Bargin basement VPS

Hi guys,

This is my first post here on WHT but been a long time lurker i am after now advice and recommendations in regards to a VPS

I am looking for a tiny spec VPS complete bare bones where i have to install everything, update and manage.

I am looking to self teach my self in server management, hardening and security techniques

If you have any recommendations that would be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by unknowtyper View Post
    Hi guys,

This is my first post here on WHT but been a long time lurker i am after now advice and recommendations in regards to a VPS

I am looking for a tiny spec VPS complete bare bones where i have to install everything, update and manage.

I am looking to self teach my self in server management, hardening and security techniques

If you have any recommendations that would be awesome
    Check out BuyVM. They're cheap but they're still a solid provider for the price they charge.

You might want to look at the VPS offers section or also Low End Talk. Those are two great resources to help find a little testing VPS.

I started learning how to manage my own servers using VPS servers from Prometeus.com and Ramnode.com (used them for some time, stopped using them, using them now again).

If I was you I would take a look at DigitalOcean and their cloud service. There you can do allot more then you can on a normal VPS, all very good when you are starting to learn. It's easy to create more servers, rebuild, make templates etc. and you only pay for what you are using, so if you make a template, and delete your VPS, you don't pay for anything. They charge you day by day.

My favorite cloud service is iwStack.com, they have even better options then digitalocean. But you have to prepay €30 to be a customer, so maybe outside your price range?
    My Top 20 benchmark list (and review site)
    Powered by: Kimsufi, backed up by: Hetzner, DigitalOcean and Vultr.com
    Also using
    SolaDrive.com (56+ months), KnownHost.com (56+ months)

The offer section will sure present you with something suitable. However, you should be more specific on how "small" is the VPS you need in order for community to better advice. Also, look for something closer to you if you want the best connectivity and low latency to your location.

Also take a look at lowendbox.com, you can find lots of great (and really cheap) deals there. Most of the offers there are also found in the offer section here at WHT.
    My Top 20 benchmark list (and review site)
    Powered by: Kimsufi, backed up by: Hetzner, DigitalOcean and Vultr.com
    Also using
    SolaDrive.com (56+ months), KnownHost.com (56+ months)

I personally recommend http://lowendspirit.com.

At 3 euros a year, it's pretty much non-profit, no-guarantees targeted at tinkerers and developers like you. That said, I find the server speeds to be fantastic and uptime to be awesome so far. The community is pretty friendly too.

If you want something a step up, I'll recommend BuyVM or BlueVM. Both offer budget plans but offer stellar service and servers.

Thank you for all your replied i shall be checking out all of your suggestions this evening when all is quite

Quote Originally Posted by unknowtyper View Post
    Thank you for all your replied i shall be checking out all of your suggestions this evening when all is quite
    Good luck with your search, let us know who you choose!

Lastly +1 @ lowendbox.com -- tons of low-end offers available.
    〓〓 RackNerd LLC - Introducing Infrastructure Stability
    〓〓 Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud, DRaaS, Colocation, VPS, DDoS Mitigation, Shared & Reseller Hosting
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/
    〓〓 My fancy email dustin@racknerd.com

If you're looking for the US or NL, Ramnode is no-brainer.

Hi guys,

Just wanted to come back and update i have now purchased a small testing VPS from VPS nodes seems to be working great for a need it for i found it via low end box website

if you want for test you can find some thing for 1$/mo in https://dollarvps.com/

I will say check DigitalOcean.com because:

1) Hourly billing. When you do not need VPS, just delete it.

2) Create / delete VPS any time from your control panel. It takes just 1-2 minutes.

3) Lots of OS templates to choose.

4) Multiple location option.
    YagHost - Fast Reliable Hosting Since 2009
    Managed VPS - NVMe DirectAdmin
    Web Hosting - NVMe SSD, AMD EPYC, 10 Gbps (US, Europe, Singapore)

Quote Originally Posted by YagHost-Ravi View Post
    I will say check DigitalOcean.com because:

1) Hourly billing. When you do not need VPS, just delete it.

2) Create / delete VPS any time from your control panel. It takes just 1-2 minutes.

3) Lots of OS templates to choose.

4) Multiple location option.
    yes, DigitalOcean.com is best in many ways, but no management, you need to manage your own server.

Quote Originally Posted by hostaq View Post
    yes, DigitalOcean.com is best in many ways, but no management, you need to manage your own server.
    OP needs VPS for learning purpose. DO is very stable and fast.
    YagHost - Fast Reliable Hosting Since 2009
    Managed VPS - NVMe DirectAdmin
    Web Hosting - NVMe SSD, AMD EPYC, 10 Gbps (US, Europe, Singapore)