the FANs to max out the server never crashed again, unless any of you guys can suggest something else due to that problem, thank you all for your efforts,,,